Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » tire pressure monitor (huh?)
tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121878] Tue, 15 May 2018 14:06 Go to next message
Anthony Tabacco is currently offline  Anthony Tabacco   
Fourth Gear

So, can anyone explain whats up with these? I want to throw my OEM wheels and tires in the trash* and buy new tires pre-mounted on rims from Tire Rack, but it will mean the TPM sensors will need to be "registered"? Huh? And TR gives me the $224 option of buying new TPM's already installed but they still need to be registered (like, with whom, and by whom? And especial, why?)OR I can buy the package unmounted and have somebody (again, like who?) transfer the old ones over.

Is anyone able to explain what the story is and the logic of this? I knew this crap would happen when I went soft and bought a car with a roof and a radio.
tony

*where they belong
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121879 is a reply to message #121878] Tue, 15 May 2018 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

Your car's ECU recognizes the IDs for the sensors that are in your stock wheels only. Any tire mounting place can pull out the stock sensors from the stock wheels and put them in the new wheels. If you decide to not do that and use the aftermarket sensors, you need to program the ECU to recognize the IDs for the new sensors. You can ask a Subaru dealership or any tire mounting place if they can program the aftermarket sensors.

Or you say "screw it", use normal valves without sensors, and live with the TPMS light being on whenever you drive the car.

TPMS has been in all cars for a while now....

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121880 is a reply to message #121879] Tue, 15 May 2018 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Tabacco is currently offline  Anthony Tabacco   
Fourth Gear

Thanks again Erik. I guess that means the tires cannot be on the wheels when a shop re-mounts the sensors.

Hey, I am going Enkei RPF-1 17" X 8" (15.5# vs. 22# stock) and decided on the tried n' true old (but new compound) Falken 615s 225/45-17 instead of of BFG Rivals. Lets be honest, this 2017 with PP is never going to be an autox car. I may as well just build it to drive back and forth to my cardiologist's office.
tony
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121881 is a reply to message #121880] Tue, 15 May 2018 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

you shouldn't have to take the tires off to register the sensor.

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 370Z

Sandbagger #2
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121883 is a reply to message #121881] Tue, 15 May 2018 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Check out the after market like Rock Auto for sensors that don't require a blood test to buy. Tire Rack is a great sponsor, but not always the best deal, especially the stealership.

Jim
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121905 is a reply to message #121883] Fri, 18 May 2018 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JourdanWithaU is currently offline  JourdanWithaU
Sixth Gear

Like the others have said, the registration is simply configuring the new sensors with the car. Don't need to access the sensors themselves to do this. (don't need to dismount the tires)

The original sensors can be moved from the stock wheels and to the new wheels. You will need the appropriate valve stems. In rare cases, depending on how the wheel is designed, the sensors and/or stems might not fit.

The tire doesn't have to be completely removed to get to the sensor. A decent tire shop can get to them with only breaking one bead. But the wheel/tire will need to be re-balanced.

Of course you can do it the old fashioned way and deal with a light on your dash. There might be some kind of liability with that though.

Jourdan R.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
151 T2-ASP
Njenius Grafix
Lubrify Racing Fluids
Auto Innovations
RBMS Auto Care
GST Motorsports
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121908 is a reply to message #121905] Fri, 18 May 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

That's what black tape is for. Of course, if the safety Nazis who know best how to operate your car, because the typical consumer is totally stupid, don't cause your car to go into limp mode.

Jim
Re: tire pressure monitor (huh?) [message #121929 is a reply to message #121878] Tue, 22 May 2018 15:21 Go to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Tony, what's the new car? Just asking because if I go to 18's I'm thinking the RPF-1's and that is a great weight for your 17's. The 18's are significantly more....

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Previous Topic: Shakedown run without glass
Next Topic: Bore Scope Recommendations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 15 07:04:34 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01221 seconds