Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » What a great day at round
Re: What a great day at round [message #108669 is a reply to message #108662] Mon, 14 April 2014 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fmlykkr is currently offline  Fmlykkr   United States
First Gear

Thanks to everyone that helped organize this today especially the registration guys! Fun course and I can't wait till the next event.

Evo 9 MR
Re: What a great day at round [message #108670 is a reply to message #108662] Mon, 14 April 2014 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

The chairs did a great job today. When events run long, people start to get cranky, and you just took it in stride.

The course I thought was awesome. I don't recall ever walking a course thinking, this is exactly the course that I would have laid out today. Well, for at least 1 driver today, the course was perfect. GREAT job Josh.

Fun runs, I normally wouldn't even comment on it, but today seems special, so what the heck, I'm feeling kinda Mike Woody today ; )

http://lubrify.com/autox/funruns.jpg

Historically (going back several years), and so far this year, fun runs has not been an issue. It never has, but its fodder for people the enjoy complaining about stuff. The difference between the fun runners in rg1 vs rg6 was statistically significant.

Today it was a problem. Does that mean that we need to go and change a policy because of a sample size of 1 event? I don't know.

We are at the point now though, where having 8 run groups might make sense again. We will discuss that this week. If we move to 4/4, then it diminishes what I am going to say next slightly.

As for down time, the computers were great. There were not too many re-runs, but there still was down time, A LOT of it. There was probably 1 entire hour of just sitting there, doing nothing. And this is an hour that we can EASILY take back. This is the time that is between run groups when doing a drivers change. We spend a solid 20 minutes of not running a car between run groups. We have 2 changes in the AM and 2 in the PM. That is typically an hour and 20 minutes of time that we can... No, that we will get back. Even with run groups like 3-3, it can be done. I happened to be in the trailer today between rg5-6 and we did an on-the-fly change, and it worked out. Everyone working just needs to stick around till they are relieved. This may mean that you are working an "extra 10 minutes" but so will everyone else. As we rotate work shifts through the season, it all even out, and no one works more than anyone else. We recapture our down time, and we get back an hour at every event. The on-the fly change over between 5-6 today was flawless. And it wasn't even planned for. I had been planning on implementing this at the next event anyhow, (I am the chair for that event). So this was just really good timing I guess.

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports
Re: What a great day at round [message #108672 is a reply to message #108670] Mon, 14 April 2014 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben_B is currently offline  Ben_B   United States
Third Gear

benny_ng wrote on Mon, 14 April 2014 00:26

We are at the point now though, where having 8 run groups might make sense again. We will discuss that this week. If we move to 4/4, then it diminishes what I am going to say next slightly.

As for down time, the computers were great. There were not too many re-runs, but there still was down time, A LOT of it. There was probably 1 entire hour of just sitting there, doing nothing. And this is an hour that we can EASILY take back. This is the time that is between run groups when doing a drivers change. We spend a solid 20 minutes of not running a car between run groups. We have 2 changes in the AM and 2 in the PM. That is typically an hour and 20 minutes of time that we can... No, that we will get back. Even with run groups like 3-3, it can be done. I happened to be in the trailer today between rg5-6 and we did an on-the-fly change, and it worked out. Everyone working just needs to stick around till they are relieved. This may mean that you are working an "extra 10 minutes" but so will everyone else. As we rotate work shifts through the season, it all even out, and no one works more than anyone else. We recapture our down time, and we get back an hour at every event. The on-the fly change over between 5-6 today was flawless. And it wasn't even planned for. I had been planning on implementing this at the next event anyhow, (I am the chair for that event). So this was just really good timing I guess.

segfault wrote on Sun, 13 April 2014 21:16
Good event with a huge turnout. I think it's the record for most runs in one day. I only had one problem. Someone, who shall remain nameless, found it appropriate to curse me out for his mistake. If that happens again, don't bother showing up at SFR again as you'll be banned for as long as I'm in charge.

For run group sizes, we might be going to a 4v4 format to make on-the-fly changes better. Fun runs in 1 and 2 will also be examined as well as the amount of temp memberships per a group.

4/4 could be pretty awesome. Less time spent working, less time spent waiting on grid between runs, and a faster and smoother running event from easy on the fly changes.

1995 Miata. Torsen, Koni yellow, FCM bumps, FM front sway. Dunlop ZII. ES.
Re: What a great day at round [message #108674 is a reply to message #108672] Mon, 14 April 2014 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
walk   United States
Top Time of Day

I hate to say but it may be time again to say members only, no weekend members, or limit weekend members to 10 or 15.

Anyway fun day, but very long. and the accident kind of bummed me out, hope everyone is okay..

Jeff W.
1994 Miata #94 E/Street
Re: What a great day at round [message #108677 is a reply to message #108674] Mon, 14 April 2014 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

A great, albeit long day. The weather was awesome, the course was a lot of fun. Thanks Josh. Thanks to Dennis and Phil for chairing. Thanks to the outstanding clean up crew. You all all did a great job packing the trailer.

I agree with Benny. I am not sure we should make policy changes just because of one weekend. I think the on the fly changes are a good idea. We used to do it all the time, many years ago. You stayed until your relief showed up. In some groups, the relief would show up before the group change, some after. All part of the rotation, so it all worked out.

I like 4/4. The only possible drawback I can see for 4/4 is filling the safety steward and tech positions for 8 slots, actually 9 slots counting early morning. There might be other needs too that I am not thinking of at this early hour. We will need to have a stronger core of volunteers that step up more often. We have quite a few people with SSS licenses but only about 4 or 5 step up regularly. I'm sure Mark has the same issues with tech. 4/4 makes it a lot easier for worker change on the fly. There is always one group between work and run that way, so never a wait for people to "park" their car after running.

