Keep us running!
Order HD Helmet HERO at GoPro.com

Next Event: AAS Round 1

Home » Bay Area Autocross Forum » General Autocross Discussion » Room for rent
Room for rent [message #100845] Wed, 29 May 2013 20:28 Go to next message
Venomous is currently offline  Venomous   United States
First Gear

Hi,
My name is Darren Kidd, I have been ax'ing for 5 years +/-, some of you will probably recognize my fast car with it's average driver Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=2466&private=0

My 21 year old daughter has been fortunate to get an internship with the "SF Bay Guardian" newspaper for 10 weeks, starting June 4th - yes next week.

My question for you all is, do any of you know someone that could take a roommate for 10 weeks, or can guide us on where would be a Safe place and areas to avoid. She'll be working on Market st / Bush st downtown, she can stay in the burbs and commute, or stay somewhere in town with a spot to keep her car.

Any help will be appreciated

Please send emails to Dkidd at FormTightinc dot com

thanks
DK
  • Attachment: 7 3.jpg
    (Size: 156.98KB, Downloaded 533 times)

DK
Re: Room for rent [message #100973 is a reply to message #100845] Sun, 02 June 2013 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Venomous is currently offline  Venomous   
First Gear

90 views not 1 reply?

different world than our RMSOLO.org Frown

DK
Re: Room for rent [message #100974 is a reply to message #100973] Sun, 02 June 2013 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TPColgett is currently offline  TPColgett   United States
Sixth Gear

Saddly I do not know SF well ad I'm in the East Bay. I have a friend who I believe also works on Market. I willl ask!!!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz162/TPColgett/Golden%20Gate%20Fields%20AutoX%20July%202012/SmallSig.jpg
Tyler
STF #8 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Still an AutoX Noob >_<
Re: Room for rent [message #100976 is a reply to message #100974] Sun, 02 June 2013 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

She can safely live with a couple of married gays for $50/week, but she'd need to commute from North Highlands, so there's a reply Smile

Jim
Re: Room for rent [message #100996 is a reply to message #100976] Mon, 03 June 2013 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tigermack is currently offline  tigermack   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

I don't think many lives in downtown SF?

Mack Tsang
13 BRZ #188
05 Mazda3 FSP #188 - retired
prevs. 07 Mazdaspeed & 95 BMW STX #188

http://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack

Sandbagger #1
Re: Room for rent [message #101003 is a reply to message #100996] Mon, 03 June 2013 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TPColgett is currently offline  TPColgett   United States
Sixth Gear

The reply from my friend who works/lives in SF:

"She needs a place. I can tell you neighborhoods to avoid. Avoid: Tenderloin, Civic Center, Van Ness, Lower Pacific Heights, Lower Nob Hill, much of the mission unless it is Valencia or above (meaning toward Guerrero/Castro-Noe Valley Districts are safe-ish). Best bets for a young girl, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Noe Valley, Castro, Duboce Triangle, Cole Valley, Panhandle, and parts of Hayes Valley"

She has been living in the city for a little over 3 years now and works in the same area. She was looking for a new place herself so sadly did not know of a room available Confused

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz162/TPColgett/Golden%20Gate%20Fields%20AutoX%20July%202012/SmallSig.jpg
Tyler
STF #8 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
Still an AutoX Noob >_<
Re: Room for rent [message #101020 is a reply to message #100976] Mon, 03 June 2013 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

atcovan wrote on Sun, 02 June 2013 20:53
She can safely live with a couple of married gays for $50/week, but she'd need to commute from North Highlands, so there's a reply Smile

Thanks for the reply, We'll pass...

you're married? good luck with that... Very Happy

DK

DK
Re: Room for rent [message #101021 is a reply to message #101003] Mon, 03 June 2013 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First Gear

TPColgett wrote on Mon, 03 June 2013 09:39
The reply from my friend who works/lives in SF:

"She needs a place. I can tell you neighborhoods to avoid. Avoid: Tenderloin, Civic Center, Van Ness, Lower Pacific Heights, Lower Nob Hill, much of the mission unless it is Valencia or above (meaning toward Guerrero/Castro-Noe Valley Districts are safe-ish). Best bets for a young girl, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Noe Valley, Castro, Duboce Triangle, Cole Valley, Panhandle, and parts of Hayes Valley"

She has been living in the city for a little over 3 years now and works in the same area. She was looking for a new place herself so sadly did not know of a room available Confused

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it

DK

DK
Re: Room for rent [message #101024 is a reply to message #101020] Mon, 03 June 2013 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atcovan is currently offline  atcovan   United States
Top Time of Day
CONTRIBUTOR

Venomous wrote on Mon, 03 June 2013 16:05

Thanks for the reply, We'll pass...

you're married? good luck with that... Very Happy

DK
Yep, 5 years this Nov 4 at SF city hall. Couldn't be happier. The cute girl and I are just friends Smile

Jim
Re: Room for rent [message #101025 is a reply to message #101021] Mon, 03 June 2013 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
m0r1san is currently offline  m0r1san   United States
Second Gear

Best of luck in the search. Not sure if you found a place yet, but I live in SF and here is my advice..

There are many safe areas, but probably best if she avoids the bad areas in this map:
http:// www.trulia.com/crime/#!san-francisco-ca/15/37.77015,-122.423 23/San_Francisco,CA,Mission_Bay/
It really depends what you are used to and your comfort level around poverty, etc. Where I live happens to be deep red.. haha.

I'd also suggest looking for rooms on https://www.airbnb.com/. My friend is in town for a 9-week class and had the most success finding a place on this site. Obviously a personal connection would be best/safest, but this is a pretty good option, too, and more legitimate than Craigslist, I would think.. but perhaps more expensive?

Oh, and this is strange advice coming from a fellow car-nut, if she ends up living in the city, ditch the car. All the public transportation options feed through Market street, so there isn't a need for it. And, you'll thank me when you don't have to pay her parking tickets every week!

But when it comes the needs vs wants of car ownership, I'm sure none of us here make "rational" decisions.. so I wont judge Very Happy

Jeff
-
[STF #5] 2003 RSX Type-S
Previous Topic: Class champion question
Next Topic: Which is/was your favorite autocross car?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 23 09:39:23 PDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00900 seconds