Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Traction bar on a honda civic (Traction bar on a honda civic )
Traction bar on a honda civic [message #121689] Wed, 21 March 2018 11:45 Go to next message
Davey is currently offline  Davey   
Third Gear

Anybody have in put on adding a traction bar to the front of a 1992 civic? It is an EP car so it is legal. But just wondering if it is worth the 20 pounds it would add to the car weight.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen)
Re: Traction bar on a honda civic [message #121698 is a reply to message #121689] Thu, 22 March 2018 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

I'm probably missing something here - what do you mean by a traction bar? OK, I did a quick search and it seems to be similar to what they were on a live axle RWD, that is something that limits suspension movement, especially leaf spring wrap, for launch traction. Primarily for drag applications. There was a set on my old Nova when I bought it, which resulted in anyone in the back seat being bounced off of the roof when I went over a speedbump! I wanted handling so I tossed them and slapped on a sway bar.

OK, so a suspension limiter for FWD. The problem at least for racing that has corners would be that it would limit suspension movement all of the time, not just during launch. The movement of the car corners under the effect of dynamic loads under racing is normally controlled by the springs and sway bars, so you'd be adding a third dimension to that mix. It would change the effective spring rate once the suspension moved to X amount, which would tend to load that corner up sort of like the suspension binding when it got to a certain point, or running into the bump stops. When those latter things happen it generally means that the affected end of the car is going to push as it becomes much stiffer. Also if the spring rate elevates it is more difficult for the shock to control as well.

So without knowing jack about actually applying one in FWD, my initial guess is that it would not be a good idea for twisty-turny racing.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Traction bar on a honda civic [message #121706 is a reply to message #121698] Sat, 24 March 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Third Gear

I would agree, but on EF civics (late 80's to 91) and CRX chassis they have a radius arm that controls the back and forth movement of the lower control arm without restricting the up and down movement. If you buy a front traction bar for one of these cars you are simply replacing the stock suspension piece and its soft bushings with a heim joints.

On an EG civic (92-95) they don't have a radius arm from the front. They have a front lower control arm that has a peice that goes rearward and has a compliance bushing on the end. Again this is used to keep the lower control arm from moving forwards and backwards. Paul if you look at you Subaru the front lower control design is pretty much the same.

Adding a traction bar on the front would add a bar to the front of the lower control arm and assist in keeping that arm from moving forwards or backwards under braking and accelerating.

Again not sure if it would be a good thing for autocrossing. On a CRX or EF civic it is a great up grade over stock, but on a car that has the lower control arm that goes rearward to a compliance bushing not sure if it is going to work out.

Re: Traction bar on a honda civic [message #121707 is a reply to message #121706] Sat, 24 March 2018 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Third Gear

This is the one I was looking at.

https://www.full-race.com/store/honda-acura/traction-bars/ho nda-acura-prostreet-traction-bar/

Re: Traction bar on a honda civic [message #121724 is a reply to message #121707] Thu, 29 March 2018 12:13 Go to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

OK, so if I see that right it's sorta like my first gen Taurus with that control link going forward. That was always a problem in that the TPR bushings I got to stiffen things up for that link would take a set after a year or so and allow more fore-aft movement. When they were that way you could see it on course if you were watching my car, the front wheels would actually shift noticeably from deceleration to gas-on. I video'd it in my driveway and it was an inch plus!

If it's for EP I think you can change any bushing to a Heim so you're probably OK there (I'm not really up on Prepared rules, YMMV). If it only really affects the launch then it's more worthwhile for ProSolo since the launch isn't as big a part for Solo, though it's not zero. SFR has been allowing more straight line starts than it used to, and Sac never seemed to shy away from them. I'd ask around on maybe a National forum. Although SCCA's forum is not well attended, so maybe you have to go somewhere else, a Honda-specific site maybe?

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Previous Topic: SFR Solo Steering Committee meetings
Next Topic: Alameda point Autocross location
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 19 23:50:36 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01137 seconds