Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Data from your autocross runs
Data from your autocross runs [message #120671] Thu, 04 May 2017 19:21 Go to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   United States
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

OK, just coming up to speed with SoloStorm, but a little behind the curve here (puns intended), looking for comments:
What do you do with your data?
1) Look at it between runs

2) Look at it later

3) Share it with others later - if Y, where? What parts do you upload?

4) How has data helped you? Has sharing helped too?

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120675 is a reply to message #120671] Fri, 05 May 2017 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony_rod is currently offline  tony_rod
Third Gear

It's useful if you have something to compare against. If it's just you, you'll get less out of it.

I don't really pay attention to data, it doesn't do much for me. I am more of a visual/seat of the pants driver and video is far more useful to me.

Other people I have driven with have done various things with it. Between runs, later, share, etc... It has definitely helped them figure out where the time is, and now they can go take a run and identify problems. Without having to consult the data. For that, I think it is invaluable.

'03 MR2-S, #86 E Street

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2017 17:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120677 is a reply to message #120675] Sat, 06 May 2017 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
velandia is currently offline  velandia   United States
First Gear

I've used SoloStorm for a couple years now. Here are some observations:

> One useful activity is to look at video between runs - it helps me to recall what areas need to be improved, where the car over/understeered, etc.
> when you have two drivers there are pros and cons: pro: gather more data con: less time to look at data between runs, and need to determine whose data to look at in between alternating driver runs.
> There's a big advantage in gathering data on ProSolo events: you have all evening to look at day1 run comparisons, and especially useful when you have a co-driver. This can help you identify where you can gain time (fast section times across all the runs) so you are able to better execute on the following day.
> I think data usefulness depends on just how much analysis you're willing to put in. (means that between runs, there may not be enough time to really get anything useful - esp at local events). There's plenty of time to analyze after the event - which may help you to identify overall areas for improvement for the next event.
> one of my goals is to always stay on the edge of the traction circle, data tells me the extent to which I'm able to accomplish that goal.
> One eye-opener was time gained by minimizing distance - if you're able to take two runs comparing distance traveled (can be done with the "sections" widget) you'll find the amount of time that can be saved by driving the tighter line
> I've not uploaded data or compared with anyone other than my co-driver, I think it would be useful to share that data - but don't know exactly how/where to do this.

Big caveat: autox is still about the ability to focus and execute a run which in my mind is the art of driving the smoothest, fastest arc at the edge of the traction circle without hitting our orange friends. So you gotta be careful that you dont let the analytical side of your brain take over during the run, take you "out of the moment" and screw everything up! Very Happy

Live and Love

Maurice Velandia
93 MR2 Turbo Hardtop CS
95 MR2 GenIII hardtop SSM

Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120679 is a reply to message #120677] Sun, 07 May 2017 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

velandia wrote on Sat, 06 May 2017 23:20
I've used SoloStorm for a couple years now. Here are some observations:

> One useful activity is to look at video between runs - it helps me to recall what areas need to be improved, where the car over/understeered, etc.
> when you have two drivers there are pros and cons: pro: gather more data con: less time to look at data between runs, and need to determine whose data to look at in between alternating driver runs.
> There's a big advantage in gathering data on ProSolo events: you have all evening to look at day1 run comparisons, and especially useful when you have a co-driver. This can help you identify where you can gain time (fast section times across all the runs) so you are able to better execute on the following day.
> I think data usefulness depends on just how much analysis you're willing to put in. (means that between runs, there may not be enough time to really get anything useful - esp at local events). There's plenty of time to analyze after the event - which may help you to identify overall areas for improvement for the next event.
> one of my goals is to always stay on the edge of the traction circle, data tells me the extent to which I'm able to accomplish that goal.
> One eye-opener was time gained by minimizing distance - if you're able to take two runs comparing distance traveled (can be done with the "sections" widget) you'll find the amount of time that can be saved by driving the tighter line
> I've not uploaded data or compared with anyone other than my co-driver, I think it would be useful to share that data - but don't know exactly how/where to do this.

Thanks! great comments. Yeah, I found a run where the section split showed I did higher average speed but actually slower on time, and the "feet traveled" showed how much shorter in distance the better path had been. Eye opener indeed. And since my car is better on acceleration traction but poorer in cornering g's vs. immediate competition of nicely tuned BMW's, I have to learn to use that more.
Quote:
Big caveat: autox is still about the ability to focus and execute a run which in my mind is the art of driving the smoothest, fastest arc at the edge of the traction circle without hitting our orange friends. So you gotta be careful that you dont let the analytical side of your brain take over during the run, take you "out of the moment" and screw everything up! Very Happy

Except when the non-analytical side of the brain is running the RED MIST subroutine, and no amount of analytical can save you then! Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Paul T. Ford body, Yamaha power - describes my car pretty well, too! Smile Returned to racing the STi-STU but still that #35 you love
Re: Data from your autocross runs [message #120680 is a reply to message #120675] Sun, 07 May 2017 21:56 Go to previous message
pault1 is currently offline  pault1   
Top PAX
CONTRIBUTOR

tony_rod wrote on Fri, 05 May 2017 17:06
It's useful if you have something to compare against. If it's just you, you'll get less out of it.

I don't really pay attention to data, it doesn't do much for me. I am more of a visual/seat of the pants driver and video is far more useful to me.

Other people I have driven with have done various things with it. Between runs, later, share, etc... It has definitely helped them figure out where the time is, and now they can go take a run and identify problems. Without having to consult the data. For that, I think it is invaluable.

Appreciate your feedback, thanks. I have been seat of the pants but coming back from a years long hiatus found the pants are a little, uh, numb, and the traction circle view is visual enough to immediately help there. Looking to get further with the section splits feature, and it ties the small video in so that you can see at least the path you took. If you play the full video though you can hear the cones thwack / driver cursing, entertaining but not that helpful. "Oh, that's the one that knocked the splitter loose!" Frown

Previous Topic: National 2013 - transporter! Who's in?!
Next Topic: New SFR website
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 24 08:29:15 PDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00948 seconds