Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » Helmet Tech/Safety Question (Bell 500 Open Face Helmet)
Helmet Tech/Safety Question [message #121990] Wed, 13 June 2018 16:16 Go to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

A buddy of mine is going to start autocrossing with his new 2018 Mustang GT. Unfortunately he bought a helmet mail order before talking with me. He got a Bell 500 open face motorcycle helmet without any Snell certifictions. It is a DOT and also ECE certified helmet. Reading the SCCA document for helmets it is obvious that DOT helmets are not acceptable, but some ECE helmets seem to be ok. The helmet he got is marked with an E9 in circle on a tag sewn on the chin strap (where the "9" represents that is was certified for Spain). If I were doing tech inspections I don't think I would allow it. I've told him to return it and get a motorsports helmet with a Snell certification but he thinks this is a good helmet. Does anyone understand the ECE certification standards as applicable for SCCA solo and know definitively if this helmet is legal for solo use? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
FS #7
Re: Helmet Tech/Safety Question [message #121991 is a reply to message #121990] Wed, 13 June 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skarillo   United States
Second Gear

ECE 22.05 is listed as an acceptable helmet certification. The SCCA website uses E4 as an example but like you said the number just represents where it is certified for. While I don't know if SCCA only allows helmets certified for E4 (Netherlands) or just used it as an example, if you can find another location on the helmet that as ECE 22/05 it should be good to go.

Ryan - 93 Economy Street
Re: Helmet Tech/Safety Question [message #121992 is a reply to message #121991] Wed, 13 June 2018 16:51 Go to previous message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

Thanks, Ryan.

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
FS #7
Previous Topic: Bore Scope Recommendations
Next Topic: The list for "Where to get tire?"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 19 23:56:22 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00975 seconds