Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » Round 7 results are posted
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80047 is a reply to message #80046] Thu, 09 June 2011 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neimad is currently offline  Neimad   
Second Gear

To those that don't need the 4th run, would you be willing to go for ride alongs with those who need instruction?
It would be like a mini Evo school. Perhaps there could be a slightly higher entry fee charged where you get an instructor
and an emphasis on more runs.
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80049 is a reply to message #80032] Thu, 09 June 2011 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GlenAnderson is currently offline  GlenAnderson   United States
Top Time of Day

race2win wrote on Wed, 08 June 2011 19:58
I think we need to be careful with the message we are sending...I would like to think that since we are club members, attending & voting at SC meetings is NOT required for our voice to be heard. There are some who simply cannot make those meetings for whatever reason, so should their opinion be automatically discarded because it was read on an internet forum or heard at an event?

Mark, I totally get where you're coming from and understand. For me personally, things said on an internet forum carry very little weight.

If people were at events saying, here's what we want, and there was a good deal of support, the SC would be foolish not to do as the club wanted. For many people (and I am in no way including you in this), it's too easy to sit at a computer and say "here's how it should be done." But, like you said...back to the actual subject...results!

Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80055 is a reply to message #80046] Thu, 09 June 2011 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hobie is currently offline  Hobie   United States
Third Gear

I'm always trying to recruit people into competing in SFR events and some of those people have competed in other regions are use to 6 to 10 runs. Even people that have never competed ask how many runs they would get. Competitors that I've talked with that use to run SFR, site the number of runs and "Please hold start" as reasons for no longer running. Without Nats type courses and 5 min rule in place, weather you run 3 or 4 runs doesn't seem that big of a deal. Most of the people that go to the Nats do well because of skill and good set-up, not because they run 3 or 4 runs at home.

We run with volunteers and do not need to put any more burden on them with special scoring, grid lanes, or how many runs someone has run. Let the Chair people decide 3 runs+fun runs, 4 runs, or 5 runs. We seem to have problem with people volunteering to Chair a event or do course design, lets not make it any harder of a job. Steve

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2011 19:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80057 is a reply to message #80047] Thu, 09 June 2011 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everbruin is currently offline  everbruin   Finland
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

a lot of mentors are listed in http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=982& start=0&rid=199
also you can ask the chairs on site if you're looking for mentors

Neimad wrote on Thu, 09 June 2011 09:23
To those that don't need the 4th run, would you be willing to go for ride alongs with those who need instruction?

-An; str 95 m3
http://lh4.ggpht.com/everbruin/SJk0MZaxxMI/AAAAAAAABDY/y3789jgyezY/s144/avat160.jpg
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80062 is a reply to message #80049] Thu, 09 June 2011 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r4gwoods is currently offline  r4gwoods   United States
Top PAX

I really like four runs, but my brain still does sets of 3. Seems my 2nd or 3rd run is best, 4th run I usually destroy the course!

-R

#15 Robert Woods

FSP 1979 Triumph TR7 2 liter/SOHC/8 valve

Photos
http://www.wwracing.net

Pro Autobody
http://www.MakeItLikeNew.com
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80079 is a reply to message #80047] Fri, 10 June 2011 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

It would be like a mini Evo school. Perhaps there could be a slightly higher entry fee charged where you get an instructor

We sort of had it at the last event, but it didn't work out so well. We'll keep trying though... But there is a worker assignment for a mentor. This person's "work assignment" is to ride along, give tips, and just make sure newer drivers don't get lost, and to answer any questions about working course, etc.

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80082 is a reply to message #80079] Fri, 10 June 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
udontknowjack is currently offline  udontknowjack   United States
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

benny_ng wrote on Fri, 10 June 2011 00:41

We sort of had it at the last event, but it didn't work out so well. We'll keep trying though... But there is a worker assignment for a mentor. This person's "work assignment" is to ride along, give tips, and just make sure newer drivers don't get lost, and to answer any questions about working course, etc.

I think I'll sign up for that this Sunday for my work assignment.... As long as I can ride along with karlton's rocket too..! =)

75 CS 2014 ==> STR 2015 ==> (SSM? 2016) Mazda (not miata) MX5 club

Philip
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80083 is a reply to message #80055] Fri, 10 June 2011 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brmxr4ti is currently offline  brmxr4ti   United States
Top Time of Day

Hobie wrote on Thu, 09 June 2011 10:58
Without Nats type courses and 5 min rule in place, weather you run 3 or 4 runs doesn't seem that big of a deal. Most of the people that go to the Nats do well because of skill and good set-up, not because they run 3 or 4 runs at home.

I disagree, I would bet if people talked to the "National types" that they would say "I would buy extra runs to get seat time" For me I went to every event I could and I remember one year I went to 42 events, so 42x3=126 runs so lots of seat time. The good thing is you don't have to go far to find events, so based on the amount of great people putting on events in the bayarea like SCCA, AAS, UFO, Lotus club, BMW club, Sac. events, Fresno events, Redwood events and other events through out the year you can almost run every weekend. The More runs you get and ask for tips from those National Types, you will get the Faster!.

If you say "I don't want to go to that many events" then you really can't say anything about how many runs you get.

Ben

DSPXR4ti 2009 DSP National Champion

[Updated on: Fri, 10 June 2011 08:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80090 is a reply to message #80046] Fri, 10 June 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red5racing is currently offline  red5racing   United States
Sixth Gear

jamouton wrote on Thu, 09 June 2011 08:07
.. But it's not a representative democracy since nobody on the SC depends on getting voted in.

Has it always been that way (no elections)? Non-profit 501c clubs that I've been a member of had elections, board members, bylaws etc. What kind of entity is the solo 2 program?

Just curious, no agenda Laughing

Craig
Re: Round 7 results are posted [message #80092 is a reply to message #80090] Fri, 10 June 2011 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Pat Kelly is currently offline  Pat Kelly   United States
Top Time of Day

red5racing wrote on Fri, 10 June 2011 10:08
jamouton wrote on Thu, 09 June 2011 08:07
.. But it's not a representative democracy since nobody on the SC depends on getting voted in.

Has it always been that way (no elections)? Non-profit 501c clubs that I've been a member of had elections, board members, bylaws etc. What kind of entity is the solo 2 program?

Just curious, no agenda Laughing

Craig

Craig,
We have bylaws, called Supplementary Regulations. They're on the site. Board members (Steering Committee) consist of folks who are willing to spend one evening a month going to a meeting and hashing out some of the ideas and problems. The SFR solo program was started when the Region's Board appointed a willing pair to start it up (back in 1973 or so, maybe earlier). They needed help, and got it, thus creating the Steering Committee which in turn created the Supps.
The main purpose of the SC is to keep the competition fair, find event chairs, event sites and generally keep the program going.
To be on the SC, a member needs to be an active participant in SFR events. Once they have attended those three meetings, they are voted in (ah, an election!).
I'm not into statistics, but I think you'd find, for the most part, many may enter only 1-2 events and disappear. Others might enter 1-2 years, and again, disappear. There are few who really stick it out any longer than that.
So it you took a vote at an event, you'd only be polling the 130 or so folks there that day, but miss the 2000 names of those who've entered in the past year. Not exactly a fair way to take a vote.
I hope that helps.
--Pat K
Previous Topic: AAS June 4-5
Next Topic: SFR Round 8 co-drive?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 14 09:55:46 PST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02997 seconds