Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » Starting Line Event (Worth it?)
Starting Line Event [message #116360] Wed, 22 July 2015 12:00 Go to next message
DSP_Buckle is currently offline  DSP_Buckle   United States
Sixth Gear

Hello folks,

considering what is offered by registration and what they cover it comes out to about $140 to attend since I would pay to the other items anyway,

so is it worth while? This was my first season doing each event and wouldn't mind the extra individual instruction if anyone who has ever done it thinks it's a good idea. It would have to be a little extra than the verbal tips I already get at autoX events to make it worth while to me, because I can get those for "free" already lol. Any thoughts?

Referenced event link: http://www.sccastartingline.com/

- Hugo Diaz

Hugo Diaz
/\ Delta Sigma Phi:Zeta Omicron Chapter /\
:BS #906- '17 Impreza WRX STi
:BS #906 - '08 Impreza WRX STi Wagon (retired)
:STX #906 - '04 Impreza WRX Wagon (retired)
:SM #510 - '00 Impreza RS turbocharged (retired) "SR 25 RS"

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2015 16:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Starting Line Event [message #116362 is a reply to message #116360] Wed, 22 July 2015 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

golly, for 'nother c-note, i can have a full face helmet. kewl.

Jim
Re: Starting Line Event [message #116377 is a reply to message #116362] Thu, 23 July 2015 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill C is currently offline  Bill C   United States
First Gear

Considering that you're in your first year of AX I would think some individual instruction would be well worth it. I was considering taking it also, but what is that old saying about old dogs and new tricks?? Grin
Re: Starting Line Event [message #116381 is a reply to message #116377] Thu, 23 July 2015 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Hi Hugo. There are some awesome drivers in SFR who can help you gain a lot of knowledge. In my early days, simply riding as passenger taught me so much, especially about "quiet hands" and smooth inputs. It's true, slowing down and being more precise can make you faster. Two of my friends had totally different techniques... one was smooth and deliberate, the other charged hard into braking zones. I learned to combine the two, trust my brakes and as time passed, usually beat them both!

PS Be patient. It takes a while to become as one with your steed. If you're still making improvements to said racer, you will need to adjust yourself, as well. One important thing is to resist driving everyone else's car doing fun runs. You need seat time in YOUR car. The best drivers don't bounce around.

Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2015 19:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Starting Line Event [message #116461 is a reply to message #116381] Sat, 01 August 2015 17:27 Go to previous message
6MTGirl is currently offline  6MTGirl   
First Gear

Hi Hugo,

Sorry for the late reply, I am just seeing your post. I will be one of the instructors at the SL school and for the value that you get out of it, I could not recommend it enough. Basically, you will spend the morning working on separate elements and focusing more on mechanics and proper car placement and inputs. In the afternoon we link it all together into a full course and throw extra challenges at you with tons of timed runs! We'll also be there on Sunday to ride along, walk the course with you and keep working on putting the skills you learned at the school to practice. Smile

My personal story is that I wouldn't be here now autocrossing and let alone teaching if it wasn't for one of these schools. At the end of my first season I found myself not getting any faster, I could never get out of the bottom 15 in PAX and I was beginning to think auto-x wasn't for me. I wanted to give auto-x one last shot, so I signed up for a school which was being held by my local region. It changed my life. You'll find autocrossers who are national champions taking Evo Schools and looking for input and new ways to improve their driving and broaden their skillset. The great thing about this sport is that you never stop learning. So my advice is to attend any school within your reach, whether it's Starting Line or Evo or just a novice school put on by your region/club. I've been teaching for Starting Line all over the US and we're very fortunate to have SFR host one of these schools, at one of the greatest auto-x sites in the country IMO! Let me know if you have any questions and hope to see you at the event!

Teddie
Street Touring something-or-other. Usually sideways.
Previous Topic: Corvette Club Auto-X - Aug.1-2
Next Topic: SFR Round 11 - Setup Thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 07 22:48:25 PDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01052 seconds