Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » New to Bay Area
New to Bay Area [message #120164] Sat, 04 March 2017 20:30 Go to next message
Sam F is currently offline  Sam F   United States
First Gear

Hi everyone,

My name is Sam. Just introducing myself as I will be getting involved with autocross later this year. I drive a 2001 Honda S2000, STR prepped. I just moved here from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada for work. I've been racing for about 4 years now. Back home we have a great group of people to race with and running our club. I've been excited to get into racing here though. The community and the venues look great here! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Currently in the process of registering and insuring my car. I was wondering how some of you locals deal with the exhaust laws here while still prepping your cars for your classes. Back home emission laws were much more slack.

Also what is the popular street tire for autocross here so far this year? Been planning to buy a set of re71rs but I am curious if any of you prefer otherwise. Interested to see what the new Hankook Rs4s are like.

I'll stop by some of the upcoming events to check it out!
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120165 is a reply to message #120164] Sat, 04 March 2017 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peahioi is currently offline  Peahioi   United States
Sixth Gear

Welcome Sam, FYI, there is an AAS event Sunday (9am start) at Marina.. check out the flag at the top of this page...

Dave Henry
2001 Caterham SuperLight-R/V

[Updated on: Sat, 04 March 2017 21:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to Bay Area [message #120166 is a reply to message #120165] Sat, 04 March 2017 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   United States
Top PAX

Exhaust law wise, do you mean sound or emissions? Most people drive their car as is. When it comes time for emissions testing, most will put their car back to stock/look stock enough to pass. As for sound, if your car isn't ridiculously loud, you should be fine.

A lot of people are using the RE71R. I don't know anyone trying out the RS4 yet.

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120167 is a reply to message #120166] Sat, 04 March 2017 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Welcome Sam,

As well as the AAS event tomorrow, there is a SCCA event next Sunday at Marina. SCCA sound limit is 95 dba at 100 feet officially, but we rarely use the sound meter. Like Erik said, as long as your car has some sort of a muffler and isn't ridiculously loud, you should be ok.

Hope you see you out there.

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120169 is a reply to message #120167] Sun, 05 March 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam F is currently offline  Sam F   United States
First Gear

Thanks for the advice guys,

Yeah I've been following the schedule a bit. Ill try and make it out to next weekends event to come watch. I am planning to have my car ready by end of April or early May. From my understanding there are 2 different groups in the area right? AAS and then the SCCA? Are there any rules that differ between the two that I should know about? Once I get more settled in here I plan on getting back into autocross as much as I can.

Looking forward to meeting you guys sometime soon.
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120170 is a reply to message #120169] Sun, 05 March 2017 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   United States
Top PAX

There's also Golden Gate Lotus Club, Santa Clara Corvettes, BMWCC Golden Gate Chapter, and PCA Golden Gate Region. BMWCCA and PCA do require you to be members. BMWCCA is just paying for a membership. PCA requires you to have a Porsche to be a member.

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120171 is a reply to message #120170] Mon, 06 March 2017 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Here a calendar with a lot of the bay area auto cross clubs.

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12635&am p;am p;start=0&rid=258

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Mon, 06 March 2017 07:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to Bay Area [message #120173 is a reply to message #120171] Mon, 06 March 2017 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSP_Buckle is currently offline  DSP_Buckle   United States
Sixth Gear

welcome friend!

Hugo Diaz
/\ Delta Sigma Phi:Zeta Omicron Chapter /\
:BS #906- '17 Impreza WRX STi
:BS #906 - '08 Impreza WRX STi Wagon (retired)
:STX #906 - '04 Impreza WRX Wagon (retired)
:SM #510 - '00 Impreza RS turbocharged (retired) "SR 25 RS"
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120552 is a reply to message #120173] Sun, 09 April 2017 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everbruin is currently offline  everbruin   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Hi sam have you seen beluga whales in Manitoba ? I hope to some day but the place seems so far from anything

-An; str 95 m3
http://lh4.ggpht.com/everbruin/SJk0MZaxxMI/AAAAAAAABDY/y3789jgyezY/s144/avat160.jpg
Re: New to Bay Area [message #120887 is a reply to message #120169] Fri, 14 July 2017 19:01 Go to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Looks like you were at the round 10 AAS event, great!
You asked about differences between the groups. I haven't run Lotus or BMW or Corvette, so this will address the bigger groups:
As far as rules differences, not many. AAS classes the cars into broader groups for the most part, containing one to several SCCA classes. SCCA follows their own classing rules.

SCCA guarantees at least 3 runs (which is the same number that Tours and the Finals use). They will often do four and rarely five, or sometimes have fun runs at the end of the day. AAS generally does four and often five. Seat time = good, while it's also good to know how you'll do in just three if you are ever going to do National events.

AAS does not enforce needing to have the car class on the side(s) of the car very closely, and assumes that once you pass their tech that you will keep it up yourself for the rest of the year. SCCA has an annual tech where you specifically sign an agreement that you'll maintain your tech condition for the year, otherwise you are subject to tech at each event.

I'm not sure if AAS has a sound level requirement. There are a couple of cars at their events that are bleeping loud! SCCA usually only enforces theirs for their National Tour events, and sometimes events preceding the Tours, so that you will know if you are going to pass at the Tour. When SCCA's events were inside cities, though, they tended to enforce all of the time because of neighbor complaints.

For AAS you register on site, so far. SCCA uses Motorsports Reg, and you will generally want to use that rather than pay extra at the event. Signups online have to be done by the Thursday evening preceding. AAS usually does two events/weekend, Saturday + Sunday at whichever site they are using, while SCCA usually does only one day, though they have a couple per year that are both days. Check the schedules!

BTW, you can also go to http://www.sfrscca-sacramento.org/ for other events, Sacramento Chapter. Their next ones are up at the Thunderhill facility, but they also have events at Mather Field in the eastern Sacramento area, as well as events at Stockton. The latter site is about the same time from the Bay Area as Crows Landing is.
Say hi at your next event! Paul, #35, white STI.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Previous Topic: Another one gets the Autox bug
Next Topic: New to the Bay Area, new-ish to autox
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 18 07:25:35 PST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01083 seconds