Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » www.baautox.com » Suggestions » Board doesn't show that I'm logged in
Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #1547] Thu, 02 February 2006 17:24 Go to next message
LudemanDan is currently offline  LudemanDan   United States
Third Gear

On the top of the page it says I'm logged in, but down below where it lists the active members, it says nobody is on. It looks like this has always been a problem because the most users ever online was 5, back in October. Why would it not show me in the list when I'm logged in?

94 Prelude Si #80 GS

The only thing that needs adjusting is the nut behind the wheel.
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #1551 is a reply to message #1547] Thu, 02 February 2006 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

For security reasons (like if you log in on a public computer somewhere,) I have the board set to cancel your login session after 24 hours. For more info, you can check out an earlier post about this subject: http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=21&s tart=0&S=fe30227212dbd8b25b93f8829f5cd707

Lately, I've been thinking about making the session never expire, since it seems like most message boards now at least offer to always log you in automatically. There haven't been any issues that I have noticed with people saying that they didn't post something. I'll kick the idea around for another day and will likely set the sessions to never expire.

The active member thing has actually always been broken. Basically, it is not real-time. It magically decides what to show there by some criteria unknown to me. There is a later version of the message board software that I am testing to determine what is involved in upgrading. I did some custom mods to the board and I don't want them to get wiped out during an upgrade, so I need to test that well before I make the upgrade.

Since the question has been posed again about automatically being logged in whenever you come back to the site, what would everyone prefer? If 3 other people reply back and say that they don't want to be logged out after 24 hours, I'll change that now. Otherwise, I'll think about it for a little longer and probably change it anyways.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #1552 is a reply to message #1547] Fri, 03 February 2006 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LudemanDan is currently offline  LudemanDan   United States
Third Gear

Well, I wasn't asking about automatic login, so that's kind of OT, but it would be nice. Every other board I know of keeps the cookie active.

94 Prelude Si #80 GS

The only thing that needs adjusting is the nut behind the wheel.
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #1559 is a reply to message #1547] Fri, 03 February 2006 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BRIAN is currently offline  BRIAN   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD CONTRIBUTOR

I say let the session never expire, or maybe set it for 30 days if that is possible. Call me lazy but I hate logging in.

Brian Jacobson
98 ESP SS Camaro #3
75 CP Monza (under construction)
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2081 is a reply to message #1559] Sun, 05 March 2006 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vtluu is currently offline  vtluu   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR, FORUM SPONSOR

BRIAN wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 11:02

I say let the session never expire, or maybe set it for 30 days if that is possible. Call me lazy but I hate logging in.

Second that motion. I don't know if there's some bug with the session expiration, some weird cookie snafu or what but I still get logged out about 50% of the time even though I visit this site 2-3 times a day, every day. Annoying.

Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
SFR-SCCA Solo Steering Committee

1999 Miata, #10 ITS / CSP
2003 Evo 8, #12 STU / OSP
2011 SFR-SCCA Improved Touring S Champion
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2086 is a reply to message #1547] Sun, 05 March 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

Yeah, I think the cookie handling is broken on this version. I set the expire times for 7 days and 30 days and they definitely don't go that long. I plan to upgrade the forum software, but I need to set up a dev box and to a test upgrade first. Hmmm... now if only I had some time...

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2278 is a reply to message #1547] Thu, 09 March 2006 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
macr88 is currently offline  macr88   United States
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

forum works
camber first Very Happy

-mac-
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2747 is a reply to message #1547] Fri, 24 March 2006 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Inner Nerd is currently offline  Inner Nerd   United States
Second Gear

Just to add flames to the cookie handling fire:
http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=384& start=0&rid=0&S=8688c75da07abcd96da72ed4814249bc

For whatever reason, the forum thinks someone else is signed in as me after I sent a link following a post.

The forum software has some really serious login issues.

Max
1995 BMW M3 BS-N #177

[Updated on: Fri, 24 March 2006 21:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2755 is a reply to message #1547] Sat, 25 March 2006 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

I saw that post and I was wondering if that's what you meant. Technically, what you experienced can't happen because of what happens "under the hood" of your web browser's interaction with the site. But, clearly it did. I'll put the upgrading to the latest version as a priority for tomorrow. I will need to take the site down for a little while to do the upgrade, though. Thanks for the additional info about this issue.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Re: Board doesn't show that I'm logged in [message #2765 is a reply to message #2755] Sat, 25 March 2006 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Inner Nerd is currently offline  Inner Nerd   United States
Second Gear

gotzoom? wrote on Sat, 25 March 2006 06:12

I saw that post and I was wondering if that's what you meant. Technically, what you experienced can't happen because of what happens "under the hood" of your web browser's interaction with the site. But, clearly it did. I'll put the upgrading to the latest version as a priority for tomorrow. I will need to take the site down for a little while to do the upgrade, though. Thanks for the additional info about this issue.

Cool deal. Just don't keep it down too long, I might go into withdrawl. Laughing

Max
1995 BMW M3 BS-N #177
Previous Topic: New forum for photos taken at events.
Next Topic: New smilie???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 12:51:23 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00949 seconds