Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup (info)
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121824 is a reply to message #121823] Wed, 02 May 2018 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkonion is currently offline  darkonion   United States
Sixth Gear

Happy Cone Dodging everyone! I'll be on the East Coast for my cousin's wedding.

37 whp and 124 ft-lbs of fury!!
www.darkonion.com
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121825 is a reply to message #121820] Wed, 02 May 2018 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carnumber6 is currently offline  carnumber6   United States
First Gear

Tony are you saying you'll help? or just appreciating his linguistic skills?
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121826 is a reply to message #121825] Wed, 02 May 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

carnumber6 wrote on Wed, 02 May 2018 15:36
Tony are you saying you'll help? or just appreciating his linguistic skills?

┬┐Por que no los dos?

'15 STX #1/87
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121832 is a reply to message #121826] Fri, 04 May 2018 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funCarStuff is currently offline  funCarStuff   United States
First Gear

Hi everyone. New member here, hoping to make it out the Marina event on the 12th. I've read through some of the "for the newcomer" materials. In order to get my schedule right, I was hoping to get a little help with a couple of questions:
1) What class am I in? I know "novice", but what class will my car be in? It's a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, which puts it in DS, I believe. However, I have lots of "daily driver" mods, including a non-OEM turbo, fuel upgrades, injectors, TMIC, downpipe, uppipe, oil pan and oil line upgrades, coilovers, 8.5" wheels, non-OEM sways, etc. Does that put me in SP-, or SM-? I know I won't be competitive at all, just interested in some fun. Would putting my OEM wheels back on make any difference? It wasn't totally clear which classes were limited to 7, 7.5 or 8 with AWD.

2) If I'm in SM-, as a novice, will I be a pain for others, who are presumably WAY more experienced? Since SM- is in the afternoon, do I just need to show up for around 11:30? (i.e. no hotel, etc - coming from Bay Area)

3) How long is one lap, roughly, in minutes? How many laps are in one run? So how long is one run, roughly, in minutes, assuming I'm going reasonably slow?

4) Is it 2 runs per heat? Can I pay an extra $25 for an extra heat (read that somewhere)?

5) I have a helmet, SNELL2015 (hoping to do HDPE eventually as well), I've read the list of what to bring. Anything else to know? Any way to know ahead of time if I'll fail the tech due to, say, battery not secure enough? I have an OEM bar that screws in to hold the battery - is that enough? Or do I need an aftermarket tie-down? The car is generally in good running order, although burns a little oil and coolant (no drips). Anything to worry about with the SM- rules, like having a 1L overflow for fluids? Are OEM cooling/oiling systems acceptable for that?

6) Are classes/instruction/mentoring available? Always looking to learn..

Thanks for any help.

Mattias
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121833 is a reply to message #121832] Fri, 04 May 2018 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

funCarStuff wrote on Fri, 04 May 2018 02:25
Hi everyone. New member here, hoping to make it out the Marina event on the 12th. I've read through some of the "for the newcomer" materials. In order to get my schedule right, I was hoping to get a little help with a couple of questions:
1) What class am I in? I know "novice", but what class will my car be in? It's a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, which puts it in DS, I believe. However, I have lots of "daily driver" mods, including a non-OEM turbo, fuel upgrades, injectors, TMIC, downpipe, uppipe, oil pan and oil line upgrades, coilovers, 8.5" wheels, non-OEM sways, etc. Does that put me in SP-, or SM-? I know I won't be competitive at all, just interested in some fun. Would putting my OEM wheels back on make any difference? It wasn't totally clear which classes were limited to 7, 7.5 or 8 with AWD.

2) If I'm in SM-, as a novice, will I be a pain for others, who are presumably WAY more experienced? Since SM- is in the afternoon, do I just need to show up for around 11:30? (i.e. no hotel, etc - coming from Bay Area)

3) How long is one lap, roughly, in minutes? How many laps are in one run? So how long is one run, roughly, in minutes, assuming I'm going reasonably slow?

4) Is it 2 runs per heat? Can I pay an extra $25 for an extra heat (read that somewhere)?

