Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 (More than a few DNF's from missing key parts of the courses ...)
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122191 is a reply to message #122190] Tue, 07 August 2018 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

JourdanWithaU wrote on Tue, 07 August 2018 07:16
Sunday's course was much better than Saturday.

With preliminary results up, we have the following statistics.

Saturday: 558 runs, 77 DNFs (13.79%), 1 driver with no time*
Sunday: 476 runs, 46 DNFs (9.66%), 3 drivers with no time.

*Attempted 2 runs, DNF both.

Wow. Lots of DNF and very low run counts for very long days.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122193 is a reply to message #122191] Tue, 07 August 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Back in my day, you got 3 and done and without pointer cones. We also made every effort to line the entire course and provide something for the veterans, but not too challenging for new participants. And I know on more than one occasion, an element was "improved" between run groups to make it flow and/or address a safety issue. Have we gone the other way? National type courses with tons of memory tricks and a sea of cones? I recall we had at least one year with over 700 individual participants. Lots of people gave up and that's not good for business. Obviously, entry limits are useful. Can you imagine 400 folks showing up at one round? I'd like us to reach out to those with DNF's and try to make them feel welcome some how and not to give up. Maybe a free burrito? How can we retain our clients and give good value for everyone, as well? If SFR is drawing lots of new drivers, a close eye needs to observe how they're doing. Are we still doing rookie orientation? Yes, it's difficult, but we've been able to get it done before.

Jim
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122194 is a reply to message #122183] Tue, 07 August 2018 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

Hracer wrote on Mon, 06 August 2018 12:15
In my opinion, this was hand down the best nationals practice course I've ran at Crows this year. It most definitely required several elements that squarely come in to play at nationals:

- made great use of the Crows site to facilitate having a course with bunch of sweepers that we see on the square lots in Lincoln
- very important to learn the course during the walk and know the line in your head
- look ahead while driving
- learn to anticipate and set up for the next elements
- had some deceivingly quick sections that were easy to slow down too much for and not maximize your speed through them

We were not there on Sunday, but thanks again for the wonderfully appropriate course on Saturday!

Thanks Smile

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 370Z

Sandbagger #2
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122197 is a reply to message #122193] Tue, 07 August 2018 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Good comments from all, thank you!

There are only 7 events in the full Results at this time and there are already 492 participants listed. While they aren't all unique because of class movements, we are likely on target for >600 unique individuals for the year. As gets discussed almost every year, that says we have a LOT of people who don't choose to keep coming back. DNF's hurt us here, and the extra efforts Craig and others have put forth are valuable. It means more volunteer time, for sure.

Yes, the afternoon groups were light. It wasn't just the old bugaboo of allowing lots of a.m. fun runs, FWIW there were only 19 fun runs at this event. About 155 participants so that's just barely enough to support 5 run groups once you count out 65 years+, and setup workers, assuming nearly perfect leveling between run groups.

The narrow grid area (this event) and distance from the paddock at Crows make placement of the PA somewhat more important. I'll suggest that having the speakers both within 15' of the trailer is not the way to go. The FM addition to announcing has been proven of great value for well over a decade and I suggest we move it back up into "don't set up without it" status. I will be glad to discuss this with whoever has the master plan for how the PA gets set up, as the antenna needs to be on the roof for best coverage.

There are always rookies, just more this time because of Starting Line and VetMotorsports. So why does the driver's meeting get shorter and shorter as the year progresses? Checklist time?

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122198 is a reply to message #122197] Tue, 07 August 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

Were there drivers meetings this weekend?

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
33 CAM-C
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122199 is a reply to message #122198] Tue, 07 August 2018 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mpozzi is currently offline  mpozzi   Canada
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

gregb wrote on Tue, 07 August 2018 20:28
Were there drivers meetings this weekend?

Yes. Both morning and afternoon had Drivers Meetings.

Mary Pozzi
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122200 is a reply to message #122199] Tue, 07 August 2018 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

Ok, now I remember the Sunday AM meeting but for the life of me I don't remember anything from Saturday afternoon although I must have been there for it. I guess too much sun baking my brain.

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
33 CAM-C
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122202 is a reply to message #122200] Wed, 08 August 2018 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2159ClassicRed is currently offline  2159ClassicRed   
Fourth Gear

gregb wrote on Tue, 07 August 2018 20:57
I guess too much sun baking my brain.

That's probably true for most of us that were there this weekend.

Happy Motoring,
Kurt
13' Snowfalkens
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122203 is a reply to message #122171] Wed, 08 August 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toy4speed is currently offline  toy4speed   
Sixth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

I only attended on Saturday, but thought it was a great event considering the special circumstances of the day. Hot weather, lots of new folks, limited grid/paddock areas, made things a bit more difficult. Still, great course design, lots of fun, challenging. Not the best design for a first time autoxer, but events are seldom catered to a single group, nature of the sport. The only things I kept thinking about for improving the enjoyment of the event was the need for 2 PA speakers placed so participants could hear, 2 timer displays so the timing slip person and easily see one, the participants see the other. I've always liked the National style of one timing display on top of the trailer, but that's me. The live.axti.me program is awesome when working, supplementing the PA and displays, but when all three are not really working, it takes away a lot of the excitement during the runs. Not sure the FM transmission would help significantly, it seems much of the younger folks barely know what AM and FM are, and many cars don't have FM anyway.
Besides the number of DNF's being significant, I'm also concerned about how many cone calls or DNF calls may not have been successfully made, either from technical calling issues or possibly not noticed by workers (many with minimal experience). Lots of friends wonder why at my age I still like to work the course, chasing cones. My reason is the course needs a certain number of experienced workers for a good event. It seems most events are seeing more newbs manning the work stations. One of the joys of going to a Nationals event, that most every worker knows what to do. Maybe this is just a growing phase.

Big thanks to everyone putting on this past weekends event, it really was a tremendous job, and with a few basic changes, most issues will be corrected.

Don

'84 Toyota Supra, #52 SM
'08 Chevrolet Z06, #52 AS
celicasupra.com, LB Racing,
Stranoparts.com
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122204 is a reply to message #122203] Wed, 08 August 2018 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Part of the problem, especially with a seasoned driver that DNF'd all 4 runs on Sunday, is that the driver did not know that he was dnf'ing until his last run when I saw him dnf and told him where it was. The time slip station was too far away from the trailer to hear anything so the time slips didn't day dnf.

Is there an option with our new timer system to have the time display to simply show "DNF" if a dnf is recorded?

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2018 08:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Marina Auto-x July 14 & 15
Next Topic: SCC Auto-X September 1 & 2 Marina
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 21 18:30:35 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01055 seconds