Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » www.baautox.com » Suggestions » NEW post button
NEW post button [message #9249] Mon, 04 December 2006 21:07 Go to next message
NotalesS is currently offline  NotalesS   United States
Third Gear

I'm almost sure there isn't one. I mostly use PHPBB fourms or vbullitin. It would be lots easier to catch up with everyone on the active post.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Arnaldo
1990 Honda Civic DX 1.5L
#33 1991 Mazda RX-7 FC3S 1.3L <-- The Undead Track Star
Menlo Mazda CA USA
Need Mazda Parts? Send a PM
THE SECOND LARGEST PARTS DEPT IN NORTHERN CA
Re: NEW post button [message #9253 is a reply to message #9249] Mon, 04 December 2006 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Stimson is currently offline  John Stimson   United States
Top Time of Day

[Updated on: Mon, 04 December 2006 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NEW post button [message #9254 is a reply to message #9249] Mon, 04 December 2006 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Becca is currently offline  Becca   United States
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

Are you referring to something like the unread messages button at the top?

Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner!

'00 Silverado 1500 LT
'91 Mustang GT

American Autocross

Newtech Performance
Re: NEW post button [message #9267 is a reply to message #9249] Tue, 05 December 2006 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

I know what you mean. I moderate a couple phpBB forums and I do like that "latest unread posts" feature. This particular board software doesn't have that feature. I'm trying not to to stray too far off of their normal code path because it makes upgrading a real hassle. I'll post a feature request and see what they say. They have had nothing but smart-ass comments for me in the past, but here's hoping! I'll post their reply on this thread.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: NEW post button [message #9375 is a reply to message #9249] Thu, 07 December 2006 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NotalesS is currently offline  NotalesS   United States
Third Gear

All right, thanks reply

Mike Arnaldo
1990 Honda Civic DX 1.5L
#33 1991 Mazda RX-7 FC3S 1.3L <-- The Undead Track Star
Menlo Mazda CA USA
Need Mazda Parts? Send a PM
THE SECOND LARGEST PARTS DEPT IN NORTHERN CA
Re: NEW post button [message #9404 is a reply to message #9249] Thu, 07 December 2006 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

Their reply was essentially to use the "Unread messages" link toward the top of the page. It's not as nice as the "Latest posts" feature in phpBB, but I guess it's usable. Seems like we won't see a feature exactly like phpBB's "Latest posts" though.

Here's the link so you can see how it works:
http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=selmsg&unread=1 &rid=3&frm_id=6

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Re: NEW post button [message #9952 is a reply to message #9404] Wed, 13 December 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kplaird   United States
Fourth Gear

how about on the Home page in the Last Message column have the time appear for the last posts, instead of just the date. Is that possible?

Re: NEW post button [message #9963 is a reply to message #9249] Wed, 13 December 2006 21:32 Go to previous message
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

Anything is "possible," but I'm trying to keep the modifications to an absolute minimum. Basically, the way these message board softwares work, is that there are a bunch of small programs that generate the webpage that you see. The language is PHP and whenever you click something, what you see is generated by that particular program. I'm over-simplifying a bit, but hopefully that makes sense.

When they release a new version, all those files get overwritten, so any mods that I do, I'll need to go back and add them again. Plus, if they make some fundamental change in the way things work, it becomes a pain for me to have to figure out how to hook into the existing framework to get that functionality back. So, basically, I'm trying not to stray very far from their basic framework. I think most people are familiar with phpBB and in some ways, the people that write this package want to differentiate themselves from phpBB, so they give a lot of the same functionality, but make it work differently enough to annoy those of us that know how a phpBB message board works. I personally think the way they display unread posts sucks. I like the way everything else works, but that part really is poor, imo. They seem unwilling to change the way that those features work, so I may look under the hood this weekend and see how everything is structured. I do plan to try to figure out why the emails don't work any more as well. If it looks like I can easily modify things to improve that aspect of the board, I will do so. I can't promise anything, though, until I see what the code looks like. I'll reply back with a status update once I have a look at it. BTW, this is a pet peave of mine, so I am motivated to find a better way of displaying new posts. I may also mess around with the RSS feed functionality as well. If that looks good, I'll write up a how-to and people can give that a shot and see how they like it.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
Previous Topic: Option: no pics in signatures
Next Topic: Post Deletion of Personal Posts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 13:07:21 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01053 seconds