Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SFR Round 1 - well done!
SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121453] Sun, 11 February 2018 19:07 Go to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

A great event as far as I am concerned!
+ An amazingly long and interesting course by Charlie Davis. Worked well, rewarded "guts" /boldness at several places.
+ Four runs for a.m. groups at least (it sounded like there were computer issues in p.m., but I see some at least had 4)
+ Inaugural AXTime usage - awesome, very professional output. Thumb Up Click underneath their car number, then "driver info", to see the run breakdowns.
+ Significant numbers of rookies/novices. Figure out how to get these people to come back!
+ FSAE working for you and getting donations in return.
+ Solo Spec Coupe off to an excellent start. (side question - did they start this just to break up the huge STX fields running the Toyobarus?)
+ Chair'ing by Youmna and Justin seemed to go really well, thank you guys!
+ 65 degrees in February, whaaaat??

- Need a way to somehow strongly encourage all to attend driver's meeting. Maybe a subject for discussion at Steering Committee meeting - hand each attendee a reminder with their wristband? Second wristband handed out at the driver's meeting? Sweep car driving through paddock? just brainstorming here.
- We have a site FM channel available, let's get it operational (I will work with next event Chair to see if we can make this happen and get it into the startup sequence).

p.s. I will post up my pictures soon.

Thanks to all who contributed!

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121458 is a reply to message #121453] Sun, 11 February 2018 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

Youmna will appreciate that. She did a lot of work behind the scenes to make it less of a boondoggle. Every event can be that good, it just takes the right amount of effort.

'15 STX #1/87
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121463 is a reply to message #121453] Mon, 12 February 2018 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enjyursins is currently offline  Enjyursins   United States
First Gear

So much fun yesterday! Thanks Youmna and Justin!!
I'm Matt btw, 22 GS, Silver 2017 Civic Si sedan (the one whose tires liked to talk a lot;) )

In regards to getting and keeping novices, I have some suggestions.

This is my 2nd event with you all and I came early yesterday to help with setup and learned a lot, plus got to know some more people and even got a ride along with Rob in his Porsche. Fricken awesome btw...

Anyways, From my personal experiences and from what I've gathered from others, I think these may help

1- Post some basic communication (grid info, basic schedule etc) on a white board or similar by the registrar or timing trailer. Some of the questions they were asking were really basic but they didn't want to ask anyone either due to nerves or feeling like they'd look stupid.

Maybe have a quick announcement and short time between run groups for them to come to the trailer and ask questions that they may not of had at the morning meeting. Not a formal meeting or anything just a quick thing.

That being said, I had some questions and the guy at the registrars table was very helpful and nice.

2- At several track days I've been to, they introduced several experienced drivers and offered a sign up for ride alongs throughout the day during that drivers normal run time. You want to get someone hooked? Throw them in an experienced drivers car for a lap and see how they react. I know it's tough since we only get 4 runs and all of them count but maybe add 1 run for the driver as a "bonus" for taking a novice out.

3- Announcers making fun of the cars. I know, it's totally in good spirits but for a new driver to show up and get made fun of via a loud speaker is a bit embarrassing. Happened at Marina last run to a novice and again this run but I think this time they knew each each other. For real, not being thin skinned or anything but it could seriously deter some people from coming back. At the very least, make sure we don't poke at the novices.

Just suggestions. Please don't think I'm trying to make this perfectly PC or anything.

Thanks again and see you all in March!!
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121464 is a reply to message #121463] Mon, 12 February 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpstanaway is currently offline  bpstanaway   United States
First Gear

Definitely a big thanks to Youmna for putting up with us!

Enjyursins wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:57
2- At several track days I've been to, they introduced several experienced drivers and offered a sign up for ride alongs throughout the day during that drivers normal run time. You want to get someone hooked? Throw them in an experienced drivers car for a lap and see how they react. I know it's tough since we only get 4 runs and all of them count but maybe add 1 run for the driver as a "bonus" for taking a novice out.

This is so true, I wouldn't have gotten hooked if I hadn't ridden along with a fast driver early on ("wow that's how you drive it!"). Maybe a 'taxi available' decal (removable vinyl or magnet) of sorts? I know I'm not good enough for the weight to slow me down (but I'm also not good enough to be an example to newbies), but I'd hope there'd be a good showing of people willing to take a passenger on at least the 1st or 2nd run. Pull it off when you want to get serious, those that are more casual can leave it on for all the runs if they want.

It's one of the reasons I suggest newbies start with other groups than SCCA and AAS, less competitive and more runs typically means more people willing to take passengers. I almost never feel like I can ask for a ride along at SFR events.

#39 STX FR-S
Occasional STX(H?) Mini

[Updated on: Mon, 12 February 2018 09:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121467 is a reply to message #121463] Mon, 12 February 2018 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skarillo   United States
Second Gear

Enjyursins wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 08:57
So much fun yesterday! Thanks Youmna and Justin!!
I'm Matt btw, 22 GS, Silver 2017 Civic Si sedan (the one whose tires liked to talk a lot;) )

In regards to getting and keeping novices, I have some suggestions.

