Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Stockton Site
Re: Stockton Site [message #121959 is a reply to message #121958] Thu, 31 May 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skarillo   United States
Second Gear

Initial work surveying is close to or has already wrapped up. No information has been made available as to when construction will begin. The project is still moving forward.

Ryan - 93 Economy Street
Re: Stockton Site [message #121960 is a reply to message #119813] Thu, 31 May 2018 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

DSP_Buckle wrote on Mon, 30 January 2017 11:47
http://ejumpcut.org/archive/jc51.2009/granTorino/JCpix/22-Gran-Torino.jpg

you get them over the course of many years

OMG, Hugo, I just got it (yes, I'm a bit slow). Tho, I'd say this one is well ready Shocked

Jim
Re: Stockton Site [message #121961 is a reply to message #121960] Thu, 31 May 2018 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Compaddict is currently offline  Compaddict   
Third Gear

Thanks for the info!

#92 CSP Miata
Re: Stockton Site [message #122246 is a reply to message #121961] Mon, 20 August 2018 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nokones is currently offline  nokones   
Second Gear

I'm hearing that the entity that governs the operation of the Stockton Fairgrounds is not accepting the language in the contract/agreement. It appears that Stockton may be a no-go for a future permanent autocross site for SFR. In order to lock down a permanent autocross site well into the future of SFR, the committee involved in this matter should take a hard look at Thunder Hill and start working with Thunder Hill to see what it will take to make it happen for future generations of autocrossers. I know, there will be a strong resistance from people in the Bay Area and they will say that it won't be attended by Bay Area Autocrossers. If my memory serves me right, I think the Bay Area Road Races said the same thing before Thunder Hill project was becoming a more desirable location for a permanent track. Guess what, it appears that the Road Racers do attend the event at Thunder Hill.

I'm sure that Thunder Hill would be more than willing to work with the Autocrossing community and see what they can do to accommodate the needs of autocrossing. I hear that do a pretty good job of accommodating other types of motorsports at Thunder Hill.

So, the Committee should be contacting Thunder Hill and at least start talking to them and see what can happen. It doesn't hurt to talk to them. The committee needs to do something before it is too late to do anything.

Kenneth Allan Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com
Re: Stockton Site [message #122250 is a reply to message #122246] Mon, 20 August 2018 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impala SS AutocroSSer   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

As someone who has been more involved in the Stockton project than, conservatively, 99.5% of the people on this board...

Some things should not be negotiated in public. This board IS public.

We work thru the process, and go that route. IF the Stockton project is dead, then we investigate different alternatives. It is NOT dead.

That will be all I have to say on this. And please be smart enough to figure out that publicly negotiating the details is, bluntly, a very stupid thing to do. THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

Ed Runnion

2016 Scion FR-S, SSC 116 "CU TGERS"
1996 Chevy Impala SS, CP 63 "T56 SS"

Former : HS Fiesta ST, DS/FS Genesis Coupe, STC Civic Si, STS Acura Integra, STX Subaru WRX Wagon
Re: Stockton Site [message #122253 is a reply to message #122246] Mon, 20 August 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Fourth Gear

nokones wrote on Mon, 20 August 2018 06:35
If my memory serves me right, I think the Bay Area Road Races said the same thing before Thunder Hill project was becoming a more desirable location for a permanent track. Guess what, it appears that the Road Racers do attend the event at Thunder Hill.

Actually, if you payed attention to that you would know Road Race is having issue with attendance as well. The Thunderhill races a undersubscribed and they're looking for ways to get people in and interested. HPDE's and the like also have lower attendance vs the Laguna & Sonoma offerings, but they're a little better of a business model.

'15 STX #1/87

[Updated on: Mon, 20 August 2018 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stockton Site [message #122267 is a reply to message #122253] Sat, 25 August 2018 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Davey is currently offline  Davey   
Third Gear

Make road racing cheaper is one way.....lol

But I understand they do have an bottom line operating cost.

Reno ran a Track event and Time attack event on the West course. They had a first timer special for $150 and it sold out.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen)

[Updated on: Sat, 25 August 2018 12:51]

Re: Stockton Site [message #122269 is a reply to message #122267] Sat, 25 August 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Thunderhill doesn't need motorsports. Matter of fact, I've heard there are several housing developments breaking ground across the street and the track will only be able to have RV and horsey shows and horse stables. Sound familiar? (dripping with sarcasm, so lighten up, people) Smile

Jim
Re: Stockton Site [message #122283 is a reply to message #122269] Thu, 30 August 2018 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nokones is currently offline  nokones   
Second Gear

I understand the fact that if there are events near where people live people will attend those events rather than travel further to another event venue. Time and money are important factors to people.

Marina is a good example. Marina events will draw more people from the South Bay Area rather than from the Sacramento Area just because of the logistics (traffic, lodging, etc.) getting to the event, just like people from the South Bay will not attend events at Thunder Hill, I get it.

Crows Landing is a little more centrally located for both the South Bay and Sacramento areas. However, the Crows Landing site days are numbered and the future use of Marina is questionable.

Where will SFR host Tours and Pro Solos if the Stockton project does not become a reality?

If the Stockton project does not materialize, what are the options for a future autocross event site? If the future site planning project committee does not have a plan B, and is just relying on only plan A (Stockton), that is poor planning on part of the committee. The planning committee should not wait and see if plan A fails or not.

Is this committee resistant to considering Thunder Hill as a viable future autocross site because of the distance to where most of the committee members reside? That is not right. They should be considering the needs of the Region not their personal needs.

Actually, I don't blame them not wanting to commute further than they want to commute. But, if the Thunder Hill Raceway Park is going to be the only viable venue for the future, I think the committee should have a Plan B in place to implement immediately when plan A ends up not being a viable plan/option.

Thunder Hill may very well be the only viable autocross venue in Northern California in the near future. If you don't express a need to have Thunder Hill set aside sufficient space for autocrossing in the very near future, you may find out that any available space available today may not be available tomorrow.

And, I never asked to have the Stockton negotiating details published publicly on this form. All I said, if the project is not working out that Thunder Hill should be seriously considered.

Also, keep this form for the non-facebook users.

Kenneth Allan Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com

[Updated on: Thu, 30 August 2018 08:22]

Re: Stockton Site [message #122290 is a reply to message #122283] Fri, 31 August 2018 15:27 Go to previous message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

nokones wrote on Thu, 30 August 2018 08:19

Is this committee resistant to considering Thunder Hill as a viable future autocross site because of the distance to where most of the committee members reside? That is not right. They should be considering the needs of the Region not their personal needs.

Ken,

First: Stockton IS NOT DEAD.

Second: The Steering Committee is resistant to Thunderhill because the majority of SFR's auto cross members live in the Mid to South bay area. The center of the SFR auto cross community is actually somewhere near the Fremont area. Your insinuation otherwise is frankly uncalled for. Please be careful not to cross the "ban" line.

If the location chosen by SFR Steering Committee benefits the Sac chapter and the Fresno chapter as well, then that's all good, but that is not the primary concern. The first concern will be for a location that best benefits the majority of the SFR auto cross membership. Thunderhill does not accomplish that.

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Fri, 31 August 2018 16:14]

Previous Topic: 2018 Solo Nat's thread
Next Topic: Locations of events. Primary difference between clubs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 21 07:35:14 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01102 seconds