Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Rallycross » Dec 10/11 PC RX
Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119215] Tue, 11 October 2016 13:02 Go to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

So uh, I have a GF wagon now (Outback Sport, EJ22, Manual) and want to try this rallycross thing. Likely the upcoming event in December. I'm not looking to hit RX as hard as I do Autocross, probably once or twice a year, but are there some tips/tricks that anyone has to start out with it?

So far I've got a second set of wheels I'm okay with thrashing, and will likely put some Blizzaks on. Should I get some tubes?

Also looking at some skid plates for the front & diff. Outside of regular mechanical is there anything else the car would benefit from? It's going to be SA class so only basic street class stuff allowed (aside from adding for durability).

Thanks!

'15 Snowflake #1/87
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119219 is a reply to message #119215] Wed, 12 October 2016 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

We ran a car bone stock FWD on some summer tires. I removed the front bar and we were straight timing semi-prepared AWD cars.

Honestly, you can skip the tires for now. Though if you are getting some, I would look at the http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&a mp;tireModel=Winterforce

Depending on where you plan on doing, these could get chewed up. With my VERY LIMITED experience, these look to be ok at PC. But in other places where the surface is harder, you would chew threw these pretty fast.

Air up your tires all around. And you'll be good to go.

Our next step is a skid plate, but it wasn't necessary the times that we went out. We were thinking about tubes, but we didn't have any issues. With a snowish tire a summer tire, tubes might be a good idea.

If you don't know how to LFB, learn, other than that, just have fun!

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119220 is a reply to message #119215] Wed, 12 October 2016 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Davey is currently offline  Davey   
Third Gear

Yah what he said air tires up so they won't come off the rims. Bring warm clothes because standing in the field at night working the course is cold.(think safety orange or bright colors) Bring a bright flash light too. O and you can never have too many lights mounted on the front of the car. A lot of people ran with just stock head lights, but you do have plenty of time to get some cheap rally lights. I don't know how but the last time I ran this event one of my front lights got broke and I had to tape the remaining glass in place.

I had terrible lap times because I had an old RWD RX7 and just couldn't help myself from drifting every corner which is not the fast line to take in rallycrossing. It was the funnest line though. hahahaha

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen)
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119221 is a reply to message #119220] Thu, 13 October 2016 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

This kind of stuff definitely comes down to driver over everything else. Just like rain, dirt is an equalizer.

The Winterforces came up on some searches, it seems the Blizzaks aren't all that great unless there is ice/snow for real. Does NorCal RX have any special rules for tires? It seems some other regions make winter tires restricted for prep/mod. Not really concerned about them getting ripped up since they'll just be a second set and never see any other use (maybe Tahoe trips).

No issues with LFB even though I usually forgo it in AX. Definitely need it for this kind of driving

Looks like skid plate and a light bar is my next things to do. I've got the light bar already now just to get a roof basket and mount it. Nice that everything is super cheap.

Thanks for the replies.

'15 Snowflake #1/87
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119226 is a reply to message #119221] Thu, 13 October 2016 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSP_Buckle is currently offline  DSP_Buckle   United States
Sixth Gear

I enjoy reading these threads. Sounds like a blast. Can't wait to join you guys in the future.

Hugo Diaz
/\ Delta Sigma Phi:Zeta Omicron Chapter /\
:BS #906- '17 Impreza WRX STi
:BS #906 - '08 Impreza WRX STi Wagon (retired)
:STX #906 - '04 Impreza WRX Wagon (retired)
:SM #510 - '00 Impreza RS turbocharged (retired) "SR 25 RS"
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119230 is a reply to message #119226] Thu, 13 October 2016 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Tony,

Before mounting the light bar on top, you might want to try just setting it up there and lighting it up at night. I had one on the top of an off road vehicle and it wasn't the right type of light beam. I guess it spread out too quickly and blinded me. I mounted it on the front and the problems went away.

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety
SFR Solo Chief of Trailer

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2016 13:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119231 is a reply to message #119230] Fri, 14 October 2016 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fourth Gear

Good point, Dan, I didn't think about that. There aren't many places to mount the thing without making holes in bodywork so hopefully it works up top.

'15 Snowflake #1/87
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119234 is a reply to message #119215] Sun, 16 October 2016 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rallyxcrx is currently offline  rallyxcrx   United States
Second Gear

roof mounted lights light up the dust that gets on the windshield, impairing visibility, Dave
Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119235 is a reply to message #119234] Sun, 16 October 2016 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

I doubt I'm making it to this event... BUT...

We took the chinese coil overs on our lemons CRX today and went from 23" fender to ground in the front, to almost 26". We took the rear and almost got 1.5" from there. I think the rear springs we'll leave alone, but the fronts we will take them down from ~900 to 350lbs. Removed the front bar : )

I got a free STI rear wing and we bolt that to the back of our hatch.

Next will be more front aero and ebay/amazon LED lights.

We're going for a ridiculous looking car. : )

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports

[Updated on: Sun, 16 October 2016 19:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dec 10/11 PC RX [message #119236 is a reply to message #119234] Mon, 17 October 2016 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Fourth Gear

rallyxcrx wrote on Sun, 16 October 2016 14:50
roof mounted lights light up the dust that gets on the windshield, impairing visibility, Dave

Do you mean to say that it illuminates the dust that gets kicked around? That makes a bit more sense.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll find a place in the bumper now.

'15 Snowflake #1/87
Previous Topic: POS that won't smog?
Next Topic: Dirt Rally League
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 27 08:39:47 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01004 seconds