Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » First Timer Autocross Advice For Crows Landing Event (Crows Landing Autocross Event)
First Timer Autocross Advice For Crows Landing Event [message #122297] Sat, 08 September 2018 18:14 Go to next message
Codda1234 is currently offline  Codda1234   United States
First Gear

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I am interested in trying my hand at autocross for the first time at the upcoming event at Crows Landing Sept 29 and 30th. Ultimately I would like to get into some tracks days but would like to sharpen my driving skills via autocross prior to heading out on the track. I have a few questions about autocross. I am hoping the friendly people on this forumn can guide me in the right direction.

Can I just show up or should I register online. What time should I arrive? It mentions I will need to work a shift. What type of work will I be doing and do they just assign me a task?

I've heard they may have helmets available but I don't want to show up and not have a helmet to use. Should I purchase a one? I don't want to purchase a helmet if it turns out motor sports is not my cup of tea.

My car is a 2006 Miata NC 6 speed with Ohlins, Progress sways front and rear, lsd, Goodwin racing headers with full exhaust, AEM CAI, and 17x8 wheels with 215|45|17 Michelin Pilot sport tires. What class would I run in?

Any other tips would be very much appreciated. Looking forward to perhaps meeting some of you at a future event.

Re: First Timer Autocross Advice For Crows Landing Event [message #122298 is a reply to message #122297] Sun, 09 September 2018 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

Since the events are sanctioned under AAS, there is only on-site registration. Let people know at registration that you're a first timer. At registration register, you'll also sign up for work. You'll be working as a course worker, picking up knocked over cones and such. What time you need to be there depends on if you plan to run in class or not and when you plan to run (morning or afternoon). If you plan to run in the morning, be there by 8am. Otherwise, noon for the afternoon groups.

There will be some helmets available. There should be enough loaner helmets, but there's a chance that may not be the case (it's rare that this happens). If you do plan to buy a helmet, you should get one that's Snell rated, preferably SA2015 rated.

If you still have a cat in the system (stock or aftermarket), you would be STR (Under ST1). Otherwise, CSP (Under SP1). ST1 and SP1 both are in run group 3 (morning groups) on the 29th, then in run group 4 (afternoon groups) on the 30th.

Bring water, snacks, and sunscreen. Don't be afraid to ask questions and introduce yourself to people. We're mostly okay people Smile

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: First Timer Autocross Advice For Crows Landing Event [message #122299 is a reply to message #122298] Sun, 09 September 2018 21:05 Go to previous message
Codda1234 is currently offline  Codda1234   United States
First Gear

Thank you very much for the reply Erik! Btw, my name is Eric also Smile Looking forward to meeting and chatting it up with some folks at the autocross event. Sounds like there are some nice people out there.
Previous Topic: SCC Auto-X September 1 & 2 Marina
Next Topic: Sac Chapter Thunderhill final rounds Sept 15-16
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 21 07:37:13 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00897 seconds