Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » New to AutoX, mostly new to the area (Just saying my hellos, looking for advice on what to check out)
New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117816] Thu, 25 February 2016 10:10 Go to next message
pianojosh is currently offline  pianojosh   United States
First Gear

Hello,

I'm Josh. Moved to the East Bay area (Livermore, to be exact) a little over a year ago, and am pretty new to Autocross. I went to two SAC AutoX events last year, and did the practice autocross with Trackmasters at Sonoma late last year and did alright. Hoping to get more experience and see if I'll really be able to compete, but I'm mostly interested in seeing my own times get better and more consistent than I am about actually competing with others. I drive a bone-stock 2006 (NC) Miata on horrible all-season tires right now, so I'm in CS. I'm considering doing the suspension and moving into STR, maybe next year.

I'm also interested in going to some track days, which I've never done before.

I'll be at the SFR Marina event this weekend, hoping to get as involved as I can be.

So, Hello! Looking forward to some fun driving.
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117819 is a reply to message #117816] Thu, 25 February 2016 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Welcome,

See you Sunday!

Dan

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117903 is a reply to message #117819] Mon, 29 February 2016 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkonion is currently offline  darkonion   United States
Sixth Gear

Hi Josh,

Hope your experience was wonderful at this weekend's event.

You should look into the SCCA Starting Line. It's a great package deal that will get you an annual SCCA membership, an autocross school, an entry into a local auto-x event, an entry into a national event, and for a limited time, an SCCA Track Night in America.

https://www.scca.com/pages/starting-line

37 whp and 124 ft-lbs of fury!!
www.darkonion.com
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117924 is a reply to message #117903] Tue, 01 March 2016 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

Thanks, I had a great time. Got a lot to learn, I'm 4-5 seconds down from competent times in CS, but I wasn't dead last, so I'll take it as a relative newbie.

Some of the Starting Line value would be lost on me, since I already have an SCCA membership, and my car (NC Miata) is likely not eligible for a track night without an aftermarket roll bar. Do you think even without that it would still be worth the money?
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117929 is a reply to message #117924] Tue, 01 March 2016 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

You can sign up for test and tune instead and practice. Ask an experience guy there, maybe he can help you out with improving

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 370Z

Sandbagger #2
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117930 is a reply to message #117924] Tue, 01 March 2016 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkonion is currently offline  darkonion   United States
Sixth Gear

pianojosh wrote on Tue, 01 March 2016 11:48
Thanks, I had a great time. Got a lot to learn, I'm 4-5 seconds down from competent times in CS, but I wasn't dead last, so I'll take it as a relative newbie.

Some of the Starting Line value would be lost on me, since I already have an SCCA membership, and my car (NC Miata) is likely not eligible for a track night without an aftermarket roll bar. Do you think even without that it would still be worth the money?

C-Street is fierce, so please don't let that deter you. Let me give you an idea how fierce it is... I PAXed top 25 in an event last year with an attendance of about 150 people. Pretty good. I was 4th in class in CS that day. In Sunday's event you were in the company of a lot of experienced people. Several national level competitors and at least one national champion.

You should ask, but I am almost certain that getting this package will extend your membership 1 year.

If you subtract the SCCA Track Night in America ($150),

SCCA membership - $90
National Tour event - $100
Local event - $40-50
Starting Line School - ($75-$100 estimated, but easily could be more)

That's easily the price of admission, and you still have the option to add a Garmin VIRB and/or helmet into the package also.

I am not sure what the rules are for roll bars, but I think this link will answer your question. See Vehicle Requirement (Convertible)

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/pages/rules-and-regulatio ns

37 whp and 124 ft-lbs of fury!!
www.darkonion.com

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2016 14:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117931 is a reply to message #117930] Tue, 01 March 2016 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSP_Buckle is currently offline  DSP_Buckle   United States
Sixth Gear

I can confirm that they will extend the 1 year to the end of your membership. I inquired a while back about that.

If you get the Tracknight, you win the in the overall cost department.

From the above link for Track Night, under convertible section. I don't know what you have on yours, but perhaps you meet one of those criteria or can email them.
Quote:
All vehicles must provide factory original (or better) seats that are securely mounted, factory seat belts are acceptable. SFI or FIA rated belts are recommended. Vehicles must provide protection for driver and passenger in the event of a rollover within the following guidelines:

1. Hard top and targa-top vehicles are allowed.

2. Convertible vehicles operating with the factory rollover protection system are allowed. Factory rollover protection includes factory roll bars, pop up rollover protection, and reinforced a-pillars designed to provide rollover protection. Contact eligibility@tracknightinamerica.com with questions.

3. Other convertibles require either a factory hard top or a four-point roll bar. If a roll bar is used, it must meet the roll bar requirements found in the SCCA Time Trial Rules.

4. These are the standard Track Night in America guidelines but some tracks have different regulations. Be sure to also double check for any track specific requirements on the venue page for the facility at which you plan to participate: http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/tracks.

Hugo Diaz
/\ Delta Sigma Phi:Zeta Omicron Chapter /\
:BS #906- '17 Impreza WRX STi
:BS #906 - '08 Impreza WRX STi Wagon (retired)
:STX #906 - '04 Impreza WRX Wagon (retired)
:SM #510 - '00 Impreza RS turbocharged (retired) "SR 25 RS"
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117932 is a reply to message #117931] Tue, 01 March 2016 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

Interesting, thanks for the tip. If they really will extend membership a year I'll almost definitely in, as long as I can make it that weekend.

I'll email them about the roll bar. I know NASA will not let me run in any track events with it, full stop. Hooked On Driving and Trackmasters both said they'd allow it in the lower run groups but not the higher ones. Couldn't hurt to ask. Maybe that'll give me the push I need to actually get that roll bar anyhow.
Re: New to AutoX, mostly new to the area [message #117948 is a reply to message #117932] Wed, 02 March 2016 15:33 Go to previous message
First Gear

No go on the Miata for track night without aftermarket roll protection, it seems.
Previous Topic: Hello new to autocross
Next Topic: New from Turlock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 18 07:23:26 PST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01331 seconds