Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » Oil Cooler Position in Relation to Filter Debate
Oil Cooler Position in Relation to Filter Debate [message #99967] Mon, 22 April 2013 23:20 Go to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

OK, another lunch on the line. I say the preferred location of an engine oil cooler in down-stream of the remote filter, as I believe hotter oil flows through the filter better, or with less pressure-drop than cooled oil. Realistically, the difference may only be 20 to 40 degrees, but I think it's best. My buddy begs to differ, as he's a contrary cuss. The only thing we can agree upon is paper-ended media (fram) is junk at any temp or pressure. Any thoughts?

Jim
Re: Oil Cooler Position in Relation to Filter Debate [message #99992 is a reply to message #99967] Tue, 23 April 2013 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
badco is currently offline  badco   
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

I think you are right, but there is another reason, IMHO.
If you have an engine problem, with bits of metal circulating, the oil filter (full flow, no bypass)can save you from buying a new oil cooler. The bits can never be completely cleaned out of the cooler, once they are lodged in there.
cheers,
mike
Re: Oil Cooler Position in Relation to Filter Debate [message #99993 is a reply to message #99992] Tue, 23 April 2013 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Hi Mike, You make a great point, especially with the plate style coolers.

Jim
Re: Oil Cooler Position in Relation to Filter Debate [message #99995 is a reply to message #99993] Tue, 23 April 2013 17:21 Go to previous message
1paxed_up_TT is currently offline  1paxed_up_TT   United States
Top PAX

keep in mind oil filter orientation (if moving from stock location) and it's anti drain back capabilities if the oil filter has one, if the manufacturer requires one. Depending on your oil cooler placement, you could have an empty oil cooler volume to fill at each start up if it's before the filter. Whereas having it after means that there is more oil already in the system to start circulating on initial start up.

Eugene

#10 T2 FSP Silver '87 Mazda 323 - 2200lb/85hp
#10 BSP Gray '01 Audi TTR - 3300lb/270hp
#510 T2 DSP Silver '96 Audi A4Q - 3200lb/180hp
Previous Topic: STF Build, 2008 Honda Fit
Next Topic: Help me Choose!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 07:10:07 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01954 seconds