Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » www.baautox.com » Suggestions » New forum for photos taken at events.
New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1808] Mon, 20 February 2006 23:52 Go to next message
Inner Nerd is currently offline  Inner Nerd   United States
Second Gear

Would it be possible to open up a sub-forum for posting up pictures from events?

Seems like a photo gallery is something that this forum is missing.

Max
1995 BMW M3 BS-N #177

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2006 23:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1813 is a reply to message #1808] Tue, 21 February 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

I've thought about doing this, actually. It would be good if we can keep the picture size not huge, though. If the bandwidth gets too out of control, the monthly cost for the site will increase by a lot. Lemme see what I can do. Good idea.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1818 is a reply to message #1808] Tue, 21 February 2006 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vtluu is currently offline  vtluu   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR, FORUM SPONSOR

Is there a way to get someone like Shutterfly or Ofoto (etc.) to host photos if they're linked to their site? I'm sure some online photo house is willing to host photos in return for the opportunity to sell prints.

Come to think of it, I suppose a photo forum is trivial if people have to provide their own image hosting. We-todd-did-racing hosts (or used to anyway, looks like their site is currently down) photos for free. I use NorCalEvo to hosts photos as well.

Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
SFR-SCCA Solo Steering Committee

1999 Miata, #10 ITS / CSP
2003 Evo 8, #12 STU / OSP
2011 SFR-SCCA Improved Touring S Champion

[Updated on: Tue, 21 February 2006 11:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1819 is a reply to message #1808] Tue, 21 February 2006 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Second Gear

Well I was thinking that the pictures would probably be linked from an outside source so it's not really going to tax the forum bandwidth too much.

If people are still using the forum bandwidth to upload pictures, there could be a way to limit pixel size and total attachment storage per user.

Max
1995 BMW M3 BS-N #177
Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1820 is a reply to message #1818] Tue, 21 February 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Second Gear

vtluu wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 11:23

Is there a way to get someone like Shutterfly or Ofoto (etc.) to host photos if they're linked to their site? I'm sure some online photo house is willing to host photos in return for the opportunity to sell prints.

Yep, there are places like www.myphotoalbum.com that will let you hotlink to images on their site. If not, then at least they let you post a link to the entire album so that you could share the album.

Max
1995 BMW M3 BS-N #177
Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1822 is a reply to message #1808] Tue, 21 February 2006 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

IMO, it's kind of a pain for people to post pix someplace and then link to them. This forum supports attachments and I currently have the attachment limit set to 2MB. Frankly, that is plenty since many people don't run anything higher than 1280X1024 on their pc, so the browser ends up scaling the image anyways. But it would be nice for people that have fancy cameras to up their pic without having to change the resolution.

I will look into doing some scaling on the backend and putting together a separate photo upload area. I don't think it will be too difficult. I just need to find some time! In the meantime, I'll set up a "Photos" forum. If someone can write a how-to explaining how to up pix to some 3rd party site and link to them, I'll sticky it. I'll make a post of what the forum limitations are so people will know what sizes, maximum number of attatchments, etc are per post. How's that sound?

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Re: New forum for photos taken at events. [message #1824 is a reply to message #1808] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:06 Go to previous message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

OK boys and girls. Here ya go! http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=1 1&rid=3&S=120adf2a09a0d6c0a206f064fafb86f6

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Previous Topic: Not a suggestion..
Next Topic: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 20:04:35 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00786 seconds