Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » Trailer Axle Alignment specs (Light duty single axle 4x6 utility trailer)
Trailer Axle Alignment specs [message #122692] Mon, 29 April 2019 15:52 Go to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

I installed a new and heavier 2000lb axle for my luggage hauler. I took out the ridiculous amount of positive camber and got it to zero. I doubt any load will require camber. Now, I set the toe to a total of 1/8" toe-in. Am I good to go, or should I try to get it closer to dead straight? I want best tire wear, tracking stability and pull efficiency.

Jim
Re: Trailer Axle Alignment specs [message #122693 is a reply to message #122692] Tue, 30 April 2019 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Well, tire wear and pull *efficiency* may work a little against tracking stability... Just like in the rear axles of our cars, a little toe-in stabilizes, whereas zero toe is looser. Toe-in would add some wear to the tires and require more towing effort, though I have no solid idea of how much... And if there is play in the suspension such that static toe-in (at rest) goes away under load, then it may be that some static toe-in is best for wear too. But I'd pay more for safety/stability....
Re: Trailer Axle Alignment specs [message #122697 is a reply to message #122693] Thu, 02 May 2019 14:57 Go to previous message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Thanks, Joe. After the alignment, I could pull it around my garage with ease. Went for a trip down the freeway and my fave section with aggressive grooves for testing and all seems well at 1/8 total toe-in.

Jim
Previous Topic: Threaded bushing for oil filter
Next Topic: The list for "Where to get tire?"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 22 14:17:28 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00809 seconds