Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » Advice Request (Looking to try autocross...)
Advice Request [message #121952] Wed, 30 May 2018 13:07 Go to previous message
Martinb is currently offline  Martinb   
First Gear

I looked up my user name and password, logged on, and found I haven't inquired about autocross in more than 6 years. I never did make it to an event in that time, though I did a few track days with the Northern California Shelby Club. Track days may be out for me going forward due to family issues at home, but I'm thinking I can still get a one day "track fix" with some auto crossing. I saw some events many decades ago and it looked like a blast. Never did autocross my Porsche powered VW bus, though. So, some questions.....

1. I live in San Jose near Campbell and would like as local an event as possible. I'm flexible on time and date. How do I go about finding the best event to attend? Keep in mind I've never autocrossed but I do have track experience.

2. I'm hoping my car is suitable. It's a 2006 first generation convertible Mini. It has the factory installed roll bars behind the rear seat. (Which hardly qualifies as a seat as there's no leg room.) It's also a full JCW car with the following equipment and modifications:

6 speed Getrag box.
An actual limited slip differential, not electronic.
Front strut tower brace.
Aftermarket SS coolant tank.
Tires are Michelin Super Sports slightly oversize. (215/40-18 vs 205's)
Factory big brakes with Stoptech slotted rotors, SS lines, Hawk HP+ pads all around, and the rear caliper rubber bushings have been replaced with aftermarket bronze ones.
NM Engineering adjustable lower rear control arms.
And a few other things I've likely forgotten.

I also have installed a Schroth four point harness and my helmet is a current Shoei RF1200 motorcycle helmet with a Snell 2015 rating. I also have gloves and driving shoes.

Finally, the car has been recently serviced by BR Racing in Los Gatos and is in tip top shape all fresh fluids including high performance brake fluid.

Any and all advice on where/when to run is appreciated as well as any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

Martin

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2018 13:08]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: AutoCross NooB
Next Topic: The AutoX n00bie Post
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jan 20 12:27:00 PST 2019