Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » Northern California Events » SCCA Round 4
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108063 is a reply to message #108061] Mon, 17 March 2014 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

mr.parker wrote on Mon, 17 March 2014 11:31
It was great to be back out there. Awesome course and as usual the people are what make the event. I am not sure of the name, but the guy with the blue fit, thank you for helping out when I blew up my car. My dad and I talked a lot about how this is a sport full of quality people and yesterday solidified that. Thank you for the quality course and we will see you in round 5!

-JB

That would be one of the co-chairs for this event (and many other events), Tyler, http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.php?t=usrinfo&id=2242 &rid=258

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2014 12:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108070 is a reply to message #108063] Mon, 17 March 2014 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben_B is currently offline  Ben_B   United States
Third Gear

Really fun course! At first I had trouble with the lines through that left after the slalom and then the showcase...but when I just looked ahead like you're supposed to the car felt like it found the right line on its own. Really fun and very rewarding. Also how about that C2 stingray spin/recovery in RG 5?! Was working out there and it was awesome. He hit a cone in the slalom, went on the wrong side of the next one, but spun out, hit the cone he had missed (so in bounds, before reaching the next element, no DNF), but then recovered in a huge cloud of tire smoke. The front of his car pushed the cone BACK INTO THE BOX, and he kept driving along. Awesome stuff.

Weird about the successive red flags in that group. Our station (5) had a couple of red flags for safety after cars spun out in the finish, but then it seemed like after the danger had cleared all the earlier stations kept red flagging subsequent cars. No idea what was going on there. It kept backing up the entire run group. I think maybe the next drivers meeting it may be prudent to review red flag protocol (for both workers and drivers) in a bit more detail for everyone. It wasn't a problem that we had a lot of them that day, just that they (in multiple run groups) kept clogging things up for so long because stations would keep red flagging after the danger had passed or when it was well out of their sector, and often times drivers would not get moving fast enough again after the flags.

1995 Miata. Torsen, Koni yellow, FCM bumps, FM front sway. Dunlop ZII. ES.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2014 20:43]

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108142 is a reply to message #108038] Thu, 20 March 2014 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4D-Sport is currently offline  4D-Sport   
Top PAX
Forum Sponsor

Thanks to the chairs and everyone else who went the extra mile to put on a quality event. Also, apologies to the course workers who had to rebuild two successive elements, when, on my first run, I left my brain in the paddock (yes, despite popular opinion, I normally have it with me, for what it's worth). Razz

Barry

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108144 is a reply to message #108142] Thu, 20 March 2014 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
segfault is currently offline  segfault   
Top Time of Day

Barry, I stand by my statement. You looked like you were hanging around car 420 too much that day Razz

--Isaac
SFR Chief of Timing and Computer Magic
SM 71
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108155 is a reply to message #108144] Fri, 21 March 2014 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fast87 is currently offline  fast87
First Gear

It was a fun course and I liked the speed. However, there were some troubling issues I thought should be mentioned. Mind you, it's been thirty years since I last autocrossed and things have changed, so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn. I noticed that the course outline was layed down on the outside of the cones, shouldn't the cones be outside of the course? After all, that's why you are penalized for hitting them. Secondly, there was a great deal of poor attention to the cars on course by the corner workers. I saw two cars DNF without being called in. Also a number of hit cones were missed due to workers not paying attention to their area. Autocross is a great sport and we all need to put our best effort forward to keep it that way.

Mike Benzon
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108159 is a reply to message #108155] Fri, 21 March 2014 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JourdanWithaU is currently offline  JourdanWithaU   United States
Sixth Gear

Fair points.

The chalk is for reference. Whether it's inside the cones or outside, it makes no difference. The cones are the boundaries.

Ive noticed that the poor course workers has been an ongoing issue that's getting worse. I tried to make a point of it during the meeting. But it looks like I failed on that.

Jourdan R.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
151 STM-SM
Njenius Grafix
Lubrify Racing Fluids
Auto Innovations
RBMS Auto Care
GST Motorsports
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108162 is a reply to message #108159] Fri, 21 March 2014 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Kelly Jr. is currently offline  John Kelly Jr.   United States
First Gear

With the chalk inboard of the pylons, it is my opinion beginners are not misled and the fun factor is increased. In viewing the videos of Round 4, it seems there were several areas where there were no chalked lines and you really had to "look ahead" to figure out where the course goes. Plus the chalked line makes it very clear where the course goes. The driver thus saves time. In a similar fashion, the organizers do not have to deal with lost drivers because few driver get "lost." That's a pure business point of view, of course.--John Kelly
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108163 is a reply to message #108162] Fri, 21 March 2014 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
walk   United States
Top Time of Day

Chalk lines inside or outside of the cones has been debated before... I believe the consensus is outside is better, but it's up to the course designer/chairs etc. In either case the chalk is only a guideline, there are no penalties for hitting or going outside of the chalk lines. That's what the cones are for.

Issues with course workers not being on the ball seem to be perennial, and in all groups I've run with. It happens more often when you have a good turnout and end up with 5+ workers at each station. People like to chat... Also the more seasoned racers gravitate towards the off-course work assignments - grid, starter, timing & scoring, etc... It is totally within the chairperson's power to (re)assign a veteran to work on course if he/she feels the need to have an experienced person at a particular station..

Jeff W.
1994 Miata #94 E/Street
Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108164 is a reply to message #108155] Fri, 21 March 2014 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day

fast87 wrote on Fri, 21 March 2014 09:12
It was a fun course and I liked the speed. However, there were some troubling issues I thought should be mentioned. Mind you, it's been thirty years since I last autocrossed and things have changed, so I hope I'm not speaking out of turn. I noticed that the course outline was layed down on the outside of the cones, shouldn't the cones be outside of the course? After all, that's why you are penalized for hitting them.

The cones determine the course, not the chalked lines. The chalked likes are simply a reference. They help keep someone from thinking that a cone gap is a gate.

Dan Pellow
---------------

[Updated on: Fri, 21 March 2014 17:14]

Re: SCCA Round 4 [message #108165 is a reply to message #108162] Fri, 21 March 2014 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Time of Day

John Kelly Jr. wrote on Fri, 21 March 2014 11:12
In viewing the videos of Round 4, it seems there were several areas where there were no chalked lines and you really had to "look ahead" to figure out where the course goes. P

I just looked a round 4 video. The course was completely chalked except for the slaloms. Not sure where your statement comes from Question

Auto crossing 101......look ahead or get lost

Dan Pellow
---------------

[Updated on: Fri, 21 March 2014 12:34]

Previous Topic: Skid Pad Testing at Thunderhill
Next Topic: SFR Round 5 Preregistration Is Up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 09:55:52 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01398 seconds