Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Off Topic » Drifting, what do youi guys think?
Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3966] Sun, 28 May 2006 17:19 Go to next message
BRIAN is currently offline  BRIAN   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD CONTRIBUTOR

Drifting, what do you guys think?[ 34 votes ]
1. Kick them out after one warning 17 / 50%
2. Let them have their fun too. 17 / 50%

I have noticed at few auto x's lately that a lot of drifting guys are showing up. Some of these guys are very good at driving and some really suck. Should we kick these guys out or should we just put up with it.
Personally I am not to happy with it and with the drifting movie coming out soon this will only get worse. I have nothing against drifting, and I kind of like watching these guys when they do it well, but this is auto x. Shouldnt they have their own events and let auto x's race.

Brian Jacobson
98 ESP SS Camaro #3
75 CP Monza (under construction)

[Updated on: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3967 is a reply to message #3966] Sun, 28 May 2006 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Stimson is currently offline  John Stimson   United States
Top Time of Day

If they do not delay the event unnecessarily (multiple spins on each run, hitting lots of cones), if they do not drive unsafely, and if they behave maturely off the track, then I don't see it as a problem. If any of those conditions is not met, then it is a problem and they should get booted just like any other autocrosser who's behaving badly.

Yet another avatar photo by Bryan Heitkotter
icon14.gif  Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3968 is a reply to message #3966] Sun, 28 May 2006 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evo_dadi is currently offline  evo_dadi   United States
Second Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

+1 Smile as long as they dont go overboard.its also like touge drivers who autox Wink

Marcel
#22 SM/white evo8
Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3970 is a reply to message #3966] Mon, 29 May 2006 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

During this past slush season, there was one event at Oakland where several drift guys showed up. One of the guys must have been a noob because he uprooted most of the course and had multiple spins per run. He was warned on the first run that this is not a drift event. On his second run, same thing, uprooting the course and multiple spins. After that, he was ejected.

As long as they respect the fact that they are not at a drift event and don't delay the program, drive sensibly and don't require a complete rebuilt of the course after each run, I don't mind at all.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: Drifting, what do you guys think? [message #3971 is a reply to message #3970] Mon, 29 May 2006 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justgo4it_ is currently offline  justgo4it_   United States
Second Gear

I personally think it is a safety hazard for the course workers when they get out of control. Look what happened at Qualicom this year. They won't be allowed to run there next year. Is it worth us losing our sight over?

James
#96 SFR DS
Re: Drifting, what do you guys think? [message #3979 is a reply to message #3971] Mon, 29 May 2006 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Stimson is currently offline  John Stimson   United States
Top Time of Day

I don't see what the event in San Diego has to do with this discussion. It was not the style of driving that caused the incidents. The course design wasn't even close to meeting SCCA safety standards.

Autocrossers lose control sometimes, too. That's why the SCCA requires a minimum distance to solid objects or other sections of the course. That's why the drift group lost the use of Qualcomm and SCCA can still play there.

Yet another avatar photo by Bryan Heitkotter
Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3989 is a reply to message #3966] Tue, 30 May 2006 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RineRacing   United States
Third Gear

The real problem is if a driver is too out of control and wiping out lots of cones or endangering course workers. I have seen this done by both autocrossers and drifters.

I don't have a problem with drifers, I have a problem with bad drivers.

IMO what you do between the cones is up to you, but what you do outside of them is the concern.

#51 STS 91' Civic Si
#12 DSP 00' Integra GSR R.I.P.
Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3991 is a reply to message #3966] Tue, 30 May 2006 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4D-Sport is currently offline  4D-Sport   United States
Top PAX
Forum Sponsor

Some organizers have planned their events to allow both slip and grip. Dennis' UFO course designs have elements which allow a lot of room for "slip angle experimentation" with little risk to the course integrity or worker safety. With smaller turn-outs their event clock even accommodates more than one or two spins Embarassed :

http://www.4d-sport.com/images/2006_UFO_Event4_Barry_4th_Fin al_Credits.wmv (9 meg view across hood)

http://www.4d-sport.com/images/2006_UFO_Event4_Barry_4th_Fin al_Cockpit.wmv (19meg view of cockpit)

Apologies to those that have seen this before. I do have a new excuse, though it didn't have the same effect on my the other driver on the team... Shocked Very Happy

Barry

[Updated on: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:30]

Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3994 is a reply to message #3966] Tue, 30 May 2006 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tjZ06 is currently offline  tjZ06   United States
Top PAX

It all depends on how full the event is, the course layout, and the skill of the "drifter."

As has been mentioned many times already if they are in control and safe, and not taking out an unreasonable amount of cones then let them have their fun.

But let's say an event is so full the number of runs per car is going to need to be reduced. How do you all feel then? Still allow them in at the possible cost of one of your runs? Or send them home and save the AutoX event for the AutoXers? For the sake of arguement let's assume they are good drifters, in control, safe etc.

It's a tough call, but I say save the AutoX time for the AutoXers. IF there is plenty of time for them and they're "good" then let them go at it.

-TJ

[Updated on: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:53]

Re: Drifting, what do youi guys think? [message #3996 is a reply to message #3994] Tue, 30 May 2006 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
DHale_510 is currently offline  DHale_510   United States
Third Gear

You can trust the "establishment", Naderitess at.al, cannot tell "them" from "us". I invite them in and often convert them, the drifters that is. Cannot find a way to convert the others. I find drifters no more trouble than kommittee members. They actually demand much less special treatment, and they are not killing cones when they are on their game either.

Dennis Hale
Previous Topic: [vid] thunderhill raceway july 9
Next Topic: car paint...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 00:20:56 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds