Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob.
Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98000] Tue, 19 February 2013 19:52 Go to next message
racer X   United States
Top Time of Day

Just wondering how others do this:

How do you explain to a Noob, that with all the "Bolt-On's,Cam changes,added turbo/suprcharger,etc" You've worked your way to a mod or prepared class and although your car is really cool your about to get your "proverbial ass kicked", but stick with it this will only make you better....

I don't "suger coat it", I tell them the truth knowing it's gonna hurt and that hopefully they stick with it and come back, I also tell them "Locally" nobody probably cares, but let's work on making the car right for a class, so down the road - your not spending money you don't have too...

Anybody have a different way of breaking the news?????

Doug Hubbard
Chapter Executive
Sacramento Chapter
# 195 BS '89 Corvette
Shriner's Children's Hospital of Sacramento
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98001 is a reply to message #98000] Tue, 19 February 2013 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brmxr4ti is currently offline  brmxr4ti   United States
Top Time of Day

I try and give them a thumbs up and a smile and tell them "You've worked your way to a mod or prepared class" but say that your going to have to work on your car to get it in a class that you can actually win in, then I tell them I've been doing this for 25 years and would be glad to give them pointers.

I don't blow them out of the water, and saying "your going to get proverbial ass kicked", may not have them come back and thats not going to help them or the club. I try and point them in the right way to fix their cars to the class rules they want, don't forget that SM "National class" and OSP "Regional Class" are pretty open engine wise, suspenion is a whole other ball game.

Were saying the same thing.

Ben

DSPXR4ti 2009 DSP National Champion

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2013 21:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98002 is a reply to message #98001] Tue, 19 February 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mwood   United States
Top Time of Day

Its a tough deal. Solo rules are both complicated and, at times, kind of arbitrary...sub frame connectors immediately come to mind. Add in very large number of classes, even more so at regional level, and it is hard for a newb not to walk away completely confused.

I think you guys hit it right on the head: what is needed is someone with experience and compassion to "bridge the gap", giving both a little perspective on how and why the rules work and supporting the newb sticking with it...even if they suffer the "proverbial ass kicking" at first.

Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98006 is a reply to message #98002] Tue, 19 February 2013 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

Tell them to get a bigger turbo

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 v1 370Z, v2 M3
AS #88 981S

Sandbagger #2
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98007 is a reply to message #98006] Wed, 20 February 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everbruin is currently offline  everbruin   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

i'd say for novices it's much more important to better their own times and improve technique [can be validated by veterans] than to win or trophy; skills go w/ the driver and apply to any car. Tell them codriving can be an option to run a competitive car w/o changing their own.

-An; str 95 m3
http://lh4.ggpht.com/everbruin/SJk0MZaxxMI/AAAAAAAABDY/y3789jgyezY/s144/avat160.jpg
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98008 is a reply to message #98006] Wed, 20 February 2013 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

justint5387 wrote on Tue, 19 February 2013 22:21
Tell them to get a bigger turbo

And decals... lots of decals, especially their stereo gear and of course, anything with JDM appeal Smile

Jim
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98010 is a reply to message #98000] Wed, 20 February 2013 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conedog   United States
Third Gear

I am an officer in a local Miata club and Doug you know me...every year we sponsor a day at the autocross at Mather and this year it is June 2...we get anywhere from 10 one year to 25 at our peak...every year we get a few newbs who are interested in continuing to a certain degree of participation, usually pretty low...they always ask about the classing rules and as many of you know the Miata crowd tends to throw random objects of performance mods at their cars...shock tower braces and intakes are popular first mods...well these will put them in a class where they will get annihilated...thereby discouraging their further participation...to encourage them to come out and improve their driving skills and not worry about placing I tell them to register as a street tire class (and whatever class their car ends up...ie csp/st) and on their first day find someone who is somewhat established and each time you come out compare your times against that car and driver regardless of class...this satisfies their desire to compete and relieve the pressure on them to measure against established csp cars...thanks Scott...Last year I had a bunch of them coming up to me after fun runs asking questions and getting excited about beating a bench mark car they had picked at a previous race...this seems to work fairly well...

One more item...Competition Sports Car Club, based here in Sac, has a class just for our club whenever they sporadically do an event...Its the name of our club and is in a run group with other classes so our club competes against itself which fosters a little competition amongst them...

Just my two cents...never mention ass kicking or any negative stuff about losing and they are pretty happy...
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98012 is a reply to message #98010] Wed, 20 February 2013 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
walk   United States
Top Time of Day

I tell them not to worry about classing their first time out... or their first couple of seasons. Unless they are an alien they will get destroyed no matter what class they pick. Too many newbies focus on the car when they should be worried about just getting around the course without DNFs (or running over course workers..). Tell them to focus on that first, then on their driving, then more driving.. and more.. and more... THEN worry about what's on the car.

Jeff W.
1994 Miata #94 E/Street

[Updated on: Wed, 20 February 2013 09:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98014 is a reply to message #98012] Wed, 20 February 2013 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisw is currently offline  chrisw   United States
Fourth Gear

I usually tell them what's wrong with the car for the class they want to run in. I will suggest that they think about running the correct class so they can get an accurate idea of their competition. At that point they are either there with friends running in the same class or group, or, they don't care because they know that they suck at autocross. Once I get to this point I will let them run, but warn them that if they start getting competitive, then they should run the proper class because some people put a lot of effort to run best they can given the group they choose to run in. Once the new driver realizes this, they tend to agree with that point and usually promise to do the right thing if they decide to stick with it.
Re: Explaining why you can't run this class to a noob. [message #98018 is a reply to message #98014] Wed, 20 February 2013 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Positive reinforcement is always best. The popular mods today sometimes slam a car straight to SSM! In the dark ages, we'd have a questionnaire which scored the mods, say if you had bigger bars, or poly bushings, you put down a number, then if there were springs, another number. At the end, you had a score and fairly well positioned car classing. Just thinking out loud, but maybe there could be a system? Oh, yes... RTP and Street Touring solved all that Smile

Jim
Previous Topic: Local Machine Shop
Next Topic: Off season projects?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 09:33:50 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01054 seconds