5) I have a helmet, SNELL2015 (hoping to do HDPE eventually as well), I've read the list of what to bring. Anything else to know? Any way to know ahead of time if I'll fail the tech due to, say, battery not secure enough? I have an OEM bar that screws in to hold the battery - is that enough? Or do I need an aftermarket tie-down? The car is generally in good running order, although burns a little oil and coolant (no drips). Anything to worry about with the SM- rules, like having a 1L overflow for fluids? Are OEM cooling/oiling systems acceptable for that?

6) Are classes/instruction/mentoring available? Always looking to learn..

Thanks for any help.

Mattias

1)Your car is SM and your wheels won't matter. The wheel width limit is for Street Touring classes.
2)Show up before noon. Don't worry about others in the class.
3)Due to the size of Marina and safety rules for course design, the courses can be 30-45 seconds per run. You'll get at least 4 runs. I can't tell you how long you'll take since the course is never the same.
4) It'll be at least 4 runs per group. You can purchase an extra set of runs, but you'll have to then show up to run in the morning. If you run in a group, you work another group. Depending on turnout, time, and the people chairing, there could be extra fun runs at the end of the day, but that's not guaranteed.
5)Bring some water and sunscreen. Your OEM battery tiedown is fine as long as the battery doesn't move. OEM fluids are fine.
6)Mentoring may be available. Ask people when you show up

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121834 is a reply to message #121833] Fri, 04 May 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funCarStuff is currently offline  funCarStuff   United States
First Gear

Thanks so much, Erik! That helps a lot. Showing up late morning makes this a much easier endeavor. My wife/kids might even come Smile

A couple more questions, if anyone has the time:
-If I understand correctly, there's a waiting line, then you get a bit of a "merge/onto course" space to accelerate, and then you cross the start line at which point the timer starts? So no reason to think about hard launches?

-Are numbers generally available to borrow? Is painter's tape on a black car visible enough? Print out some numbers on white paper, tape that to the car? Buy some magnetic numbers? Where?

Thanks,
Mattias
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121835 is a reply to message #121834] Fri, 04 May 2018 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skarillo   United States
Second Gear

You are correct. There usually is not much to be gained from hard launches as the starting timers are often after a turn. Save the abuse on that part of your clutch and drivetrain for another day.

Painters tape is acceptable as long as its not the same color as the car. Sounds like a black car will be just fine with standard blue painters tape.

Ryan - 93 Economy Street
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121836 is a reply to message #121835] Fri, 04 May 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red5racing is currently offline  red5racing   United States
Sixth Gear

Hi Mattias
There will be instructors available in every run group who will buddy-up with you and show you the ropes. There is a "novice course walk" before the morning and afternoon sessions (apprx 8:30am and 1pm depending on how things run). Make sure you join the course walk - it's not just about the course, you can ask any question about anything there. We'll try to lookout for you obviously, but also try and make yourself known to one of the instructors if you mis the coursewalk.

Feel free to email me at "Z06 at sweetroc.com" for any novice info.

Craig (novice co-ordinator chief)

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2018 10:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121837 is a reply to message #121835] Fri, 04 May 2018 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impala SS AutocroSSer   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

skarillo wrote on Fri, 04 May 2018 09:37

Painters tape is acceptable as long as its not the same color as the car. Sounds like a black car will be just fine with standard blue painters tape.

On a black car, go for the standard "yellow" painters tape. WAY more visible at speed than blue painters tape on a black car Wink

Ed Runnion

2016 Scion FR-S, SSC 116 "CU TGERS"
1996 Chevy Impala SS, CP 63 "T56 SS"

Former : HS Fiesta ST, DS/FS Genesis Coupe, STC Civic Si, STS Acura Integra, STX Subaru WRX Wagon
Re: SCCA Round Five Info and worker signup [message #121849 is a reply to message #121837] Mon, 07 May 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
carnumber6 is currently offline  carnumber6   United States
First Gear

still need tech workers......
Previous Topic: GGLC Cinco de Mayo AutoX
Next Topic: Cancelled 12 May Event
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 23 07:29:22 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01099 seconds