Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 (More than a few DNF's from missing key parts of the courses ...)
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122206 is a reply to message #122197] Wed, 08 August 2018 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

Paul, we can't chase single time entries. We don't have any information to back up the speculation as to why they have not returned. It could be as simple as "racing is expensive". You can't fix that. The novice program we have is about as good as it can get with the amount of volunteers and communication we have between everyone. I'm sure there is something that can be done here but there are just not enough people available.

My suggestion to all the suggestions is to just go and do it. If you notice it and it "needs" to be done, fine, set it up. Want the PA closer to grid? Ask the chair and move it yourself. Chairs, setup crew, etc have a hard enough time getting the course/trailer/timing/reg up while starting at 9am. If the course needs chalk because visuals suck then talk to the designer, take the chalker and go for it.

pault1 wrote on Tue, 07 August 2018 20:14

There are always rookies, just more this time because of Starting Line and VetMotorsports. So why does the driver's meeting get shorter and shorter as the year progresses? Checklist time?

There is a checklist available already. It varies because we have different chairs all year, and they choose to do things a different way. Again getting everyone on the same page requires communication and there just are not enough people available for this.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122207 is a reply to message #122204] Wed, 08 August 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Here's an idea... Transponder equipped cars will receive a loud, "You got it wrong!" message via helmet speaker when passing any cone on the wrong side Smile

Jim
Re: SCCA Rounds 10 and 11 [message #122209 is a reply to message #122206] Wed, 08 August 2018 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   United States
Top PAX

tony_rod wrote on Wed, 08 August 2018 11:36
Paul, we can't chase single time entries. We don't have any information to back up the speculation as to why they have not returned. It could be as simple as "racing is expensive". You can't fix that. The novice program we have is about as good as it can get with the amount of volunteers and communication we have between everyone. I'm sure there is something that can be done here but there are just not enough people available.

My suggestion to all the suggestions is to just go and do it. If you notice it and it "needs" to be done, fine, set it up. Want the PA closer to grid? Ask the chair and move it yourself. Chairs, setup crew, etc have a hard enough time getting the course/trailer/timing/reg up while starting at 9am. If the course needs chalk because visuals suck then talk to the designer, take the chalker and go for it.

Thumb Up

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
~100, [message #122210 is a reply to message #122206] Wed, 08 August 2018 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red5racing is currently offline  red5racing   United States
Sixth Gear

Echoing Tony's point, we'd like more instructors, but with attendance at ~100, and needing experienced people to fill a lot of key positions, there isn't too much we can do especially for afternoon groups. When Stockton comes online (unintended threadjack), attendance could easily double or triple with a lot more novices initially. Hopefully as the SCCA program expands we can expand the novice program too, there's lots that could be done.

I'm actually really proud of the amount of work the instructors put in, many of them work multiple sessions, even during their own run groups.

If anyone wants to join the instructor pool, message me on FB...

A bigger problem is the value proposition, SCCA autox is just too expensive vs the alternatives, we need to find a way to get a lot more runs into a day, I'd like to see at least a 3+4 format (3 for time, 4 more for bragging rights).

Re: ~100, [message #122212 is a reply to message #122210] Thu, 09 August 2018 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A.Kang is currently offline  A.Kang   
Fourth Gear

The 'whole-day' format I have seen used in many other clubs around the country could solve many of the issues in this thread.

One of the main issues, workers/instructors, could be handled by simply having larger run groups. More workers gives way to more instructors, to consistent course workers, no worker shortage, and less delay from having MORE workers.

The whole-day format can also mean setting/packing up early, consistent/predictable start times, more runs/fun runs, a tighter autox community, etc etc..

Thanks for the feedback on this last weekend's events. I'm happy to see we have a drive to improve our programs.

-Alex
2003 MR-2 Spyder (E-Street) #96
Re: ~100, [message #122214 is a reply to message #122212] Thu, 09 August 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

A.Kang wrote on Thu, 09 August 2018 11:49
The 'whole-day' format I have seen used in many other clubs around the country could solve many of the issues in this thread.

One of the main issues, workers/instructors, could be handled by simply having larger run groups. More workers gives way to more instructors, to consistent course workers, no worker shortage, and less delay from having MORE workers.

The whole-day format can also mean setting/packing up early, consistent/predictable start times, more runs/fun runs, a tighter autox community, etc etc..

Thanks for the feedback on this last weekend's events. I'm happy to see we have a drive to improve our programs.

Thumb Up

'15 STX #1/87
Re: ~100, [message #122218 is a reply to message #122212] Thu, 09 August 2018 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

A.Kang wrote on Thu, 09 August 2018 11:49

The all day format is what I also experienced with the Midwest groups. You're right, it worked for them.

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: ~100, [message #122219 is a reply to message #122218] Fri, 10 August 2018 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Let's not forget how much push-back received about having to be there all day. Many a time I was there all day and it a'int gonna kill you. Stockton can get really hot, but also Crow's, so I don't expect "all day" would be popular. Could the time slip person have an FM headset to hear the announcer? Or, a solar powered radio at that station?

Jim
Re: ~100, [message #122220 is a reply to message #122219] Fri, 10 August 2018 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A.Kang is currently offline  A.Kang   
Fourth Gear

Jim, "all-day" doesn't mean 9-5. It CAN be 9-5, but I don't think anyone wants to stay that long.

Clubs I ran with in the East Coast packed up as early as 2pm. Even SFR morning run groups can run until passed 1pm.

As unpopular as it might be for some, I think overall it would help the club function at a higher level.

-Alex
2003 MR-2 Spyder (E-Street) #96
Re: ~100, [message #122221 is a reply to message #122220] Fri, 10 August 2018 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

A.Kang wrote on Fri, 10 August 2018 10:15
Jim, "all-day" doesn't mean 9-5. It CAN be 9-5, but I don't think anyone wants to stay that long.

Clubs I ran with in the East Coast packed up as early as 2pm. Even SFR morning run groups can run until passed 1pm.

As unpopular as it might be for some, I think overall it would help the club function at a higher level.

I agree. Larger run groups equal more bodies to get the job done.

Jim
Previous Topic: Marina Auto-x July 14 & 15
Next Topic: SCC Auto-X September 1 & 2 Marina
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 15 07:04:31 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01298 seconds