Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Tech/Setup » New recommendations for Ford V8 rebuild
Re: New recommendations for Ford V8 rebuild [message #121030 is a reply to message #121029] Wed, 16 August 2017 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Dan Pellow wrote on Wed, 16 August 2017 12:41
You nailed it Jim. Oil starvation from inadequate clearance between the new oil pan and pickup. A dumb and expensive mistake on our part.

This is exactly what happened to a friend of mine. I purchased a road racing pan and pickup for my e-mod Opel GT with a Buick 3.8, but never got around to installing it. My friend then bought the package from me and installed it in his Trans Am. First day out, rod knock! The pickup they sent was for use of this pan with a 1/2" girdle. Therefore, the pickup sat too deep and sucked the bottom of the pan at high rpm. Needless to say, we were both pissed.

Jim
Re: New recommendations for Ford V8 rebuild [message #121032 is a reply to message #121030] Thu, 17 August 2017 22:57 Go to previous message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

I hear ya. I design machined parts to .0005" tolerance all day long and we make them in house, all day long. It pains me that the pickup had less that .06" clearance to the pan. I guess that is what we get when everything is made off-shore.

Dan Pellow
---------------
SFR Chief of Safety
SFR Chief of Trailer
Co-driver of James Creasy's 1965 FFR Cobra
OSP 174

Photo by Ric Quinonez
Previous Topic: In search of a good Megasquirt tuner
Next Topic: The list for "Where to get tire?"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 09:25:31 PST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00878 seconds