Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Nationals and SFR
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122435 is a reply to message #122427] Mon, 05 November 2018 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

atcovan wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 08:16
My first trip was in 2000 in my CS '91 MR2 and came in 17 of 57. Trophy's went 15 deep, but I still felt top 10 is adequate. I would think the accomplishment would feel better if we didn't give everyone a prize just for showing up. Life isn't like that. Oh, I'm nearly 60, so ease up on the classes with people over that, buster Smile

Nearly 60? I didn't bring I.Q. into this! (kidding) Laughing

No, no, no, meant total people in the class was over 60. That is a HUGE run group. As a spectator though, it's a little boring, especially if it's all, say, SSC cars. No offense meant to SSC of course.

As far as over 60 years, this year they did institute a separate listing called Masters, it's a PAX Index ranking of everyone 62 and over.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122436 is a reply to message #122433] Mon, 05 November 2018 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Krote6 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 10:53
With the National site so large, It is very difficult to make the same size course. Maybe some of the elements can be incorporated into our sites but not the total style of courses.

Very true, great comment! And Frank did exactly that with an AAS course right before Nationals, attempted to use some of the same elements from the actual course maps. Rumor had it that a group up in the Midwest somewhere built EXACT copies of the courses and practiced on them. Perhaps this will keep SCCA from releasing the maps ahead of time? Next year someone will build a virtual copy of the course for one of the video gaming platforms and you'll be able to see it all up front. (I hope not.)

but to comment on Cliff's comment, every course is made of elements you must learn to negotiate efficiently. So there is something to learn almost every time. With the possible exception of the Round 15 course. Dead A course I was apparently unable to learn. Why is there no emoji for sour grapes? Rolling Eyes That's a thread hijack, please start a new thread if you wish to discuss R15.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122437 is a reply to message #122414] Mon, 05 November 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Ophitoxaemia wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 16:10
I was perusing at the Solo Nationals results in SportsCar and it seemed like there were fewer SFR champions and trophy winners than in years past. At one time I remember SF Region won more nationals trophies than even any other Division.

Still true?

Sorry to say, you've done it now! I went ahead and bought The Book by Rocky Entriken and will have some analysis of SFR's historical Nationals performance in a future column. While it doesn't have everyting I was looking for, an initial impression is that SFR had lots more champions and trophies, on a percentile basis, in the distant past (1980's). But many other regions have caught up in their participation.

Still to be revealed is whether SFR has fallen below an average value. It is true that SFR has more total trophies and Championships than any other Region. But I'm reminded of the song that asks,"But what have you done for me L A T E L Y?" Smile

Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122438 is a reply to message #122435] Mon, 05 November 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Paul said, "No, no, no, meant total people in the class was over 60." Yup, I got that and made a joke Smile

Jim
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122441 is a reply to message #122428] Mon, 05 November 2018 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tigermack is currently offline  tigermack   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Merlin wrote on Sat, 03 November 2018 14:30
Or maybe have courses that are like course at national...

This.

Mack Tsang
13 BRZ #188
05 Mazda3 FSP #188 - retired
prevs. 07 Mazdaspeed & 95 BMW STX #188

http://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

Sandbagger #1
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122442 is a reply to message #122437] Mon, 05 November 2018 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
racinric95   United States
Third Gear

When you breakdown your data from the book it might be interesting to know how
much influence Sacramento and Fresno had on the SFR total.
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122443 is a reply to message #122442] Tue, 06 November 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

racinric95 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 20:35
When you breakdown your data from the book it might be interesting to know how
much influence Sacramento and Fresno had on the SFR total.

Well, that info is NOT available in the book. It's clear that there is some info on that in the actual results *coughHeitkottercough* where trophies/champions come from, and I may look at those for the last couple of years. But basically it involves pulling up the National results, searching for whatever abbreviation they used for SFR that year, and looking at the stated hometown for that person. There was a cadre of Sac Chapter folks with a trophies/Championships in the past who strongly contributed to SFR totals as well. I invite others to contribute their time on this topic....

Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122444 is a reply to message #122436] Tue, 06 November 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

pault1 wrote on Mon, 05 November 2018 14:20
.... Rumor had it that a group up in the Midwest somewhere built EXACT copies of the courses and practiced on them. Perhaps this will keep SCCA from releasing the maps ahead of time?

This is now confirmed in the latest Sportscar - it was a Michigan SCCA Region that did this, on a large concrete site! (Where's the emoticon/emoji for BOZO?!) *:O) clown

A competitor who had run the replica courses was protested because of this. The Nationals courses were "tweaked to create layouts deemed essentially different" and the protest was disallowed. Part of the tweaking was that there was a pavement breakup on the West course that couldn't be repaired so they re-routed around it. We were given the chance to walk out to see the repair/change location prior to running it.

Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122447 is a reply to message #122444] Tue, 06 November 2018 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

Watched the videos of the copy courses before and after nats. They were absolutely similar, both visually and in speed. The changes were so minor that it made very little difference to the overall course. It was a failing on a lot of parts to allow such a thing to occur. Good thing this year didn't matter much.

SFR is strong with a lot of current and former champs. Other regions have caught up and have bigger programs now. I would argue competition is thicker now than it was in <insert decade>. Just like other sports, dynasty's end.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: Nationals and SFR [message #122449 is a reply to message #122447] Tue, 06 November 2018 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ophitoxaemia is currently offline  Ophitoxaemia   United States
Sixth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

Was SFR's dynasty due to being bigger than the other regions?

If so, why did SFR's program get bigger than other regions?

I've been told that the Kelly's had a lot to do with that. Another reason I thought was the weather- I was initially driving in 25+ events per year and in every month. How could another region ever compete with our weather?
Previous Topic: SFR Solo Chair: ending one term and beginning another
Next Topic: 2019 SFR news, class grouping changes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 19:59:59 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01144 seconds