Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Round 4
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108181 is a reply to message #108180] Sat, 22 March 2014 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pat Kelly is currently offline  Pat Kelly   United States
Top Time of Day

Initially, SFR started with lines on the inside. That was the way all northern California did it. The first national courses were more like gymkhanas with no lines, just gates. National finally picked up on lining courses, and never went back to the gymkhana idea. Good thing the lines (anywhere) evolved or we'd all be playing a different game! It was a sort of East vs West meeting of the minds. I could bore you with the whole story. Smile
--Pat K
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108182 is a reply to message #108181] Sat, 22 March 2014 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Pat, I'm certain your stories wouldn't bore at all. I, for one, always liked the cones outside, but right on the lines. It's cool to kick up a little white dust and not disturb the cone.

Jim
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108183 is a reply to message #108182] Sat, 22 March 2014 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justint5387 is currently offline  justint5387   United States
Top Time of Day

Lines should be outside the cones, I don't see how the lines being inside is beneficial for novice at all...

FSP #88 Mazda3
STX #88 v1 MS3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ
STU #88 370Z

Sandbagger #2
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108184 is a reply to message #108179] Sat, 22 March 2014 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

Benny,

SFR Supp's rule # 20. Both sides of the course will be lined with gypsum or an appropriate substance when allowed by the weather and property owners. Slaloms may be lined or unlined.

It doesn't state whether inside or outside.

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Sat, 22 March 2014 16:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108185 is a reply to message #108184] Sat, 22 March 2014 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Kelly Jr. is currently offline  John Kelly Jr.   United States
First Gear

Historically we lined the course inboard of the pylons. The white line designated the edge of the road and the pylons were the "rocks."
Over the years I think this method has produced more National champions for SF Region than the other way, especially when the line wanders off with a mind of its own. Last year SF scored ONLY two National Solo titles. I think SFR wins more by having more folks campaigning.
When Pat and I started the SCCA Solo program our goal was to have our team win more National titles than any other SCCA region. So far, SFR holds the record of the most wins. Last year SFR won ONLY two (2) National titles.
--John Kelly
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108187 is a reply to message #108185] Sat, 22 March 2014 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brmxr4ti is currently offline  brmxr4ti   United States
Top Time of Day

There are many reason we (The SFR) are lacking National Champions, one of those being economics, the other is every other Region in my point of view has step it up, just looked up the last couple of years National results people are winning from all over these United States. The SFR has it's problems but the way the courses are lined is not one of them.

I liked what you said though John about the SFR having a goal of winning more National titles then any other SCCA region but I fear those hyper competitive days maybe gone. FMPOV

Ben

DSPXR4ti 2009 DSP National Champion

[Updated on: Sat, 22 March 2014 10:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108188 is a reply to message #108184] Sat, 22 March 2014 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pat Kelly is currently offline  Pat Kelly   United States
Top Time of Day

I haven't read the Supps in years! Wink Yes, there is a way to line slaloms, but laziness and a lack of time (and maybe a lack on cones) have stopped that! Smile Glad #20 is still there. Wonder if
Benny is the first person to read them?
Obviously no one else has. But then, who would enforce the Supps if they don't know what's there? Who really cares? Most just do what the previous course designer did, I suspect. The whole point of having lined courses is so no one will get lost. Inside/outside markings are better than no lines at all. What we don't need is clueless drivers lost and trying to find the course. This can happen even today when coming out of a clearly marked sweeper into a distant unmarked slalom What we don't need is a lost driver skipping part of the course, trying to find it! Seen that happen several times this year. Not exactly safe.
--Pat
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108189 is a reply to message #108188] Sat, 22 March 2014 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btwyx
Fourth Gear

I think the headset for the cone counter would be a very good idea. I'd never done cone counter before, as I'd never had an opportunity to learn. But when there was no one else to do it I jumped in. The ambient noise was a problem. Cars starting in my right ear and commentary in my left. A headset would have helped a lot. My hearing, like the rest of me, is getting on in years and not as good as it used to be.

And I'd also welcome an opportunity to learn all these tasks, when there's not also the pressure of an event happening around you. I know you had the one Saturday of training, but we had clashing commitments.

Barry

#94/194
SS 15 Cayman S or
HS 13 MINI Cooper "IPOD MNI".
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108191 is a reply to message #108189] Sat, 22 March 2014 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

I've done cone counter a lot. A headset would be cool, just as it would also be for course workers, because it is often hard to hear the radio when some loud under-exhausted car is blasting by.
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108192 is a reply to message #108191] Sat, 22 March 2014 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Joe Weinstein is currently offline  Joe Weinstein   
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

And I've never done scoring... All I know is that I relay cone counts to him/her and ensure I get confirmation. What else does the scorer do? Would it be better for the come counter to have an app that lets him directly add cone counts to the score?
Previous Topic: Skid Pad Testing at Thunderhill
Next Topic: SFR Round 5 Preregistration Is Up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 09:43:45 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01216 seconds