Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Round 4
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108194 is a reply to message #108192] Sat, 22 March 2014 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
segfault is currently offline  segfault   
Top Time of Day

Scorer just makes sure that the right car finishes, hits the reset-the-finish switch, and queues people if the car queuer missed someone. Cone counter already has its own interface controlled by someone else. Those shitty axware style days are gone.

--Isaac
SFR Chief of Timing and Computer Magic
SM 71
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108195 is a reply to message #108194] Sat, 22 March 2014 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

cool. That means the cone counter has to have their reading glasses then, right?
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108197 is a reply to message #108195] Sun, 23 March 2014 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

I think John K made a point about lines being inboard about a year ago. I thought it had passed. It wouldn't surprise me if that never made it to the supps.

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108198 is a reply to message #108197] Sun, 23 March 2014 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Ok Then. Can we put this issue to rest and have the SC make a formal announcement as to their preference/ruling? Thumb Up

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108291 is a reply to message #108198] Mon, 31 March 2014 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benny_ng is currently offline  benny_ng   United States
Top Time of Day
FORUM SPONSOR

Just FWIW...

I just read the rules for the Pro and the Tour...

It states specifically: "If lining is used, the lines must be on the outside of cones."

Benny
http://Lubrify.com | Racing Fluids - motul, eneos, AMSOIL, RedLine, swepco Total & Torco Fuels

Craftwerx Concepts, Genitrix Motorsports, Radix Motorsports
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108299 is a reply to message #108291] Mon, 31 March 2014 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Kelly Jr. is currently offline  John Kelly Jr.   United States
First Gear

My humble thoughts on course lining: Lining a course outside of the pylon means everybody must walk the course to assure nobody gets lost at the event. As an organizer it has always been my goal to assure nobody gets lost, especially first timers. This helps guarantee first timers have a good time at their first event and returns for the next one. It's good business. Our friends on the eastern seaboard generally write the rules and come at this problem from their "gymkhana" point of view. Our western courses tend to be quicker. There's no right or wrong in the situation.
--John Kelly

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108304 is a reply to message #108299] Mon, 31 March 2014 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
red5racing is currently offline  red5racing   United States
Sixth Gear

Maybe it's just me, but my eyes just don't see the white chalk when I'm driving - after a run I couldn't tell if there was chalk or not. AAS's idea of using bright green cones - "just aim for the next green cone" or UFO's tunnel-of-cones seem like better ways to acheve the same goal of a rookie never getting lost.
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108309 is a reply to message #108304] Mon, 31 March 2014 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Tunnel of cones is fine, except 1) too many to hit and course workers get annoyed 2) no one likes a goat trail.
PS goat trail unavoidable if the surface turns to sand and gravel and makes one "line." Smile

Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 31 March 2014 15:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108313 is a reply to message #108309] Mon, 31 March 2014 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie Davis is currently offline  Charlie Davis   United States
Top Time of Day

Here's my own personal reasoning for lining on the outside. If you line on the inside, the line will be 1/2 the width of the liner to the inside of the cones, unless you set up all the cones and have 3 workers line the course (one to knock them out of the way so the line can go right next to the base of the cones, the liner, and one to put them back when the liner has gone by. This is just not going to happen at most events. So, on the outside at corner entry, somewhere around the apex and again on the outside at the exit the lines will be gone very early in the day as we drive over them. Lines between elements will be gone as we swing wide to get entry into the next corner. Lines on the outside of the cones will stay intact for the whole day. Lines on the outside between elements can arc out so they are more intact as well.

Visibility had better not be an issue. Anyone who can see them on the inside, but can't see them two or three feet farther away is too blind to autocross.

"Lines on the edge of the road and rocks on the shoulder" is some reference to something that has nothing to do with what we are doing...

Charlie
Old Age and Treachery
will overcome Youthful
Exuberance and Skill!

STX BMW 325is
(my growling mistress)
2DR2WD Barn Door Tahoe
Why? Because Modcar!
(C/M Reynard 85F)
Former Rat pilot
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108316 is a reply to message #108313] Mon, 31 March 2014 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mwood   United States
Top Time of Day

I'm not really too concerned with what SFR does, or doesn't, do re: lines. But, it seems to make sense, if we want to have a region that can compete at National level events, that we simply follow the same rules as National level events, when reasonable (i.e. no, we can't do audit sheets, impound etc) Wink

Previous Topic: Skid Pad Testing at Thunderhill
Next Topic: SFR Round 5 Preregistration Is Up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Nov 11 16:59:53 PST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01623 seconds