Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Autocross w/ High School Students (Setting up the "Doh-Nut" as inexpensively and effectively as possible)
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106141 is a reply to message #105789] Sat, 11 January 2014 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashyers is currently offline  ashyers   United States
First Gear

The Doh-nut is coming along. We put the wheels back on the ground on 12/20 and did some laps around the parking lot to break in the diff and check over the new bits. Over the holiday I sorted out the heater core and some wiring issues so the kids and I would be in good shape when they returned. Much of this past week has been occupied with making the EEC-IV happy so we can get this thing smogged & tagged. It's been an adventure sorting out years of questionable work, but at the end of the day yesterday we achieved no more codes Grin! There were a few pretty good "Deals of the Day" at MMS over break too, so Santa did make a visit to the Shop.

I hope to spend next week working on the engine and transmission. Once they are all completely checked over we'll be playing on the dyno, the alignment rack, and off to the smog shop. Hopefully there will not be too many surprises!

If anyone has a line on some good used struts/shocks and sticky 225/50R16 tires, I may be interested.

Andy
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106249 is a reply to message #106141] Fri, 17 January 2014 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iRock is currently offline  iRock
First Gear

This is awesome. I would have loved to have a program like this when I was in school.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i422/KA11350FSPORT/147079581.jpg
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106426 is a reply to message #106249] Sun, 26 January 2014 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

Tomorrow the Doh-nut hits the rollers for a little rear gear break-in and some "durability" testing. Hopefully it won't self destruct! If all's OK it'll be off to smog and registration this week. I'm going to tell the students the "plan" tomorrow. At this point they don't know what we're doing with the car Smile.
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106428 is a reply to message #106426] Sun, 26 January 2014 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Pellow is currently offline  Dan Pellow   
Top Time of Day

nice

Dan Pellow
---------------
Image is property of Morris Minor Owners Club
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106567 is a reply to message #106428] Sat, 01 February 2014 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

Getting a 25 year old used and abused 5.0 to pass smog...Big Fun. It was a long week, but the Doh-nut managed to survive its first batch of dyno pulls and pass smog. This was not without a bit of drama, but it's done, legally I might add! I did learn that letting one's significant other "warm up" the car in the school's empty parking lot may not be the most brilliant of plans. It seems a light V8 automatic appeals to more than just myself and my students. I just hope that I don't have to answer for it on Monday Smile. At this point, the car seems to run OK, the wheels are pointed in the right direction, it's not pissing fluids, and most importantly it's fun. Tags Monday and hopefully it will last until Sunday! I need to start to figure out logistics now.
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106575 is a reply to message #106567] Sat, 01 February 2014 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day

ashyers wrote on Sat, 01 February 2014 16:14
I did learn that letting one's significant other "warm up" the car in the school's empty parking lot may not be the most brilliant of plans.

Now that right there is funny. I can say that my better half likes to use and abuse my Mustang whenever she take it out too. On Girl's night out, the Mustang stays home......She takes the truck Laughing

See you at Boondoggle.

Dan Pellow
---------------

[Updated on: Sat, 01 February 2014 20:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106578 is a reply to message #106575] Sun, 02 February 2014 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

There's no better Mustang to drive than one that you don't own!

Now that the car looks like it will make it, I need some help on organization.

How many people may we enter using one vehicle?
If we have a large # of people running one car is this going to present a problem?
What else should I be worrying about?!

I'll discuss autocross etiquette with the kids this week, and we should have a few adults participating too, so things should go smoothly.
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106579 is a reply to message #106578] Sun, 02 February 2014 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Time of Day

The SFR supplemental reg #34 states that the maximum entrants per car per run group is 4. In practice, 2 or 3 is better if you have few enough drivers to split up to 6 run groups that way.

http://www.sfr-solo.org/solo2/Results/2013/supps.html

All minor drivers must have the minor release forms signed by their parents and themselves. The also must have their drivers license to compete alone. A driver with a learners permit may compete if their parent/guardian/approved instructor rides with them.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/Club%20Forms/M inorReleaseFormMS-L_W_Program.pdf

Bring a roll of contrasting color tape, preferably 1.5" wide to make 8" or taller numbers on both sides of the car that can be changed per driver, i.e. 30, 130, 301 easily just by moving the 1.

I presume all of your students will be running in the fun class in each of the run groups, so have the word fun on both sides of the car.

Come early. Nothing worse than having to hurry. The more times your students can walk the course and walk with the novice instructor, the better.

We have loaner helmets in the trailer but if any of your students have a Snell M2000 /SA2000 or later helmet, it would be best if they brought it.

Let's see, anyone, did I leave anything out?

Dan Pellow
---------------

[Updated on: Sun, 02 February 2014 10:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106592 is a reply to message #106578] Sun, 02 February 2014 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chilema is currently offline  chilema   
Fourth Gear

ashyers wrote on Sun, 02 February 2014 09:50
There's no better Mustang to drive than one that you don't own!

Now that the car looks like it will make it, I need some help on organization.

How many people may we enter using one vehicle?
If we have a large # of people running one car is this going to present a problem?
What else should I be worrying about?!

I'll discuss autocross etiquette with the kids this week, and we should have a few adults participating too, so things should go smoothly.

If you guys are going to be there the whole day don't hesitate to send the kids over for some ride-alongs! I'm running run group 6. Smile

Howard Yang
ESP #89 - 2013 Ford Mustang GT (traded in for twin turbo soccer dad SUV Razz)
STU # 89 - 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (sold)
GS # 89 - 2016 Focus ST
Re: Autocross w/ High School Students [message #106645 is a reply to message #106592] Tue, 04 February 2014 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
First Gear

Car's got tags Smile!
Previous Topic: Which MR2-Spyder for stock?
Next Topic: Recommend a GoPro Mic?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 07 21:49:22 PST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01629 seconds