This is my 2nd event with you all and I came early yesterday to help with setup and learned a lot, plus got to know some more people and even got a ride along with Rob in his Porsche. Fricken awesome btw...

Anyways, From my personal experiences and from what I've gathered from others, I think these may help

1- Post some basic communication (grid info, basic schedule etc) on a white board or similar by the registrar or timing trailer. Some of the questions they were asking were really basic but they didn't want to ask anyone either due to nerves or feeling like they'd look stupid.

Maybe have a quick announcement and short time between run groups for them to come to the trailer and ask questions that they may not of had at the morning meeting. Not a formal meeting or anything just a quick thing.

That being said, I had some questions and the guy at the registrars table was very helpful and nice.

3- Announcers making fun of the cars. I know, it's totally in good spirits but for a new driver to show up and get made fun of via a loud speaker is a bit embarrassing. Happened at Marina last run to a novice and again this run but I think this time they knew each each other. For real, not being thin skinned or anything but it could seriously deter some people from coming back. At the very least, make sure we don't poke at the novices.

Just suggestions. Please don't think I'm trying to make this perfectly PC or anything.

Thanks again and see you all in March!!

Thanks for contributing any feedback as we are always looking for ways where we can improve. It most certainly is a challenge on how do we provide an environment that supports competition but also is welcoming to novices. Early on in the season the first few events do have a limitation with the amount of daylight available so that does force a strict schedule we have to try to stick to. Also, no one wants to be there the entire day but there are certain key folks who do just that. Most clubs are ran entirely by volunteers and we want to keep on attracting new interested to help build out a self supporting volunteer ecosystem.

I drive in one of the slowest classes available next to the snowflakes in SSC and adding a passenger can be between 5-10% additional weight but I don't mind for the first or second runs usually.

Ryan - 93 Economy Street
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121469 is a reply to message #121467] Mon, 12 February 2018 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruhop is currently offline  Bruhop   
Second Gear

These are good suggestions. I am not a fast driver, but I will always take a rider on my first run. Yesterday I gave a ride to one of the San Jose State students. He was a foreign exchange student. He had a blast. He wants to drive now.... It is a good way to get people interested.

2014 Camaro SS
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121476 is a reply to message #121469] Mon, 12 February 2018 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gregb is currently offline  gregb   United States
Second Gear

What an outstanding event!!! Many thanks to Youmna and Justin for their hard work organizing and running the event and to Charlie for a great course design. Very cool that the TV crew was there, does anyone know when the segment on autocross will air?

Greg
2014 Mustang GT
FS #7
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121477 is a reply to message #121476] Tue, 13 February 2018 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
racer X   
Top Time of Day

Just a couple of things - looking from the outside in:
1. If you are taking Auto-X so serious, you can't take a passenger on any run (1-4) - find another sport
2. Experienced / Fast Drivers - should be able to take a passenger on any run and still do well
3. I've been doing this for over 25 years and I still ask questions sometimes, as a Newbie Do Not Be Afraid To Ask Questions - We were all there once
4. Last, but not Least - This is a sport where you take Construction Cones and set up a Course in a Parking Lot - (A Parking Lot) - Think About It..

Just my humble opinion...

Doug Hubbard
Chapter Executive
Sacramento Chapter
# 195 BS '89 Corvette
Shriner's Children's Hospital of Sacramento
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121478 is a reply to message #121476] Tue, 13 February 2018 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   
Top PAX

gregb wrote on Mon, 12 February 2018 22:39
What an outstanding event!!! Many thanks to Youmna and Justin for their hard work organizing and running the event and to Charlie for a great course design. Very cool that the TV crew was there, does anyone know when the segment on autocross will air?

http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/program/652/3808 633-autocross-races/
http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/program/652/3808 644-autocross-races-pt-2/

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: SFR Round 1 - well done! [message #121480 is a reply to message #121477] Tue, 13 February 2018 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod   United States
Fourth Gear

racer X wrote on Tue, 13 February 2018 05:39
Just a couple of things - looking from the outside in:
1. If you are taking Auto-X so serious, you can't take a passenger on any run (1-4) - find another sport
2. Experienced / Fast Drivers - should be able to take a passenger on any run and still do well

Depends on the car your driving. A passenger in an ES car, or other cars with no power, can be worth about 1-2 seconds on a 60 sec course. I don't know anyone who can win or do well with that handicap.

Locals don't matter as much to veterans, but some local drivers do take them seriously. Some people are trying to improve before going to the national stage.

'15 STX #1/87
Previous Topic: SFR Round 1: Boondoggle
Next Topic: Looking for volunteers to join Instructor Pool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 14 03:53:17 PDT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01123 seconds