Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale
New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117622] Mon, 25 January 2016 10:27 Go to next message
Low_na6 is currently offline  Low_na6   United States
First Gear

Pretty new to autocross. Trying to go start in the SFR region since it is the closest. Just need some clarificarion. I have a 1990 Miata it is pretty stock has 1994 Miata wheels, coilovers, exhaust and no catalyc converter. From what I have been reading you need the cat in order to be in street touring? And if I put it back on I end up in STS. Since I'm just starting I'm interested in the novice street. Also if I am not a member I can buy a weekend membership for $15? As I'm understanding you can also pay online for the event and it will be a little cheaper? I have also checked the numbers that are available do I pick the class and number when I register for the event? If I dont have the helmet I can just ask for a loaner? Looking to attend the first event in Marina on the 28th of February. Sorry for all the questions I researched most of it just need to make sure I'm correct on most things.

Headlights go up headlights go dowm
Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117624 is a reply to message #117622] Mon, 25 January 2016 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Hi Aleksey,

Welcome.

I can't answer the questions about your car and its classification without digging into the rules but someone here that knows a lot more about Miatas can. To run in Novice classes, you must be on 200 or higher tread wear street tires and it sounds like you are eligible for Novice class. If no one responds, I'll check it out once I get home.

You can buy a weekend membership for each event for $15.

If you register online it will be generally $10 cheaper than registering at the autocross site. You still have to check in at registration and sign up for worker assignments.

We have loaner helmets in the trailer.

Send Isaac (segfault) a pm and ask him about a number availability once you figure out which class your car is eligible for.

Tech is on grid.

Just let someone at the trailer or registration table know that it is your first time and one of us will be glad to show you around.

See you in Feb!

Dan

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Mon, 25 January 2016 15:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117627 is a reply to message #117624] Mon, 25 January 2016 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peahioi is currently offline  Peahioi   United States
Sixth Gear

Note that you may buy a "Temp" membership two times Only but that $30 is applicable to your dues.
Not sure what you mean by "closest"... If you are referring to Marina, that and Crows Landing, are the only sites currently used by SFR, AAS, GGLC and most other clubs. Depending where you are in the "South Bay" (I'm in South San Jose' and tow to Marina in ~ 1:20-1:30 or to Crows Landing in 1:40-1:50), there is not too much difference in distance / time. I just realized that you are from Sunnyvale so, You are reasonably equidistant from both.
Asking is the Only way to learn... Nearly all folks are most willing to answer any inquiries.
AAS has just had an outstanding event, this past weekend with many more to come... SFR is starting up shortly (including some SCCA National events) as are other clubs (most of whom welcome all comers). There is No substitute for seat time!!!

We look forward to meeting you!!!

Dave

Dave Henry
2001 Caterham SuperLight-R/V

[Updated on: Mon, 25 January 2016 16:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117628 is a reply to message #117627] Mon, 25 January 2016 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Low_na6 is currently offline  Low_na6   
First Gear

By closest I just meant the regions but yes most of the events are roughly about the same

Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117631 is a reply to message #117628] Mon, 25 January 2016 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peahioi is currently offline  Peahioi   United States
Sixth Gear

Let me clarify... Only 2 temps count towards your dues but, if you wish, you can buy temps as long as you wish (Not the most economical way to go, however...)

Dave

Dave Henry
2001 Caterham SuperLight-R/V

Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117638 is a reply to message #117631] Tue, 26 January 2016 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

If you put a cat back in it and don't have a torsen rear diff, you would be STS.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117639 is a reply to message #117638] Tue, 26 January 2016 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Low_na6 is currently offline  Low_na6   
First Gear

Yea doesn't a torsen thanks.

Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117640 is a reply to message #117639] Tue, 26 January 2016 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red5racing is currently offline  red5racing   United States
Sixth Gear

If I was new, I'd focus on events like GGLC that have lots of seat time and fewer rules.
Re: New to autox and forum from Sunnyvale [message #117641 is a reply to message #117640] Tue, 26 January 2016 14:03 Go to previous message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

SCCA has just as few (or maybe fewer) rules as GGLC if you don't care about
series points. And if you do care, GGLC is dead to all but lotuses.
Previous Topic: New from Mill Valley, roll cages?
Next Topic: From SoCal, now in San Jose. Used to AutoX and looking to start again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 18 07:22:44 PST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01177 seconds