Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Off Topic » Any plumbers or general contractors in our group?
Any plumbers or general contractors in our group? [message #121457] Sun, 11 February 2018 20:17 Go to next message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Hi all, if there's an autocrosser that wants the job, I'd like them to have it.

I suspect the folks that built my largish house skimped on the insulation for our water pipes, if not forgetting it altogether. The main symptoms are hot-ish water from the cold tap in the Summer, and a huge new water heater at full-temp but only so-so hot-ish water for showers.

I imagine the job would be to bore holes for a scope, and/or remove outside siding etc, to verify, and if so, find a clever way to fix it. Spray-in expanding foam?
Thanks,
Joe
Re: Any plumbers or general contractors in our group? [message #121459 is a reply to message #121457] Sun, 11 February 2018 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Insulation only slows the rate of temperature change, so if the cold water isn't used for a few hours, it will absorb heat, unless you can somehow stop heat from getting to it altogether. I actually like warm water from the cold side to wash up and not have the gas water heater kick in. The hot water under-performance sounds like you have a blend system in which cold water is introduced into the hot lines to prevent scalding. That can be adjusted, I suppose. Just to be clear, I'm not a plumber, but I do occasionally play one on a popular auto-x enthusiast forum Very Happy

Jim
Re: Any plumbers or general contractors in our group? [message #121460 is a reply to message #121459] Mon, 12 February 2018 06:57 Go to previous message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

thanks!
Previous Topic: Bob and Margaret
Next Topic: NCSCC Sports Car Olympics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Feb 22 23:57:01 PST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00899 seconds