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Mon, 14 April 2014 10:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What a great day at round [message #108680 is a reply to message #108677] Mon, 14 April 2014 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
udontknowjack is currently offline  udontknowjack   United States
Fourth Gear
CONTRIBUTOR

Love the course thanks everyone for making it happened.

75 CS 2014 ==> STR 2015 ==> (SSM? 2016) Mazda (not miata) MX5 club

Philip
Re: What a great day at round [message #108682 is a reply to message #108680] Mon, 14 April 2014 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philiow313 is currently offline  philiow313   United States
Fourth Gear

Dennis doesnt post here much (if at all) so I think I will speak for the both of us when I say THANK YOU to everyone who helped today. I cant even begin to name off everyone as I'd hate to miss someone. With such a massive turnout, there were alot of key players, some even volunteering to work multiple positions in different groups, and even all you 'little guys' doing your normal work assignments that helped make the day run as well as it did.
I agree that worker change overs on the fly will make a huge improvement. While Dennis and I did not focus on that, seeing Benny step up and organize that change over from RG5 to RG6 was impressive. Something I feel should be stressed (and honestly I think probably will not happen for alot of people) is the push to park your car after run groups and come check in. I did become a bit frustrated with calling for workers and seemingly no one showing up for long periods when the run groups were emptying. I can say I have been guilty of this but having now been a chair thats going to change for me.
This morning I'm really still exhausted but I cannot say enough about how much enjoyment chairing was. It IS ALOT OF WORK. The new found respect I have for other volunteers such as chairs, reg, and tech people (among others) makes me wish more people stepped up to relieve these core positions. Dan for instance drives the van and trailer, covering his work assignment, and still I saw him multiple times helping where it was needed.

I loved doing this job and would do it again... just maybe not for a while. Im pooped. haha.

Can I add I won my class on top of all that, in RG6, after that long day? What euphoria that was haha.

-Phil-
FSP #2 - look for the truck
Re: What a great day at round [message #108685 is a reply to message #108682] Mon, 14 April 2014 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4D-Sport is currently offline  4D-Sport   
Top PAX
Forum Sponsor

philiow313 wrote on Mon, 14 April 2014 07:18
Dennis doesnt post here much (if at all) so I think I will speak for the both of us when I say THANK YOU to everyone who helped today. I cant even begin to name off everyone as I'd hate to miss someone. With such a massive turnout, there were alot of key players, some even volunteering to work multiple positions in different groups, and even all you 'little guys' doing your normal work assignments that helped make the day run as well as it did.
I agree that worker change overs on the fly will make a huge improvement. While Dennis and I did not focus on that, seeing Benny step up and organize that change over from RG5 to RG6 was impressive. Something I feel should be stressed (and honestly I think probably will not happen for alot of people) is the push to park your car after run groups and come check in. I did become a bit frustrated with calling for workers and seemingly no one showing up for long periods when the run groups were emptying. I can say I have been guilty of this but having now been a chair thats going to change for me.
This morning I'm really still exhausted but I cannot say enough about how much enjoyment chairing was. It IS ALOT OF WORK. The new found respect I have for other volunteers such as chairs, reg, and tech people (among others) makes me wish more people stepped up to relieve these core positions. Dan for instance drives the van and trailer, covering his work assignment, and still I saw him multiple times helping where it was needed.

I loved doing this job and would do it again... just maybe not for a while. Im pooped. haha.

Can I add I won my class on top of all that, in RG6, after that long day? What euphoria that was haha.

Great event day!!! I'm pooped, just reading all the posts. Laughing Congratulations to both chairs for winning their classes (although it cost Dennis a dinner for his car owner). Very Happy

2014 Round 5 should forever remind me how blessed I am to know such a great group of enthusiasts, new and old. Seeing faces from the late '90s for the first time in years, priceless!!!

Thanks,

Barry "I Am Second (2014 Championship Round 5)" Chafin

Re: What a great day at round [message #108690 is a reply to message #108685] Mon, 14 April 2014 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1paxed_up_TT is currently offline  1paxed_up_TT   
Top PAX

Benny, I agree the on the fly changed worked out really well! We should do more of that, but make everyone aware on driver's meeting. I was there waiting for shift change at most after 5 cars had started and I stayed till everyone on the shift showed up. It's not a big deal.

I was bummed we didn't have the food truck, but had a great day overall. It was a really great fun fast course, finishing sideways was my fastest run Smile

Eugene

#10 T2 FSP Silver '87 Mazda 323 - 2200lb/85hp
#10 BSP Gray '01 Audi TTR - 3300lb/270hp
#510 T2 DSP Silver '96 Audi A4Q - 3200lb/180hp

[Updated on: Mon, 14 April 2014 09:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What a great day at round [message #108692 is a reply to message #108690] Mon, 14 April 2014 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
OldandSlow is currently offline  OldandSlow   United States
Third Gear

After reading through the posts and thinking them over, I suggest the following:
1 - Change over on the fly
2 - Limit fun runs to run groups 4 thru 6
3 - Keep the 6 run group format - an 8 run group format with lower turnouts may not provide an adequate number of workers
4 - Be prepared to limit the number of runs to 3 if the first two run groups are significantly delayed
Previous Topic: TMR Autocross June 28th- event #15
Next Topic: Changes effective starting rnd 9!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 09:46:14 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01207 seconds