Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Alameda point Autocross location
Alameda point Autocross location [message #121939] Tue, 29 May 2018 10:08 Go to next message
USDM_WRX is currently offline  USDM_WRX   United States
First Gear

I have been living in Alameda for three years now, and I have noticed that the Porsche Club of America are allowed to Autocross on Alameda point. Why is it that the PCA can autocross there, but no other events are allowed? Also, I noticed that there used to be events at the Oracle but that no longer happens. I'm new to the area and i'm just curious about these areas. Thanks.
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121941 is a reply to message #121939] Tue, 29 May 2018 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

PCA has a good relationship with the city. AAS had a couple events at Alameda before, but some false claims about street racing kicked the club out.

Oakland Coliseum no longer wanted to host autox events due to liability issues, and I believe the there was a change in point of contact who does not want to be involved.

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 370Z

Sandbagger #2
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121942 is a reply to message #121941] Tue, 29 May 2018 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

that is unfortunate. I'm in the Coast Guard and I live right by there, and it would have been nice to be able to practice with them since it is pretty complicated for me to get out to Fresno and Crows as often as I would like to learn more. My schedule is pretty hectic. Thanks for the quick reply.
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121943 is a reply to message #121942] Tue, 29 May 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Thank you for your service. Buy a Porsche and join, or try to hook-up with the rare* Porsche driver who needs a co-driver and wants to go to real autocrosses, then you'll have all kinds of practice time Smile

* realizes there's more to life than just gold chains and wine tours.

Jim
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121944 is a reply to message #121943] Tue, 29 May 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mwood   United States
Top Time of Day

I'd reach out directly to GG region PCA and ask them about coming out. It is their show, they can do what they want and, I'd certainly hope, your status as active CG might compel them to hook a brother up Smile

(and thanks for your service!)

Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121945 is a reply to message #121942] Tue, 29 May 2018 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpstanaway is currently offline  bpstanaway   United States
First Gear

Stockton is actually the closest site to you that isn't Alameda and the Lotus Club down at Marina offers a lot of seat time (7x morning runs, 7x afternoon runs) and is a helluva lot closer than Fresno. If you're willing to spend a day going out to Fresno, pretty much every other site in NorCal is closer than that from Alameda except Eureka (5+ hour drive)

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12861&am p;am p;start=0&rid=3270

#39 STX FR-S
Occasional STX(H?) Mini

[Updated on: Tue, 29 May 2018 17:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121946 is a reply to message #121945] Tue, 29 May 2018 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nokones is currently offline  nokones   
Second Gear

As long as the event is not a PCA Zone 7 event, most of the Porsche Club regions will allow non-Porsche club members to enter their event providing that there are not a lot of club members entering.

Kenneth Allan Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121947 is a reply to message #121941] Tue, 29 May 2018 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

justint5387 wrote on Tue, 29 May 2018 10:17
PCA has a good relationship with the city. AAS had a couple events at Alameda before, but some false claims about street racing kicked the club out.

Oakland Coliseum no longer wanted to host autox events due to liability issues, and I believe the there was a change in point of contact who does not want to be involved.

I was personally involved in trying to get an event for a marque club in Alameda Point 10+ years ago. There were many hurdles and substantial costs involved, which were prohibitive (multiple thousands of dollars) for one event of a smaller group. Those did not stop GM, Mazda, etc. from having events there - I attended two of these in the "Rev It Up" series at that site. I did attend an AAS event there before they were un-invited. The background political situation in Alameda was/is amazingly polarized. It ranged from those wanting to immediately develop everything commercially so nothing like a contract should be signed, to those who felt that any use of a motor vehicle constitutes an unpardonable despoiling of Mother Earth; this despite the presence of huge shipping vessels a quarter mile away whose idling emissions were vastly larger than a whole field of autocrossers. This resulted in a situation where it was extremely difficult to get any group that was not already blessed/grandfathered (PCA, Mythbusters) in the door.

I don't have personal knowledge of the liability issues at the Coliseum but SCCA couldn't ever schedule a Tour-type event there because contractually Coliseum was allowed to cancel up to about a month before any event. Also once the Coliseum Authority got, visually at least, 'close' to some other deal like Raiders leaving, A's moving, etc. they quit maintaining their lot surface. This leads surprisingly quickly to deterioration that limits usability for autocross. A similar situation (planned-development-related deterioration from deferred maintenance) led to our decision to quit pursuing events at the Albany Golden Gate Fields site after 2006 or so. It also hasn't been developed in the meantime....

This puts Bay Area autocrossers in a situation more like most in the country. That is, if it's only an hour or two to the nearest event, (Stockton, Crows Landing, Marina Airport) be blissfully happy and support the local club by attending as much as possible! Thumb Up 2 Seconds

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121949 is a reply to message #121947] Wed, 30 May 2018 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

I really appreciate you guys catching me up on all the info. I have reached out to the PCA twice now, informing them that I would be grateful if they could allow me to get some wheel time while they were there. The first time I got a straight, No. The second time I gave them a month and a half notice to an event that was there this past weekend, and they said if they do not have enough Porsche's to reach their 95 spots, that they would let me know. About a week out I reached out again and got turned down. Kind of disappointing in my opinion. I will have to take time off of work to try to get some wheel time. I retire next year and will be relocating back to Austin Texas. I know there are plenty of events and track days there. I might have to be patient lol
Re: Alameda point Autocross location [message #121950 is a reply to message #121949] Wed, 30 May 2018 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Paul T., your posts are remarkable. You can relay information in great detail, while never ruffling feathers, and I find that very informative, non-contentious and relaxing. I, of course, don't have a good filter and make many communication mistakes! Thanks for your continued service to this organization of enthusiasts. To our friend, the OP, I say again, Thanks for your service and I wish you well and hope this next year passes quickly. Austin TX is a great place and any reason to leave CA is a good one.

Jim
Previous Topic: Traction bar on a honda civic
Next Topic: Should you check your insurance?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 04:21:41 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00986 seconds