Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County
New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County [message #113182] Fri, 16 January 2015 11:22 Go to next message
tomfree is currently offline  tomfree
Second Gear

Hello all!

My wife and I just moved to the area from Maryland and bought a house in Novato. I'm looking to plug in to the scene in the Bay Area and meet some like-minded folks. A little about me:

- Born and raised in NC, moved to Maryland in 2004. Just arrived in CA the first week of January
- Professionally, I'm a Systems Engineer / Solutions Architect / Project Manager...so a glorified IT guy. I'm still working for my company on the east coast through the end of January, but I'll have to get a job in this area in February.
- I did my first Auto-x in 1998 in Danville VA and auto-x'd regularly through 2004
- Ran my first HPDE in 2002. I've done somewhere around 25 HPDEs over the last 12 years, as far north as New Jersey Motorsports Park and as far south as Palm Beach Intl. Raceway in FL. My home track is Virginia Intl Raceway.
- Ran my first LeMons/Chump event in 2008. I've done 6 or 7 races between those two organizations
- I've driven a lot of different cars in anger, mostly low HP.
- I've owned American, Japanese, and European cars, but I have a weak spot for BMWs.
- I've owned 7 BMWs since 1999
***1976 2002 (Rusty piece of junk, way more work than I could handle)
***2000 323i touring (best car I've ever owned)
***1986 325e (first LeMons car, won a race at CMP in 2009)
***1982 528e (LeMons wannabe, stripped it and sold it before we built it)
***1987 325is (DE car, essentially street legal Spec E30)
***1993 325i (built for NASA Spec3, but sold it for the move to CA)
***1998 M3 sedan (cosmetically and mechanically outstanding, sold it before the move to CA because it was worth decent $)
- Other notable cars over the years
***1991 Miata (reliable, great handling, slow)
***1989 944 S2 (beautiful money pit)
***2004 RX8 (great chassis in search of a great engine)
***1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX (big turbo, AWD, quick, not exactly reliable)

As soon as I get a job on this coast, I'll start the search for a fun car and leave the DD duty to my Explorer. I'm leaning towards another e36 M3, as I'm partial to them.

I haven't auto-x'd in years, but hopefully I can get out to some events when I have the new car in hand. Being 30 min from Sonoma/Infineon should make it easy to get to the track for a few weekends as well.

Thanks!
Tom Freeman
'07 Explorer limited (My DD and sometimes tow rig) | 2012 TSX Sport Wagon (wife's DD) | Something fun here in '15
Re: New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County [message #113183 is a reply to message #113182] Fri, 16 January 2015 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carphoria is currently offline  carphoria   United States
First Gear

Welcome to the Bay. I live a few exits south of you in Greenbrae, so feel free to shoot me a line.

I would encourage you to check out three things:

1- 51-50 foundation, on Ford road in Novato. Fun group of car people that basically just hang out.
2- Cars & Coffee Novato. First Sunday of every month, 8am-10am at the Vintage Oaks shopping center, in front of the starbucks/Ross.
3- GGLC (Golden Gate Lotus Club). Regardless of if you own a lotus, this is a wonderful group, with multiple events a month. Track days, AutoXs, etc.

About me (car wise)
'02 - R53 Mini (DD)
'08 - Outback XT (wife's DD)
Brunton Super Stalker - Smile (and sadly for sale due to us moving, if you are looking for a CA street legal toy, the stalker could be for you).

-JM

Brunton Stalker SS
2002 MCS - DD
Re: New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County [message #113184 is a reply to message #113182] Fri, 16 January 2015 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chilema is currently offline  chilema   United States
Fourth Gear

Welcome to the Bay, Tom!

Seeing as you're in the hunt for a car, may I interest you in my Civic? Wink

http:// www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=11741&start =0&rid=0

Howard Yang
ESP #89 - 2013 Ford Mustang GT (traded in for twin turbo soccer dad SUV Razz)
STU # 89 - 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (sold)
GS # 89 - 2016 Focus ST
Re: New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County [message #113186 is a reply to message #113184] Fri, 16 January 2015 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomfree is currently offline  tomfree
Second Gear

Thanks for the kind messages. If I had room for a track car AND an auto-x car at the new case, I'd very strongly look at that Civic. I drove an ST Civic SI that belonged to a friend back in NC several years ago, and it was a blast. Such a fun car on an auto-x course.
Unfortunately, in today's horsepower wars in HPDE, even an e36 M3 is a comparatively underpowered car. It doesn't hurt that I have a set of 17x8.5 Kosei K1s in storage that fit the e36. I have a couple of other e36 pieces and parts left over from selling 2 of them just before I left MD.

Part of me wants a C5 Z06, but I don't want to pay the price of entry for one that is stock, then add seats, a bar, harnesses...and try to keep brakes and tires on the car as well. I like the price of entry of a 4.6l S197 Mustang, but the brakes and tires concern is the same as it is for the C5.

Like many of you guys, I'm fickle with my car choices too. Very Happy

Thanks for the group suggestions! Finding people that suffer the same affliction as I do is always a priority.

Tom F.
'07 Explorer DD | '97 M3
Re: New to the area in Novato / Northern Marin County [message #113188 is a reply to message #113186] Sat, 17 January 2015 10:44 Go to previous message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

I guess you have found the right place then. Welcome Smile

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club
Previous Topic: New guy from Moraga
Next Topic: Hi from Santa Cruz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 07:16:21 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00838 seconds