Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » 2018 Solo Nat's thread
2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122047] Tue, 26 June 2018 17:25 Go to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Here, I'll kick it off:
SCCA Nationals schedule of actities: https://www.scca.com/downloads/41250-2018-schedule-of-activities

And the run days schedule I just found out about, d'oh! https:// dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/site_assets/000 /027/551/original.pdf?1516892141

Actual run group times won't be posted until after reg closes ~Aug 20th. But the days allows you to make your travel plans.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122079 is a reply to message #122047] Mon, 09 July 2018 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Hmmm, speaking of making your travel plans....

The Solo Nat's official capacity of 1350 participants, believed to be the largest number of participants in any single motorsport event in the world, has already been exceeded! Not in several weeks like last year, but in less than 5 days. Went to sign up Saturday and was told I was waitlisted. Shocked Sad Exclamation Question Dead I guess the economy is getting better....

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122080 is a reply to message #122079] Mon, 09 July 2018 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Never thought this could happen in so few days. Maybe an additional day will need consideration for the future? 1350 is a lot to do in 4 days.

Jim
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122095 is a reply to message #122080] Wed, 11 July 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Obviously neither did I think that!

Analyzing 1350 entry cap: That's 375 attendees/day (then double that for two courses) for four days straight. It's IMO maxed out at that level. Adding one additional day would probably get a lot of pushback. They use the Labor Day week so leaving the holiday out gets you four days. Most people need the weekend on one end or the other to drive there. There's staffing questions for SCCA, overtime costs. Site fees would go up too, though the reg cost is probably a minor factor for most; once you count fuel+miles, motels, food, tires, then $190 for reg is just another small item. At least for us Left Coasters.

You'd have to make it two days for one set of entrants and three for the other (so you can have a meaningful awards banquet); who knows what else.

SFR did one of their first events of the year, nicknamed Boondoggle, back in the 2000's where there were like 340 entrants. It took until after dark (~6:00 p.m. in February) to get everyone through. 375 is a testament to their organizational skills and experience for the SCCA Nat's crew.

I would GUESS the next step will be going back to some sort of pre-reg mandatory requirements. They used to mandate that you had run a Solo Tour before you did Nat's so you at least knew the drill, so that probably excluded a few people. For the Road Racers there's some sort of qualifying level of achievement or attendance prior to being able to do the Runoffs, so maybe that would happen at Nat's.

FWIW I did a rough count on the entry list and SFR has +/- 45 entrants for the Nat's, which seems maybe even higher than past events though I don't have stats on that.

Ooops, just like my column in the Wheel I have over-analyzed again. OH well. Still hoping for that mail that says that I get in from the wait list!

Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122099 is a reply to message #122095] Wed, 11 July 2018 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Paul, I like what you have to say and read every word. Hope you get in this year. Back in the day, one needed to run top third in a Divisional to be able to attend the Nat's. That certainly made entry levels low.

Jim
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122113 is a reply to message #122099] Fri, 13 July 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Jim, that is interesting. That is long before I ever considered going to the nationals, that Divisional finish requirement. Do you remember if it was the top 3rd in your specific class or the top 3rd in index, or what?
We have done it different ways here over the years, and as I recall we haven't worried about having a divisional ever since we had the tour. But it would seem kind of harsh if you were 6th out of the top 6 guys at nationals in your class but since they were all in your division you ended up last at the divisional and therefore couldn't attend the national. Know what I mean? Razz

Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122115 is a reply to message #122113] Fri, 13 July 2018 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

As I recall, the top 3 in each class in each region and chapter (far fewer classes back then) earned a spot at the National Championship, if they chose to attend. Salina Kansas was party central. Don't know what would happen if no one showed up! In my first year, CS had 57 entries and I came in 17th.

Jim
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122118 is a reply to message #122115] Sun, 15 July 2018 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

17th, Was that a trophy? Nowadays I think it's top 25% rounded up at Nationals are trophy spots.

Realistically I have a ways to go to make it to the trophies. With large entries in many of the classes, the gaps in the trophy winners' times are quite small. Last year STU had exactly 0.010 between the last trophy and the next TWO positions outside of the trophies! That's mighty small. Sad
I just hope for rain. Wink

Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122119 is a reply to message #122118] Sun, 15 July 2018 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Nope, the last trophy went to 13th. I was as sick as I've ever been and not up to my best. I had done very well in the wet practice at Mather and hoped for rain, as well.

Jim
Re: 2018 Solo Nat's thread [message #122130 is a reply to message #122119] Sat, 21 July 2018 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Got my wish - received a message from Nationals and from MotorsportReg that I was in / my card had been charged. They up'd the limit to 1400 and that squeaked me in. Woohoo!
Oh, and Nationals trophy award is 1 of each three rounded up (7-9 entrants = 3 trophies) then after that every 4 additional entrants adds one. Nothing like making it simple.... so 29 means 8 trophies.

Previous Topic: SCC AUTO-X Marina Aug 25
Next Topic: Stockton Site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 18 07:23:48 PST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01159 seconds