Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » New to Autocross/New to the Forum » Hello, Newbie here from south bay
Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104725] Fri, 01 November 2013 00:44 Go to next message
doubletap is currently offline  doubletap
Second Gear

Hello, I have been wanting to do track days for sometime now. I have been with my buddies at the oakland, marina and santa clara events in the past but only as a spectator. I figured that it takes quite a bit of commitment and I was involved in other hobbies. I searched the net for information and glad I found this site. I am debating as to which club do I sign up with that will beneficial in this new hobby. Should I sign up with SCCA or BMWCCA? Cant wait to join my first autox. thanks Hope to meet you guys in the future.
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104726 is a reply to message #104725] Fri, 01 November 2013 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Second Gear

Also Is there a search button for the classifieds? Just incase I want to browse for some parts
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104727 is a reply to message #104726] Fri, 01 November 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   
Top Time of Day
Forum GOD

Welcome. All of the clubs that run in our area are well run and do fun courses. I think you'll have a great time at all of them. I think most of us run with all of the clubs, depending on who has an event that weekend. You really can't go wrong.

The search is for the entire site. You do have the ability to filter your search and choose only one forum, though.

99 Mazda Miata CS #194
85 Toyota Corolla GTS Drift Machine
72 Honda Z600 good FSP car?
Avitar credit: Zyrano
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104728 is a reply to message #104727] Fri, 01 November 2013 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G_Ride is currently offline  G_Ride   United States
Top PAX

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to limit yourself to just one club. You can participate in multiple clubs.

--Erik
2013 Subaru BRZ
68 STX
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104729 is a reply to message #104727] Fri, 01 November 2013 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btwyx
Fourth Gear

You can sign up for as many clubs as you like. We run with both the SCCA and the BMW club. The competition is stronger with the SCCA, the BMW club gives you more runs per event. It really doesn't take much commitment, half a day here and there, unless you get serious. If you want to win something though, the first step is to turn up to all events of your chosen series.

If you want to do track days, my recommendation, particularly for a first timer is Hooked on Driving. We'll be at Sonoma with then the day after Thanksgiving. http://www.hookedondriving.com That's a very different thing than an autocross.

Barry

#94/194
SS 15 Cayman S or
HS 13 MINI Cooper "IPOD MNI".
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104730 is a reply to message #104726] Fri, 01 November 2013 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btwyx
Fourth Gear

doubletap wrote on Fri, 01 November 2013 01:01
Also Is there a search button for the classifieds? Just incase I want to browse for some parts
You can always use Google. A search like:

allintitle: Classifieds miata site:baautox.com

Will find all ads with "miata" in the title.

Barry

#94/194
SS 15 Cayman S or
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #104731 is a reply to message #104725] Fri, 01 November 2013 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly   United States
Third Gear

Autocross and Track Days are two VERY different activities. Your original message indicates you have visited autocross meets. Please do several autocross meets before you attempt a "Track Day."
--John Kelly
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #105313 is a reply to message #104729] Sun, 24 November 2013 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Second Gear

Thanks for all the great replies. I will check out Sonoma. Also for the tips on the search function. btw I just picked up my helmet. Very Happy
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #105314 is a reply to message #104731] Sun, 24 November 2013 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Second Gear

By track days I meant car control or hpde with an instructor.
Re: Hello, Newbie here from south bay [message #105316 is a reply to message #105314] Sun, 24 November 2013 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
btwyx
Fourth Gear

doubletap wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 02:29
I will check out Sonoma.

doubletap wrote on Sun, 24 November 2013 02:32
By track days I meant car control or hpde with an instructor.
HPDE is what I'd understand as a Track Day. I'd disagree that you need to do a autocross before a track day, you could start with either, a track day or autocross. They're very different activities, and both great fun.

I also wouldn't recommend Sonoma as your first track day. Its the most difficult track in the area. Its also hemmed in by concrete walls which is quite disconcerting even to experienced driver. The best track in the area for beginners is Thunderhill, but its a bit of a hike to get to (in Willows). There's also Laguna Seca which is closer by (Monterey) and also great fun.

Barry

#94/194
SS 15 Cayman S or

[Updated on: Sun, 24 November 2013 08:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: New guy here from the East Bay
Next Topic: New guy from the east bay
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 23 07:27:44 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01132 seconds