Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Data from your autocross runs
accelerometer precision with Solostorm [message #120843 is a reply to message #120839] Mon, 03 July 2017 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Update - still don't have specifics on how good the data is when using the tablet's accelerometers. But it definitely was able to tell the difference between car with OEM struts vs. car with rebuilt KW V3's and Whiteline camber plates. Approx peak lateral G values went from just under 1.2 G to just over 1.3 G! That's what some properly applied camber will do. (Tires are 255 width Nexen Sur 4 G.)

Anyone have data on R-comps on asphalt vs. concrete? I would guess that this latest batch of treadwear 200 "street" tires on top concrete like Crows or Atwater would approach what Hoosiers will do on moderately good asphalt.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Autocross Data [message #120844 is a reply to message #120823] Mon, 03 July 2017 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

bpstanaway wrote on Mon, 26 June 2017 18:26
The big thing I've seen personally is throwing someone faster than you into the car and comparing data, even if you can't find the time to look at it in between runs after the fact your mistakes can be painfully obvious. But even a few minutes in between runs can highlight areas that need the most attention, tighter there, faster there, slower there, third gear was a waste, etc. Probably the best part about blowing the money on solostorm is how easy it is to read that stuff.

I've got data showing me that I shortshifted into 2nd a few runs and it made me 10 mph slower entering an element compared to my co-driver and the competition, which has been mentioned above, but knowing how much it lost me I'm determined not to repeat the error. It's one thing to say 'oh yeah I was flat through there, you need to be too' and another to have solo storm tell you that's two tenths you gave up by lifting, or by going too deep into a corner and plowing around it. imo braking is my weakest attribute, lots of us not up near the top can probably benefit massively from studying the braking of the fast guys.

Which now that I type it out is probably why most don't shift to third even if it would be beneficial in the straight, the risk of blowing the braking zone with a botched heel toe vs. a clean left foot brake is too high sometimes. A mistake I made on Saturday too many times.

As far as braking, it's faster to brake a little too much and have room to get a great drive out of the corner than it is to overcook it, enter too hot, then have to wait while you plow (or spin, or cone) trying to get the car back in hand to make the exit. So yeah, with Solostorm pull up the G-circle and see if co-driver is pulling higher values. ABS is your friend! Nod

If you have a co-driver, as you and others have pointed out that's a way to get a lot of value out of Solostorm doing comparisons. Are you and co-driver both in the car during runs? Actually experiencing a run with someone else driving can be a really good way to see where more speed is. Having someone watch your runs is also of value. When SFR has 4 or more runs it's a lot easier to have a passenger for critique, or to take a ride-along in someone else's car even if it's not in the same class. When it's only 3 runs many won't want to have passengers especially if they're in it for the points. If you want, look me up some time for a ride-along if you think it would be of value. #35 white STI in STU.

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love

[Updated on: Mon, 03 July 2017 17:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Autocross Data [message #120858 is a reply to message #120844] Thu, 06 July 2017 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bpstanaway is currently offline  bpstanaway   
First Gear

Definitely agree on every count Paul! The trick to this sport is putting your toe on that line of too much and too little, it's just been hard for me to realize where I've not gone aggressive enough (the car definitely lets me know when I go too deep), I still find surprises watching the quick guys videos.

It's been a long time since I've sat with a co-driver on all the runs, maybe I should do that more, work on my observation skills instead of my standing around skills Wink

#39 STX FR-S
Occasional STX(H?) Mini
Re: SoloStorm vs timers, was Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120879 is a reply to message #120759] Wed, 12 July 2017 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

Next event's data:

date .... run ...Actual Estimated ...SoloS added
07/01/17 ...4 ...59.178 59.006 ....-0.172
............... 3 ...58.677 58.585 ....-0.092
............... 2 ...59.363 58.634 ....-0.729
............... 1 ...59.888 59.234 ....-0.654

......................... st deviation 0.3261148826
sorry for wonky formatting, this doesn't always paste in well....

So this time around, for all of the runs Solostorm estimated a shorter time than the timers showed, which is different than the other several days' worth of info. And the standard deviation was more than double the other events' deviations. The only things that I /know/ were different: Didn't do the recommended walk directly from Start to Finish points because I was short of time; and we had a huge wait while an on-course concern was resolved, and the sun had moved to where the tablet in the dash holder was heating up, and the unit overheated and shut down. For some weird reason this resulted in the date on the tablet to be reset to 2014 and therefore all the files were mis-dated. Though the playback of the runs seems to work just fine.

FWIW holding the tablet in front of the A/C vent with it on emergency freeze-out allowed my next run to work OK.

Math wise, if there was an error in the GPS from the course walk that should be a fixed error, but should not increase the standard deviation.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 18:49]

Re: SoloStorm vs timers, was Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120880 is a reply to message #120879] Wed, 12 July 2017 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

pault1 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 18:42
date .... run ...Actual Estimated ...SoloS added
07/01/17 ...4 ...59.178 59.006 ....-0.172
............... 3 ...58.677 58.585 ....-0.092
............... 2 ...59.363 58.634 ....-0.729
............... 1 ...59.888 59.234 ....-0.654
note: was unable to do Start & Finish GPS locations except at begin/end of course walk. Also had tablet overheat and reboot.

st deviation 0.3261148826
sorry for wonky formatting, this doesn't always paste in well....

So this time around, for all of the runs Solostorm estimated a shorter time than the timers showed, which is different than the other several days' worth of info. And the standard deviation was more than double the other events' deviations. The only things that I /know/ were different: Didn't do the recommended walk directly from Start to Finish points because I was short of time; and we had a huge wait while an on-course concern was resolved, and the sun had moved to where the tablet in the dash holder was heating up, and the unit overheated and shut down. For some weird reason this resulted in the date on the tablet to be reset to 2014 and therefore all the files were mis-dated. Though the playback of the runs seems to work just fine.

Math wise, if there was an error in the GPS from the course walk that should be a fixed error, but should not increase the standard deviation.

I learned long ago a white towel over the electronics kept them much cooler.

Jim
Re: SoloStorm vs timers, was Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120881 is a reply to message #120880] Wed, 12 July 2017 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

atcovan wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 18:47
I learned long ago a white towel over the electronics kept them much cooler.

Yup, that was a D'oh! moment. It was in the shade when I started (based on grid orientation) but delay on course was so long that it moved into cook mode....

[Updated on: Wed, 12 July 2017 18:52]

Data from your autocross runs [message #121108 is a reply to message #120881] Sat, 30 September 2017 12:49 Go to previous message
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

What I learned at Nationals, short version:
If you are, like STU, running on the 3rd and 4th days, there are many who have posted their videos of the courses you are going to run. That gives you at least a bit of a jump on seeing the courses at speed, which is a nice add to having walked the courses. Only sometimes do the fastest drivers post theirs, but there are often good examples. I didn't see any Solostorm specific files but the videos are good enough to learn something from.

Unfortunately you probably don't really have the time to compare any of those other videos with your own after your first or second runs. And that's even with the somewhat longer time between runs typical of National events. With Solostorm at least you can pop up your first and second runs prior to the third. Not that it saved me from failing to look ahead enough and slowing too early for that one turn, on all three runs.... But my initial goal was rather low, not to come in DFL, and in that I succeeded! Now to try to learn from the others' runs at my leisure.

Previous Topic: Pat Kelly Memorial Potluck and BBQ
Next Topic: Change of Venue! (Pat Kelly Memorial)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 00:55:41 PDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01126 seconds