Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Open Track » Question about car prep and instruction
Question about car prep and instruction [message #78992] Mon, 09 May 2011 20:52 Go to next message
uncle humjaba is currently offline  uncle humjaba
Second Gear

Hey all

So this summer I'm definitely aiming to get on track at least once. In order to do so, I know I need a roll bar, and a seat that will get me under said rollbar.
Here are my questions - will a bar like the hard dog sport (1.5" x .120) work, or do they need to pass SCCA / NASA HPDE requirements (1.75" x .120), a la hard dog hard core?

Secondly, I know some events require the same safety equipment for both the passenger and driver - meaning I would have to find a second racing seat if I wanted an instructor. My question here is this - do I really need an instructor? I have a good deal of experience autocrossing, I have spent a day lapping Laguna Seca (as a passenger) in various instructor and vendor cars, and I have 3+ hours of track time driving in a 24 hours of lemons race. 80 cars on a 1 mile course in the rain and I avoided contact with everyone, and didn't go off course once. Obviously an instructor would help me shave time, but I kind of enjoy the challenge anyway.

Also, what else do I need to worry about w/ regards to car prep? I will have a fresh set of EBC yellowstuff pads, dot3 (or dot4?) fluid, falken azenis (I know how they grease, so I'll be on the lookout for that), and fresh oil... Am I missing anything?

Edit: Also, does anyone else drive their cars to the track days? I have a truck available to me but no trailer...

Thanks
-Tyler

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/humjaba/Mustang%20Pics/sig.png
96 Mustang - College car [South Carolina]
95 Miata - Summer beater [California]

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2011 21:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #78995 is a reply to message #78992] Mon, 09 May 2011 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solonut is currently offline  solonut   United States
Top Time of Day

DONT SKIMP ON SAFETY EQUIPMENT!!!
get Hard Dog Hard core....

as for the question about needing an instructor....Yes you will need one....if you think that what you posted as your experience enough as to not need one....your a major accident waiting to happen...sorry for being a little harsh....

Any bad day of racing is better than a good day @ work

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2011 21:29]

Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #78998 is a reply to message #78995] Mon, 09 May 2011 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uncle humjaba is currently offline  uncle humjaba
Second Gear

I'm not suggesting I wouldn't benefit from one, but if I can make it cleanly through a 24 Hours of LeMons event in the rain with fogged up windows, no mirrors and bad brakes, I think calling me an accident is a bit exaggerated.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/humjaba/Mustang%20Pics/sig.png
96 Mustang - College car [South Carolina]
95 Miata - Summer beater [California]

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:09]

Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #79012 is a reply to message #78998] Tue, 10 May 2011 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everbruin is currently offline  everbruin   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

an instructor could help but i'd say optional, and another body whose safety you'd need to worry about =). in my raceway exp most hpde cars were not trailered.

-An; str 95 m3
http://lh4.ggpht.com/everbruin/SJk0MZaxxMI/AAAAAAAABDY/y3789jgyezY/s144/avat160.jpg
Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #79014 is a reply to message #79012] Tue, 10 May 2011 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedZ3 is currently offline  RedZ3   
Top Time of Day

If you're talking about tracking a Miata, get the bar and contact TEAM Racing (Track Event with alotta Miatas) and sign up with an instructor. Make sure your fluids are fresh, brake pads are thick, tires and good tread and inflated and you're well rested. I'll see you out there!

17 Mustang GT
08 Z4M
04 Corvette Z06 CE Z16
03 M3 slicktop, cloth seat 6MT
95 993

http://www.edgemotorworks.com
http://www.mservicegarage.com
http://www.cocoautoservice.com
Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #79021 is a reply to message #79014] Tue, 10 May 2011 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

RedZ3 wrote on Tue, 10 May 2011 09:37
...and you're well rested.

+1 Drive to the track the night before and stay at a nearby hotel. I've left the house at 3:30am to get to Thunderhill in time for a 7:00 driver meeting and it sucks. I'll never do it again.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: Question about car prep and instruction [message #79251 is a reply to message #79021] Mon, 16 May 2011 21:24 Go to previous message
Greasyman is currently offline  Greasyman   United States
Third Gear

Bite the bullet and spend the money for a good bar. Not only might you actually need to use it sometime, but if you continue to go to track days, eventually you won't pass tech if you have a crappy bar. I just went to my first track day in a few years, after attending about 5 a while back. It was an eye opener, I'd forgotten how fast it is compared to autocross. There were no instructors, but I rode with an advanced driver after my first time out, and it was very, very helpful, as far as learning the line, etc. I've had instructors, and while I'ms sure some can be a big help, I find going by myself, at my own pace, to be less stressful, but I'm sure I'll try one again.

- Jordan Kamen
Previous Topic: Time/Club Trials & PDX May21 !!!!
Next Topic: Friday the 13th! Play Hookie with Blacktrax @ Buttonwillow Raceway 05.13.11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 14 10:12:40 PST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02820 seconds