Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger
A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15099] Tue, 01 May 2007 11:12 Go to next message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Hi all.
Here's a guy asking about a product he might
build and market. If you have any opinions,
please let him know, or post here and I'll
direct him here too.
thanks
Joe

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=34763 5
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15144 is a reply to message #15099] Wed, 02 May 2007 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g35lin is currently offline  g35lin   United States
First Gear

Data Logger Price Range[ 3 votes ]
1. 299-399 1 / 33%
2. 399-499 1 / 33%
3. 499-599 0 / 0%
4. 599-699 1 / 33%

thanks joe.

I think ill start up a poll here also! Smile Any questions? Any inputs??

Ed Lin

[Updated on: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15146 is a reply to message #15144] Wed, 02 May 2007 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RineRacing   United States
Third Gear

I think after you price out the hardware specs, intergrated features, software, and the cost of similar products on the market, you will have the answer you're looking for.

What am I willing to pay for a product that I have no specs on? $0.

#51 STS 91' Civic Si
#12 DSP 00' Integra GSR R.I.P.
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15180 is a reply to message #15146] Thu, 03 May 2007 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

hmm. sorry. forgot the specs:

I am in the middle of deciding the price point for the Video + Data Logger (VDL) that I am creating. Basically this unit will record telemetry such as speed, G force, RPM, and Lap Times based on GPS tracking. This unit will also simultaneously record and overlay video via a video camera that will be included with the base unit; perfect for immediate viewing in between track sessions.

Base Unit includes:
1. VDL unit
2. 1x Camera
3. SD card
4. Cigarette lighter power adapter.

This unit is universal for all types of cars. Most track guys will love this unit and I believe enthusiasts like yourself may be interested as well for other applications.

Ed Lin
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15184 is a reply to message #15180] Thu, 03 May 2007 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Third Gear

The most important spec is your sample rate. Top end systems on the market are around 10Hz and cheaper stuff is 5Hz and under. From my experience 5Hz is the minimum for autocrossing and 10Hz+ would be ideal.

#51 STS 91' Civic Si
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15186 is a reply to message #15184] Thu, 03 May 2007 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Third Gear

<a href=" http://www.pbase.com/gpspassionbis/image/73373034/original.j pg" target="_blank">Chart</a>
This is a comparison of 1Hz (red) and 5Hz (blue) sample rates.

Also, video overlay, although a nice feature, isn't as useful to me as overlaying graphs and maps. It's far easier to analyze data through graphs than video. For example, MaxQData has some really good software for on the fly reviewing.

#51 STS 91' Civic Si

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2007 14:03]

Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15190 is a reply to message #15099] Thu, 03 May 2007 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GSXR is currently offline  GSXR   United States
Second Gear

I'm not too sure how worthwhile a datalogger is for autox. I think the biggest problem is you get 3 runs and then you never see the course ever again. I doubt you really have enough time in between runs to really analyze what you've done before you have to run again and to boot, you don't really know where the course is. The datalogger just spits out a curvy line and you have no idea where the cones are. I used a datalogger before and it was neat to play with but I didn't help me with my driving or car setup.

The video logging sounds better just because you can see what's going on and more importantly you can review it before your next run. But anyone can just buy a camera and mount it on their headrest.

Maybe if you combine both, you'll get more info but the problem I see is that you won't be able to process the data between runs. You can do it after the event but then you'll never see the course again.

Mark
91 STS
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15194 is a reply to message #15190] Thu, 03 May 2007 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rubenpadron is currently offline  rubenpadron   United States
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

GSXR wrote on Thu, 03 May 2007 14:52

I'm not too sure how worthwhile a datalogger is for autox. I think the biggest problem is you get 3 runs and then you never see the course ever again. I doubt you really have enough time in between runs to really analyze what you've done before you have to run again and to boot, you don't really know where the course is. The datalogger just spits out a curvy line and you have no idea where the cones are. I used a datalogger before and it was neat to play with but I didn't help me with my driving or car setup.

Sorry Mark, I have to totally disagree... recently comparing my runs using the MaxQ with a VERY fast driver in my car has been one of the biggest eye openers to improve my driving. Realizing that "wow he's doing X in a particular spot, while I'm doing Y" really made my times drop... even though the analysis (over-analysis? Smile ) took place after the 3 runs.

Data logging is also very useful for those runs where you could swear that you were slower, but the clock tells you otherwise... then you can pin point what you did where to make up the time.

All this, overlayed with video would probably have me spending 20-30 hours per run over analyzing each and every second of footage... which is really fun anyhow! Smile

Ruben
CSP Miata

Ruben
CSP Miata

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2007 16:51]

Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #15222 is a reply to message #15099] Fri, 04 May 2007 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

hmmm. yea i think that video overlap with data is pretty cool and be useful for autoX but not as useful as it will be for Track people since someone has already pointed out that you'll never see the same "track" again if ur in AutoX. but i think it'll be good to compare with ur friends and see what they did and so forth.

Keep the discussion going on guys. this is great

Ed lin
Re: A cheap integrated videocamera/datalogger [message #17584 is a reply to message #15099] Sat, 30 June 2007 11:54 Go to previous message
codename Bil Doe is currently offline  codename Bil Doe   United States
Sixth Gear

This is exactly the kind of package I was looking for; but, I'd have to know a lot more about specs before I'd consider.
Previous Topic: 03 - 06 MINI Cooper brake question
Next Topic: SM Civic going on a diet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 06:39:21 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00554 seconds