Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » ROUND 17 HAS BEEN CANCELLED (Low turnout leads to financial loss)
icon4.gif  ROUND 17 HAS BEEN CANCELLED [message #122490] Tue, 27 November 2018 10:59 Go to next message
Youmna is currently offline  Youmna   United States
Second Gear

Due to low pre-registration numbers, the final round of the season is at risk of cancellation.

If you're on the fence, now is the time to register. We will make the decision to cancel tonight if numbers are still low.

Pre-reg here: http://msreg.com/SFRC1817

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2018 11:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ROUND 17 AT RISK OF CANCELLATION [message #122491 is a reply to message #122490] Wed, 28 November 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youmna is currently offline  Youmna   United States
Second Gear

SFR Round 17 has been cancelled due to low registration.

We hope to see everyone at the 2018 Awards Banquet on January 12, 2019, at the Drying Shed!
Re: ROUND 17 AT RISK OF CANCELLATION [message #122492 is a reply to message #122491] Wed, 28 November 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJinCP is currently offline  MJinCP
First Gear

Maybe this is why the Slush Series was created. I know a good friend of mine is down to the wire on points to win his class, with the last event going to be the deciding factor. Kinda anti-climactic. Better to end the season in Sept or Oct with a final round.

Mike

55 ES
2000 Mazda Miata
Re: ROUND 17 AT RISK OF CANCELLATION [message #122493 is a reply to message #122492] Wed, 28 November 2018 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

MJinCP wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 11:59
Maybe this is why the Slush Series was created. I know a good friend of mine is down to the wire on points to win his class, with the last event going to be the deciding factor. Kinda anti-climactic. Better to end the season in Sept or Oct with a final round.

For SFR - GS, and to a lesser degree CS, were the only two classes with final round points contention. Even then it was improbable the standings would have changed in the final round. The rest of the classes were decided a long time ago. Still, yes it does suck to go out on a wimper.

There will likely be changes for next season to make things a bit more competitive and also combat against points-event burnout. Surprised

'15 STX #1/87

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2018 14:29]

Report message to a moderator

Reaction! ROUND 17 CANCELLATION [message #122494 is a reply to message #122491] Wed, 28 November 2018 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37099434@N02/45370081254/in/dateposted-public/

feel free to mention this to Glen (all in good fun, it's not good to be the messenger).

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Reaction! ROUND 17 CANCELLATION [message #122495 is a reply to message #122494] Wed, 28 November 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Used to be 16 rounds was the norm. Too bad, but the reality is that people have other distractions this time of year. Holiday planning and inclement weather causes people to stay home and, unfortunately, the impending doom of late year lay-offs. Nowadays, the cost to put on an event makes low turnout cancellation more common.

Have a safe and happy holiday season, everyone!

Jim
Re: ROUND 17 AT RISK OF CANCELLATION [message #122496 is a reply to message #122492] Wed, 28 November 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

MJinCP wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 11:59

I personally love to have events nearly all year and wouldn't want to stop having them just because there was a chance of cancellation. I just don't see the reasoning here. It is rare, and fun, to have a down to the wire last event situation, I have been in only a couple in many seasons. It's just the combo of lower turnout (was also typical when we had a Slush season), weather, the distance we have to drive to the venue now, and all that December means in terms of people's time commitments that combined to torpedo this one event.

But if you have an opinion or preference you want to express, bring it to the Steering Committee meetings! Next one is December 6th.

Slush was, I believe, originally based on the idea that the season up to the Nationals was The Championship. Then the events after that were because we could continue to have events when most of the rest of the country was entering Winter. Those tuning themselves and their cars for the big show sometimes took the Fall off, and that meant that others could have a chance for a win, change classes, setups, or whatever. When there has been a Slush it's always been treated as a second-string season, not earning winners a jacket, getting a smaller trophy without a picture (or none at all like last time we had one). And even those represented an extra expense to the club, for the more or less same numbers of entrants.

The name 'Slush' was a sly commentary at everyone else's seasonal change. There may have been an SFR event at some point with freezing temperatures; we did have a Divisional in Santa Clara in 39 degree rain with snow visible on Mt. Hamilton.

California is pretty unique in the total lack of rain period. It's a valuable skill to learn to race in the wet because something like this year's deluge at Nationals can happen. I was looking forward to this weekend too (says the guy with AWD Cool )

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: ROUND 17 AT RISK OF CANCELLATION [message #122497 is a reply to message #122496] Thu, 29 November 2018 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nokones is currently offline  nokones   
Second Gear

Back in the day, the Slush Series was a 5 event series with one drop event, and one of the events was hosted by the Sacramento Chapter. The series ran from after Nationals to December and it was held rain or shine thus, that is where the series named came from.

Kenneth Allan Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com
Re: ROUND 17 HAS BEEN CANCELLED [message #122499 is a reply to message #122490] Sat, 01 December 2018 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nokones is currently offline  nokones   
Second Gear

How many entries does it take to break even for running an event at Crows Landng?

Kenneth Allan Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com
Re: ROUND 17 HAS BEEN CANCELLED [message #122501 is a reply to message #122499] Sat, 01 December 2018 19:13 Go to previous message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

90-100 for SFR, though that will likely change next season.

'15 STX #1/87
Previous Topic: SFR Final Round
Next Topic: Remaining SFR Steering Committee meetings rescheduled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:11:48 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01066 seconds