Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » AutoCross NooB
AutoCross NooB [message #121842] Mon, 07 May 2018 09:12 Go to next message
USDM_WRX is currently offline  USDM_WRX   United States
First Gear

Hey everybody. Just found this forum. Wish I found this a while ago. I've been autocrossing for the past couple of years. I live in Alameda, so it is hard for me do travel to Fresno and Marina to attend more events and learn more. I have raced at the Pro Solo's at Crows Landing in 2016, 2017, and 2018. I do not get enough track time to drive as well as I need to, but it is fun. I think I do pretty well with the exception of taking the sweepers. I am having such a hard time not sliding around them and killing my time. Hopefully I can get to more events that are local. Everything is like 2 hours away from me.
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121843 is a reply to message #121842] Mon, 07 May 2018 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

Welcome to the forum!

Is the rear getting loose on entry or exit? What are you doing when the car gets loose?

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121845 is a reply to message #121843] Mon, 07 May 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skarillo   United States
Second Gear

This forum can be helpful but there are also facebook groups now for the the large clubs that operate at Marina and Crows Landing. They tend to be more active with creating events and sometimes discussions.

SFR SCCA - https://www.facebook.com/groups/241419473065976/?ref=br_rs

AAS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/109158692451069/?ref=br_rs

What level of prep is the WRX? (guess based on the username)

Ryan - 93 Economy Street
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121846 is a reply to message #121843] Mon, 07 May 2018 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
USDM_WRX is currently offline  USDM_WRX   United States
First Gear

The rear end is breaking loose in the exit. I've tried slowing down more, but end up slowing down too much. I just need to get out more and get some practice in. I'm diving into these events with zero practice. I hate being soo far from everything.
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121848 is a reply to message #121846] Mon, 07 May 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

Maybe soften the rear or more throttle modulation?

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121857 is a reply to message #121848] Wed, 09 May 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DSP_Buckle is currently offline  DSP_Buckle   United States
Sixth Gear

seat time is your friend indeed

Hugo Diaz
/\ Delta Sigma Phi:Zeta Omicron Chapter /\
:BS #906- '17 Impreza WRX STi
:BS #906 - '08 Impreza WRX STi Wagon (retired)
:STX #906 - '04 Impreza WRX Wagon (retired)
:SM #510 - '00 Impreza RS turbocharged (retired) "SR 25 RS"
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121860 is a reply to message #121857] Thu, 10 May 2018 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Welcome,

If you haven't found it yet, here is a calendar for most, if not all, Northern Cal events. http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12861&am p;am p;start=0&rid=258

You will find that most of the local events are at Alameda with the Porsche Club of America, and you have to be a member in most cases.

Marina and Crows landing are pretty much it for us in the Bay Area, so we drive a long way to have fun.

Sacramento Chapter SCCA has events at the San Joaquin Co fairgrounds, which is a little closer than Crows for you.

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Solo Chief of Safety

Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Thu, 10 May 2018 19:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121868 is a reply to message #121860] Sat, 12 May 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funCarStuff is currently offline  funCarStuff   United States
First Gear

What's the difference between SCCA and AAS? Hopefully that's not an inappropriate question to ask? Can I be a member/participant in both sections? For example, Marina was canceled - can I show up to Crows Landing run by AAS next week, and then later to SCCA events? Will I be upsetting anyone?
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121869 is a reply to message #121868] Sun, 13 May 2018 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpstanaway is currently offline  bpstanaway   
First Gear

You wouldn't upset anyone at all! Lots of people run with multiple clubs, and each club has their own style of event. We're very lucky to have multiple clubs that put on solid programs, taking advantage of them means all events get good turnout and can keep their group running and well funded. Show up with a good attitude and any club should be pretty welcoming.

#39 STX FR-S
Occasional STX(H?) Mini
Re: AutoCross NooB [message #121887 is a reply to message #121868] Tue, 15 May 2018 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

funCarStuff wrote on Sat, 12 May 2018 22:02
What's the difference between SCCA and AAS? Hopefully that's not an inappropriate question to ask? Can I be a member/participant in both sections? For example, Marina was canceled - can I show up to Crows Landing run by AAS next week, and then later to SCCA events? Will I be upsetting anyone?

Yeah, what he said. Cool There are people running all types of cars at both AAS and SCCA, and the other clubs mostly do allow out-of-marque cars with certain requirements/exceptions. A lot of people run both AAS and SFR-SCCA, and a few other clubs as well. Nobody cares who else you race with, there isn't a rivalry as such that I have seen. The more seat time you get and the more places you race, the better your experience base is and probably the better you will get!

AAS originally was formed by people who wanted (like they say on their site) courses that were more larger car / American car friendly, as opposed to MG's, Lotus, Honda. SFR is an all volunteer group, while AAS has a defined commercial structure. But the events feel about the same to the participants. You may get another run or two, or even more at events that are with smaller groups, but the events are often looser organized and have fewer direct competitors in your class. You'll have to work about as much as you run at almost all autocross venues.

Also, for most people, the SCCA Sacramento Chapter's events at Stockton are just about the same travel time as Crow's. So look for their events on the calendar as well.

Oh, and if you enjoy the racing, then you may want to consider the next level of participation, where you help organize or participate in the operation and governance of the clubs.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love

[Updated on: Tue, 15 May 2018 19:47]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: New to Autocross
Next Topic: Advice Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 14 03:52:42 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01116 seconds