Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 (More than a few DNF's from missing key parts of the courses ...)
SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122171] Sun, 05 August 2018 21:30 Go to next message
mpozzi is currently offline  mpozzi   Canada
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Curious to see just HOW MANY? I heard that some DNF'd all of their runs and that's not good.
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122172 is a reply to message #122171] Sun, 05 August 2018 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkonion is currently offline  darkonion   
Sixth Gear

Mary, I DNF'ed my third run yesterday and almost missed the same element again my 4th run.

I thought today's course was a little more straight forward. Though... I did struggle with being able to see this element https://youtu.be/ugDoNLToPKg?t=44s. I got through it just fine for all my runs, but thought it might have looked indistinguishable when driving at speed.

37 whp and 124 ft-lbs of fury!!
www.darkonion.com

[Updated on: Sun, 05 August 2018 22:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122173 is a reply to message #122172] Sun, 05 August 2018 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

I know one person who DNF'd all 4 runs on Saturday and I think I saw in the scoring there was at least one person with 4 DNF's Sunday.

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
33 CAM-C
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122174 is a reply to message #122173] Mon, 06 August 2018 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JourdanWithaU is currently offline  JourdanWithaU   United States
Sixth Gear

Lots.

I was hoping to be able to look up runs on ati.me. But it looks like we only post live on there. I'm sure preliminary results will be up soon.

The course this weekend definitely required a lot of awareness. I was in the trailer for RG1 on Sat. There were more calls for DNFs than for cones.

Jourdan R.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
151 STM-SM
Njenius Grafix
Lubrify Racing Fluids
Auto Innovations
RBMS Auto Care
GST Motorsports
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122175 is a reply to message #122174] Mon, 06 August 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tigermack is currently offline  tigermack   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

We have instructors willing to offer help in all run groups, how come no one asked when they have continually DNF? There wasn't many challenging visual spots besides one right after the crossover, if there was a course walk done, there shouldn't be a problem.

Mack Tsang
13 BRZ #188
05 Mazda3 FSP #188 - retired
prevs. 07 Mazdaspeed & 95 BMW STX #188

http://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

Sandbagger #1
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122176 is a reply to message #122175] Mon, 06 August 2018 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mpozzi is currently offline  mpozzi   Canada
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

As instructors, we might want to seek out those competitors that are struggling instead of waiting for them to find us. One of the newcomers I spoke to after their runs (I think they DNF'd over half of their runs but can't be sure) said they didn't want to bother us and tried to figure it out by themselves. To me, that's not setting a good example of what our sport is about and I'll do my best in the future to help more.
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122177 is a reply to message #122174] Mon, 06 August 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brmxr4ti is currently offline  brmxr4ti   United States
Top Time of Day

Hello All,

So I thought the course was great and you had to look way ahead to drive the course without a DNF and with Fresno and Sac Chapter's showing up this weekend it felt like we had a lot of people not seeing a course this size in sometime and then add the lack of lining the course (not the course designer fault) did make it hard to read. I liked the course very much and the 2 cones going to the left to start the slalom was great. The only DNF's I saw was the double left sided cones before the slalom and when the same person did it twice I thought it was odd because he came with people he knows? should have said something after the first time he DNF.

If someone DNF 4 times it should be on all of us (Bad, Bad) that he drove the course 4 times with no help, with all the season Vet's in SCCA and you hear someone had DNF his/her second time that should be a red flag to help that person out. I don't want to put it on one person to make sure everyone doesn't DNF, it should be on all of us to listen, watch, and then help out.

Does anyone know where the DNF's were was it one place/section or just all over place, did the people that DNF'ed all 4 runs do it in the same place or in different places?.

Anyways Justin great job on the course design even with me asking "is this right" LOL

Ben

DSPXR4ti 2009 DSP National Champion
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122178 is a reply to message #122177] Mon, 06 August 2018 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

I know that some people didn't know they DNF'd. At least on Sunday the time slip person couldn't hear the PA so just gave out timeslips with the raw times and didn't note a DNF.

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
33 CAM-C
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122179 is a reply to message #122178] Mon, 06 August 2018 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

Was instructing at Starting Line Saturday so can't speak to the course, but Sunday was good. The visuals on the middle/back before the tight turn around definitely required looking further ahead. Overall the course was fun, and drove better than it walked for sure.

The one thing to keep in mind is that courses are not supposed to be a game of memory or have some sort of visual trickery. This is about our ability to drive not our ability to decipher a codex. Visuals should be easy to pick out and follow. That's not always easy to accomplish as a course designer, I know. For weekends with Starting Line or other types of schools, we really should be focusing on allowing these new people to succeed. Getting a lot of experienced course designers to weigh in on the visuals is something that should always be encouraged and taken into account.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122180 is a reply to message #122178] Mon, 06 August 2018 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

If the driver and coach don't know where the dnf's occurred, you've got a real challenge on your hands. A thorough course walk and a printed map near the trailer is all one can offer and it's up to the drivers to pay attention.

Jim
Previous Topic: Marina Auto-x July 14 & 15
Next Topic: SCC Auto-X September 1 & 2 Marina
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Feb 23 06:03:21 PST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01388 seconds