Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes
Re: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes [message #122591 is a reply to message #122576] Sat, 09 February 2019 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

brmxr4ti wrote on Tue, 05 February 2019 10:20
bpstanaway wrote on Mon, 04 February 2019 09:19
I'd complain about being put in a class with Praneil too, but he was moonlighting in STU anyway so you've still got the same hill to climb Paul Wink

What are you talking about, Praneil is a great motivator but he's faster in STR IMHO. This is my hill to climb...

on a 55.00 sec course I have to be this much faster to out Pax STU, STX, STR

XP .500

SSP 2.400

STU 4.500

STX 5.500

STR 4.900

So think about the hill I have to climb to get Andy McKee. Andy will be my AAS motivation. Praneil will be my SCCA, Lotus Club motivation.

Have Fun

Ben

The whole point of Index is that you/your class are, on average, ALREADY that much faster than those classes in raw time. If not, it's on you. Or it's a rainy day, or a course that really favors one type of car over another, or whatever.

Praneil, James, and now David in STR who beat Jimmy today (and add Matt when he shows up) are now added to Jimmy and Hal as drivers usually in front of me. OK, that's reality, but having trophied a bit in the past I can say it's better than not trophying. Yeah, I am trying to improve myself still, but am not sure if it feels like added incentive when a lot of National Trophy-level people suddenly appear in between me and local levels of success. And yeah that's my personal problem, everyone's motivation is personal.

So Ben, when you make an event, consider this a request to have you ride along with me!

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes [message #122592 is a reply to message #122584] Sat, 09 February 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

SDPT wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 19:48
We have been using groups for our classes in Reno for a long time now. While we don't get 120+ cars like SFR does, we did get up to those numbers a few years ago. With our venue struggles as of late, our entries have fallen off. But in the end, it works and it gets drivers to meet new drivers as they are competing against a whole new group.

Good points! FWIW the classes I have been in have not been indexed except when I tried out an Indexed class (T2) many moons ago. And I did that for the experience with a different set of competitors. It's my first time being (force)grouped that way, having generally been in classes large enough to not bother with that, and it is certainly because the attendance is down compared to the past. Just have to get used to it. Last year STU averaged around 7. Today SFR had just over 100 counting fun runners. And the STU+STR class had 11 if you count fun-runner Matt.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes [message #122593 is a reply to message #122584] Sat, 09 February 2019 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

SDPT wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 19:48
We have been using groups for our classes in Reno for a long time now. While we don't get 120+ cars like SFR does, we did get up to those numbers a few years ago. With our venue struggles as of late, our entries have fallen off. But in the end, it works and it gets drivers to meet new drivers as they are competing against a whole new group.

Re: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes [message #122600 is a reply to message #122593] Mon, 11 February 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

I definitely don't prefer index classing but when average event attendance is in the 105-110 range, 42 classes is far too many and dilutes competition. For street tire classes I tried to either keep course dependency to a minimum, or put classes/cars together that were already together before (EG current B/D/F Street cars). STU/STR have to essentially run heads up anyway so that made sense to me. While there is a bit of course dependency at play, this should balance out over the season. I hope that provides enough incentive to attend more than just a few events.

We had the "Pro" class to keep some distance between the national & local level drivers, however this was not being used enough (at all) to justify it's existence. This can change if consistent support for it exists and is made known. Of course, the encouragement here is to learn and improve, whether that be directly or by osmosis. I hope SFR can return to putting on our own driver's school in the future to aid that.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes [message #122608 is a reply to message #122600] Wed, 13 February 2019 19:20 Go to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

tony_rod wrote on Mon, 11 February 2019 09:19
I definitely don't prefer index classing but when average event attendance is in the 105-110 range, 42 classes is far too many and dilutes competition. For street tire classes I tried to either keep course dependency to a minimum, or put classes/cars together that were already together before (EG current B/D/F Street cars). STU/STR have to essentially run heads up anyway so that made sense to me. While there is a bit of course dependency at play, this should balance out over the season. I hope that provides enough incentive to attend more than just a few events.

We had the "Pro" class to keep some distance between the national & local level drivers, however this was not being used enough (at all) to justify it's existence. This can change if consistent support for it exists and is made known. Of course, the encouragement here is to learn and improve, whether that be directly or by osmosis. I hope SFR can return to putting on our own driver's school in the future to aid that.

Thumb Up
Thumb Up

Previous Topic: Nationals and SFR
Next Topic: Small helmet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 20:08:30 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00946 seconds